Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My furnace installer almost got fried...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

My furnace installer almost got fried...

I had a furnace guy come out here to install an access compartment for the shut off switch. The original had been covered up and thus failed inspection. The installer created an opening so I could touch the switch (and only the switch). But when he was screwing the cover back in the screw went into the high voltage line. Fortunately the breaker was off. We discovered that when I flipped the breaker on and it fried that bolt. He repaired the high voltage line and everything is fine. But had he done that with the breaker on, he would have been killed. Well, that's all the excitement I need for one day. Thank God it's Friday...
  • megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. I was installing a ceiling in my basement. There as a wood beam that ran across the narrow part of my basement that I drilled into and screwed a bracket for the ceiling. Unknown to me, the beam wasn't solid, it was hollowed out to run the 220 line for my outside central air unit. The screw was embedded into the line, which wasn't apparent until I went to drill the next hole. There is a copper water pipe hanging there and I grabbed the pipe and touched the drill bit to the metal bracket at the same time and the next thing I knew, I was lying on my back looking up at the ceiling. It took a while to figure that one out. I am probably lucky to be alive.

Comment

• MIB41
      Eloquent Member
      • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by megoapesnut
      I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. I was installing a ceiling in my basement. There as a wood beam that ran across the narrow part of my basement that I drilled into and screwed a bracket for the ceiling. Unknown to me, the beam wasn't solid, it was hollowed out to run the 220 line for my outside central air unit. The screw was embedded into the line, which wasn't apparent until I went to drill the next hole. There is a copper water pipe hanging there and I grabbed the pipe and touched the drill bit to the metal bracket at the same time and the next thing I knew, I was lying on my back looking up at the ceiling. It took a while to figure that one out. I am probably lucky to be alive.
      WOW! Thank God your still with us Megoapesnut!

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I'm always afraid of that when banging or drilling into a wall.

They should change all the regulations to demand all wall and ceiling wires be inside metal conduit

Comment

• SlipperyLilSuckers
          MeGoing
          • May 14, 2003

Originally posted by MIB41
          WOW! Thank God your still with us Megoapesnut!
          My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎