X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DocDrako
    Formerly Doc Drako
    • Nov 11, 2004

Oh, What Might Have Been

This story began over a year ago, but I'm just getting over the heartbreak, and now the story can be told.

Last year, my wife and I were looking for a new place to live. We were considering new cities, new types of homes (houses, apartments, mobile homes) and basically just trying to find the perfect place.

Well, I found my perfect place in a gated Mobile Home park. When we began the tour, I didn't know how awesome the place was. But in moments I would find out.

The double-wide mobile home was well maintained by it's former owner, who had apparently lived there a long time. All the walls were faux wood paneling. The carpet was a nice, thick, dark red-orange shag. The bedroom had big be-tassled lamps that hung over the nightstands. There was a built-in wet bar in the dining room backed by a large mirror and glass shelves (I could immediately see it becoming my Mego/Toy display area). There were intercoms built into the walls of several rooms, including the bathroom, which featured a large sunken bathtub. The bathroom, also carpeted, was luxuriously large.

The kitchen was round. Yes, round. It looked out onto the carpeted dining room, and a sliding glass door exited out onto the patio, which led to a large deck built overhanging a large rocky cliff. At the bottom was the road that led into the community.

The living room was huge, with one entire wall dedicated to windows. One wall just outside of the dining room, had built-in china cabinets that I instantly claimed for another toy display. The front door also led to the patio & deck area. The deck area led around the end of the mobile home to the carport on the other side, and an enclosed sun room big enough to set up a card table for games in the summer.

Oh, the beauty of it all! I was instantly in love with this glimpse into the past. It reminded me of my aunt's mobile home from the 70's and I could see myself living there until I grew old, refusing to change the decor one bit. It was a place Brick Mantooth would have loved to own. The realtor remarked about the decor, stating that the elderly gentleman must have never changed the decor since the 70's. My wife liked the size and the layout, but didn't care much for the rest. But she could see the dazed look on my face, the bliss I was feeling, and told the realtor we'd like to apply. It was the greatest moment of 2010 for me.

Alas, we were outbid on the place. I was crushed. I knew the new tenants would change everything. I knew they would never see the beauty I saw. It was like having a chance to go back in time, only to be denied at the last minute. I could have lived there happily for the rest of my life with all of my toys, my wife, and my kids.

I would have turned that place into a slice of the 70's. I would have used Plaid Stallions as a guide to transform the place into the greatest "pad" in the community.

Oh, what might have been. I can still see the place when I think of it. I just wish I would have taken some pictures.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Oh wow...I would have loved that place too. It sounds like 70s bliss! Well, maybe you can still decorate one of your rooms 70s style as tribute. Or maybe somewhere out there is another groovy 70s pad. I'll keep good vibes.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• DocDrako
      Formerly Doc Drako
      • Nov 11, 2004

Originally posted by HardyGirl
      ...It sounds like 70s bliss!...
      Oh it was, my friend. It was.

"I prefer to remain an enigma."

DRAKO'S GOOD TRADERS LIST

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

Tell the new tenants that if they decide to change the decor that you'd be interested in the stuff they're getting rid of. You might put it to good use in the future.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

I can't tell you how many shows I've watched on HGTV that had houses like that. Mostly on House Hunters. I fall in love with the place but the couples looking at the place don't. I keep yelling at the TV "take one of the other houses if you don't like it!" They never listen. They always take that house and change it.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
            MeGoing
            • May 14, 2003

Maybe, just maybe, there is something better waiting down the line.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎