Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So much for the Disney re-make of Yellow Submarine...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 23, 2001

So much for the Disney re-make of Yellow Submarine...

Supposed to have been like a Pixar style re-make of Yellow Submarine...didn't know it has had problems from the word "Go" :

Yellow Submarine Sinking Fast | Big Cartoon Blog

Kind of glad that it's not going to be made...especially without any involvement from Paul and Ringo and the estates of George and John. Some things are better left alone.

I remember years ago when WNYW Channel 5 here in NY showed Yellow Subamrine it was hosted by one of my LEAST FAVORITE DJ's of all time Cousin Brucie. He did an interview with Al Broadax the Producer of the original and in the interview Broadax said that they were working on "Strawberry Fields Forever" the Sequel to Yellow Submarine. I wonder what happened to that project? I don't think the one that Brodax was talking about had anything to do with Michael Jacksons attempt at a animated Beatles film...I think it was completely separate from what Jackson wanted to do.
    "When not too many people can see we're all the same
    And because of all their tears,
    Their eyes can't hope to see
    The beauty that surrounds them
    Isn't it a pity".

- "Isn't It A Pity"
    By George Harrison

My Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders list:
    Good Traders List - Page 80 - Mego Talk
  • SeattleEd
    SynthoRes Transmigrator
    • Oct 24, 2007

Bummer. But yes, Mars Needs Mom is a dud and not sure why anyone didn't do anything about it before hand. My daughter doesn't even want to see it.
    I was wondering why they removed Seth Green's VO from the main character and utilized an actual kid.
    Some things are best left untouched and why mess with something already perfect. My daughter's love the original just like how they prefer the original Willy Wonka.
    Glad the estates and remaining Beatles stayed away.
    But still, there is that lingering curiosity of seeing some of the characters in CG and hearing the songs in surround. Of course the DVD version of YS has been mixed and mastered to true 5.1.
    Looks like Zemeckis has lost his touch. Still like what he did with "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". My daughter LOVES that movie.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

This was not a Pixar-style proposed animated film (which are all fantastic and are box office hits)...it was a Robert Zemeckis motion-capture style of animation...which has failed to grasp movie goers attention.

Motion-capture tends to creep people out...it just plain looks weird...and they never make any money...just look at all of Zemeckis past motion-capture films...The Polar Express, Beowulf, A Christmas Carol, and his latest disaster, Mars Needs Moms...all box office failures.

The only motion-capture film that has worked has been Avatar...but Cameron created a very alien world mixed with real actual human actors...people accepted that. Zemeckis on the other hand...wants to make his characters as human-looking as possible..and it all comes across as very creepy-looking.

The big movie studios basically told Zemeckis to stop his motion-capture stuff (Disney closed ImageMovers Digital Studios)...and come back to doing live action films.

Here's a bit more detail on why Zemeckis' Mars Needs Moms bombed...

Why Disney's 'Mars Needs Moms' Bombed - MOVIE TALK on Yahoo! Movies
      Last edited by Hector; Mar 16, '11, 6:43 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

• SeattleEd
        SynthoRes Transmigrator
        • Oct 24, 2007

^^ Interesting article. Curious to know why Seth Green's voice was removed from the main character.
        After viewing the EPK on this movie, it just didn't look interesting.

Zemeckis is a big Beatle fan so I wonder if he plans on making another Beatle related movie.

**Just found out why his voice was replaced. 37yo playing a 9yo wouldn't fly. LOL. You can hear his original voice on all the early trailers.**
        Last edited by SeattleEd; Mar 16, '11, 6:41 PM.

Comment

• Joe90
          Most Special Agent
          • Feb 23, 2008

Mixed feelings on this. I'm a fan of the original Yellow Submarine and have no problem leaving that as the only version, however, I would like to see the other animated project that TVC was involved in, The Beatles Saturday Morning Cartoon, revisited.

An animated show, using the McFarlane styled figures with authentic Liverpudlian accents would be just the thing to introduce a new generation to arguably the Greatest Musical Group of all time.
          90, Joe 90.... Great Shakes : Milk Chocolate -- Shaken, not Stirred.

Comment

• SeattleEd
            SynthoRes Transmigrator
            • Oct 24, 2007

I would like to see the animated series remastered and cleaned up for release.

A stop motion animated show? I'm surprised Robot Chicken has done this already with those McFarlane figures. I would too, enjoy seeing something likes this.

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Zemeckis wants to do a Roger Rabbit sequel...if he stays with traditional hand-drawn animation...combined with live actors...then I'm all for it...but if he wants to make it with that creepy motion-capture crap (which at this point it doesn't seem like it's going to fly anyway)...I'm out.
              sigpic

Comment

• megocrazy
                Museum Trouble Maker
                • Feb 18, 2007

Polar Express creeps me out. I could never watch it. 2 minutes and I was turning it off.
                It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by megocrazy
                  Polar Express creeps me out.
                  So I'm not the only one then...Cool!
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Yellow Submarine is one of them things I can't see any reason to remake. You're not gonna win over the old fans by rendering it with that newfangled "cee-gee-eye" stuff, and I don't think there's much you could add with more detailed animation. (Oddly enough, I don't think having the Fab-4 involved would make a dif, since they weren't really involved with the original....) But rereleasing the old cartoon might be a good go. The animation looks a lot like the Flash stuff everyone's using nowadays, so you wouldn't need to redo anything.

Don C.

Comment

• ctc
                      Fear the monkeybat!
                      • Aug 16, 2001

>Polar Express creeps me out.

7 Films That Got Stuck In The Uncanny Valley - Topless Robot

Don C.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Glad its dead, I didn't like the idea of Disney getting its meathooks into the Beatles.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• david_b
                          Never had enough toys..
                          • May 9, 2008

Yeeeah.., I agree with everyone ~ I don't see the need to remake Yellow Sub. It's reimaging and remastering back in the '90s is beautiful as is...

"What's the Point..?"
                          Peace.. Through Superior Firepower.

Comment

• johnmiic
                            Adrift
                            • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                            I remember years ago when WNYW Channel 5 here in NY showed Yellow Subamrine it was hosted by one of my LEAST FAVORITE DJ's of all time Cousin Brucie. He did an interview with Al Broadax the Producer of the original and in the interview Broadax said that they were working on "Strawberry Fields Forever" the Sequel to Yellow Submarine. I wonder what happened to that project?
                            In remember that Berto! Strawberry Fields seems to be a project that never got off the ground. If you read reviews for Brodax's book on Amazon, Up Periscope Yellow, you'll discover he is hated by many of the people who worked for him.

As for the remake of Yellow Submarine? A 3D version using motion capture would be fine if they weren't aiming for realistic faces. If they would just adapt the characters designs from the original as 3D cartoon characters that would be fine. Zemeckis has to remember that the biggest success for this tech was Golem in LOTR. Golem was never meant to be attractive or endearing, (tho he was often funny for a villain). People accepted Golem for what he was because he wasn't supposed to be like us; he was supposed to be repulsive.

Comment

• boynightwing
                              That Carl Guy
                              • Apr 24, 2002

I didn't mind Monster House. I thought the characters were a touch "ugly" but the story held. I really don't like that motion capture stuff. It's creepy.

I work at a movie theater and because its "march break" for the kids right now we're doing an extra Matinee show for Mars Needs Moms. Yet Nobody's coming. I laughed yesterday when the movie was over and everyone was leaving. I heard this little boy say "Mommy, that movie was baaaaaad." So it can't be good if it failed with the target audience. Rango and Gnomeio and Juliet are constantly selling out every show.

As for Yellow Submarine, I'm embarrassed to say I've never actually seen it. I know what the artwork looks like and I've always thought it was cool looking. I think if done in a Pixar style it would be very nice. Or even a Monsters vs Aliens style.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎