X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

Almost lost my dog today.

After her morning walk, my German Shepherd/Border Collie mix suddenly started convulsing. Thick mucus came dripping out of her mouth, and..ahum...the other end also started gushing.
    We called our vet, who was away on a day trip, but he left his family at the beach and came back home to assist.
    He said not to worry, a case of "explosive diarreah", probably something she ate, no reason to fear the worst.
    Half an hour later, she got up and blood was coming out of her behind, dripping down her legs.
    She collapsed, fell bang on her head, and couldn't get up.
    We called the vet again, who was on the way, and he said not to panic, sometimes diarreah is bloody.

When he came, she was shaking like mad, a total mess.
    He checked her over, gave her three injections, and she calmed down.
    She's been doing better in the last three hours, and he repeated the injections to get her stabilized.
    She's twelve now, and at this age, you expect the worst.
    She must have eaten something on her walk, she's always looking for junk to eat, it's something we've never been able to make her stop. The vet said it wasn't poison, and didn't sound like a foreign object.

I can tell you, it's shocking to see her convulsing and bleeding.
    We need to keep an eye on her, and decide if she needs more tests.

Even though she was weak, just now she was checking out my wife who was eating a cookie...
    No food today, pooch....

Sorry for the graphic description. Just needed to get it out of my system...
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."
  • HardyGirl
    Mego Museum's Poster Girl
    • Apr 3, 2007

Poor poochie! I hope she'll be better soon.
    "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
    'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
    Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
    If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

hope all goes well, I know how it is with the old pooches.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Wow, I'm glad she's OK now. But it must've been some sort of poison, no? Even tho the vet said it wasn't, it sure sounds like it was
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• MEMEGO
          Career Member
          • Sep 6, 2007

As a pet owner myself, I can understand how you and your family feel. I hope all is well for your baby. Please do keep me up to date.
          I had mixed golden yrs ago, she was 14 and she would colapse on floor and shake then could not get back up, we had to hold her down then pick her up, holding her up, then she used to walk normal till she had another attack. She started with this at about 12yrs of age, vet said it was cancer, just make her comfortable, she was in no real pain, she lived for 2 more yrs till she passed in her sleep, she went to her bed fell asleep and never woke up :( she was a true sweetheart.

Comment

• toyman
            Just Another Collector
            • Sep 1, 2008

I had one that did almost the same thing when she was a pup,no bleeding,but she had eaten a mushroom.I hope yours is well and has no more problems.

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
              MeGoing
              • May 14, 2003

That's terrible, hoping she recovers completely very quickly.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I can imagine how terrifying that must have been. I hope she gets better soon.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• livnxxxl
                  Megoholic RocketScientist
                  • Oct 23, 2007

Wow! That is horrible man! I hope that she continues to improve and get better real soon. Pets can be like family members to their owners.
                  Enjoy what you like, and let others enjoy what they like. (C) Azrak 2009

Too much space. Need more toys!

Check out the ever growing Mego like sized vehicles data base.

Comment

• jessica
                    fortune favors the bold
                    • Nov 5, 2007

Good luck. That sounds scary. I may have fainted, had I been in your place.
                    Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                    Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                    1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                    1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                      Invincible Ironing Man
                      • Feb 28, 2008

Well, things are looking a bit better.
                      She's still weak, but she ate some dry bread (her favorite), and is drinking water.

We don't have kids, so our dogs are the closest family we have.
                      I slept on the couch next to her last night, just to keep an eye on her.

My Jack Russell was pleased about the sleepover. In the middle of the night, he snuck onto my chest, wagging his tail ("let's play!")...
                      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bizarro Amy
                        Formerly known as Del
                        • Dec 12, 2004

So glad to hear she's doing better. My pets are family members too!
                        Hey! Where's the waiter with the water for my daughter?

Check out my customs!
                        https://www.facebook.com/BizarroAmy
                        http://www.tumblr.com/blog/bizarroamy

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
                          MeGoing
                          • May 14, 2003

I'm also glad to hear she is doing better!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎