X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hotfoot
    Dazed and Confused
    • Dec 30, 2007

Why is it so #$%^& difficult

Why is it so #$%^& difficult to back off and let someone into the lane in front of you? I was signaling for 1/2 mile to move left so that I could turn. Everyone just kept pulling up beside me and blaring their horn. after the 6th car I started pulling over where there was a half a gap and the B$%^& accelerated to block me. My signal had been on for over 1/2 mile and not one person wold back off. Worst part traffic was flowing in both lanes at about 30 mph. Is it really that frigging difficult to let someone over?
    Too many toys. Not enough space!
  • rcbats1
    Banned
    • Nov 1, 2005

oh...I have a million of these complaints. As I commute everyday. The one that kills me other than most drivers these days are totally inconsiderate, is someone that stops at a yeild sign and has the lane all to themselves.
    I could go on but wont.....drivers these days!
    Remain calm...that's my driving motto.

Comment

• jp1969
      Banned
      • Dec 10, 2009

Common courtesy has gone out of style.
      Everyones in a hurry to get home and chill in front of their computer.

Comment

• Adam West
        Museum CPA
        • Apr 14, 2003

Courtesy has gone out when it comes to driving. Most of my issues also deal with on ramps. I have had this happen on more than one occassion. I am entering the highway and there is plenty of space to enter without the car even having to slow down. Instead, I see the car start accelerating to the point where I have to come to a complete stop to allow the jackhammer to go by. My other big headache is a spot on the highway where two lanes converge to one. There isn't a prodominent lane and both need to move in. Courtesy would say go one at a time but I have literally had cars basically tailgate the car in front of them so I can't get in. Their actions are not only rude but serve no purpose. There is traffic so they are only getting one car length in front of me...reducing their time by 5 seconds or less.
        "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
        ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Adam West
          Museum CPA
          • Apr 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hotfoot
          Why is it so #$%^& difficult to back off and let someone into the lane in front of you? I was signaling for 1/2 mile to move left so that I could turn. Everyone just kept pulling up beside me and blaring their horn. after the 6th car I started pulling over where there was a half a gap and the B$%^& accelerated to block me. My signal had been on for over 1/2 mile and not one person wold back off. Worst part traffic was flowing in both lanes at about 30 mph. Is it really that frigging difficult to let someone over?
          When multiple people do this, I simply pick the right point and poke my nose out into the lane so they have no choice but to let me in or run into my car. It's unfortunate that you have to do this sometimes.
          "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
          ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Oooooooh, I'm staying far away from this thread. Once I get started...
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Hotfoot
              Dazed and Confused
              • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Adam West
              When multiple people do this, I simply pick the right point and poke my nose out into the lane so they have no choice but to let me in or run into my car. It's unfortunate that you have to do this sometimes.
              Thats what I was doing yet they still tried to push past me!

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Getting rid of my car and moving into the city were the two best things I ever did.

Comment

• Megotu
                  jerk
                  • Dec 16, 2001

I HATE it when there I am toodling along in my automobile and some yahoo who has had a turn signal on for half a mile starts trying to edge into my lane. It's like this French Fry Guy has never heard of the rule that if ONE person gets in front of me, then I lose. Just the other day I had to accelerate and leave a 3 ft gap with the car in front of me when this Milk Shake for brains tries to creep into my lane.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Brad
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Aug 20, 2010

Some years back, in the mid 1990s, 3 of my friends and I were going to a Bears game. I was driving my 1976 Chrysler New Yorker and we had to get over into the right lane to enter the parking lot about a half mile up. I was getting blocked by some jerk in a nice, new, black 7 series BMW. My best friend, who was riding shotgun, said "just do it" so I just started changing lanes. The site of a battered land yacht coming right at his pretty new car must have made the BMW driver nervous because he backed off real fast and let us in! This maneuver is now known as the "swoop move" by my friends and my wife.

Driving in Chicago is unlike anywhere else! I love it but most people hate it.
                    "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• Hotfoot
                      Dazed and Confused
                      • Dec 30, 2007

Originally posted by Brad
                      Some years back, in the mid 1990s, 3 of my friends and I were going to a Bears game. I was driving my 1976 Chrysler New Yorker and we had to get over into the right lane to enter the parking lot about a half mile up. I was getting blocked by some jerk in a nice, new, black 7 series BMW. My best friend, who was riding shotgun, said "just do it" so I just started changing lanes. The site of a battered land yacht coming right at his pretty new car must have made the BMW driver nervous because he backed off real fast and let us in! This maneuver is now known as the "swoop move" by my friends and my wife.

Driving in Chicago is unlike anywhere else! I love it but most people hate it.
                      I learned to drive in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. The drivers down here are worse it seems.

Comment

• Brad
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Aug 20, 2010

Originally posted by Hotfoot
                        I learned to drive in the Western Suburbs of Chicago. The drivers down here are worse it seems.
                        Most of our driving is on I90 either into the city or through the city on our way to split off onto I80 in Indiana when we are headed to PA. It has progressively gotten worse. Used to be traffic jams during rush hour but now it is nearly all the time. Mostly East bound around the Des Plaines oasis (or just before it) all the the way to Ohio Street exit. And they always seem to have sections tore up and lanes closed for construction. Nothing like going from 80mph (which only keeps you flowing with the rest of the traffic) to stopped in a matter of seconds!

The joke is that 90 is both the highway designation and the speed limit.

And don't get me started on all the squids doing wheelies on their sport bikes while doing 80mph or more on the highway!
                        "Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them, and nothing to you." - Frank Barron

Comment

• torgospizza
                          Theocrat of Pan Tang
                          • Aug 19, 2010

I know where you're coming from, Hotfoot. Sometimes, the worst part of my day is the drives to and from work. I'm trying to find humor in them, though.

Comment

• Hulk
                            Mayor of Megoville
                            • May 10, 2003

I had to look at where you lived, and it all made sense. I have lived in NY/NJ, Atlanta and Phoenix, and driven with the best and worst in between. I was literally telling someone today that in Georgia, a turn signal means "please speed up and cut me off". With out a doubt, it is worse there than anywhere else. My theory is that Georgia folks are so sugary sweet to each other in person all day, that when you take away that face to face contact, people become dog eat dog behind the wheel.

Comment

• Hulk
                              Mayor of Megoville
                              • May 10, 2003

The cure for this is of course, to never use your turn signal when you absolutely need to get in a lane, just sit in someone's blind spot, wait until a small gap opens up, then floor it and pounce in front of them. Trust me, they might flip you the bird, but they will respect you more than using a turn signal.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎