Help support the Mego MuseumThe Mego Museum needs your help!
Help support the Mego MuseumThe Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ebonics

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

ebonics

I saw hardygirl's post in another thread and it got me thinking, kids today are speaking more and more slang than ever before. I have a student who I don't think has completed a proper sentence this year. I hear stuff like "I be fogettin da homework Mista A (He is too damn lazy to pronounce my last name, Adanosky)". I see more and more every school year.
  • mitchedwards
    Mego Preservation Society
    • May 2, 2003

Originally posted by txteach
    I saw hardygirl's post in another thread and it got me thinking, kids today are speaking more and more slang than ever before. I have a student who I don't think has completed a proper sentence this year. I hear stuff like "I be fogettin da homework Mista A (He is too damn lazy to pronounce my last name, Adanosky)". I see more and more every school year.

I read the text messaging is playing a big part in this as well. Kids are turning in papers using the spelling they would use in a text message.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Adam West
      Museum CPA
      • Apr 14, 2003

ebonics

noun
      a nonstandard form of American English characteristically spoken by African Americans in the United States

Is this just a politically correct way of saying poor grammar spoken predominantly by African Americans but acceptable? Seriously, ebonics has no meaning to me. Poor grammar is poor grammar regardless of race. I hear all races use nonstandard forms of American English whether it's poor grammar, slang, etc.

There is definitely a trend going on with younger adults that I find disturbing. There are many college educated young adults entering the work force who don't seem to know how to write a professional email or speak in a professional manner or even to distinguish when it is appropriate to do so.

I have a 25 year old employee working for me who sends out what are supposed to be professional emails that reach the highest level of management in our organization including the CEO, COO, etc. They read like text messages, are very informal, and are filled with emoticons. In short, they are unprofessional. I have attempted to coach this employee on the difference between a professional email and a non-professional email as well as when it would be appropriate to use one vs. the other. She looks at her emails with all seriousness and has no clue that the smiley faces and the text message short hand are not professionally written.

I also just came out of a meeting with a young auditor who was asking some questions of senior management. Everytime, someone would answer, he would say "cool" or "right on" and even though he doesn't work for me I just don't understand what is considered professional writing or speaking anymore.
      "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
      ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Not a big fan of the "ebonics" altho' my grammar on and off the page is far from perfect
        --- STILL sometimes with some people I feel like I'm listening to the jive talkin' dudes
        from the AIRPLANE movie and it gets annoying
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

yeah that's exactly it,the text messaging thing.Looks like that Idiocracy movie thing my be coming true after all
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• txteach
            Banned
            • Jun 17, 2005

Let me clarify my post. ALL kids are guilty of this. I see white kids calling each other the N word to mean buddy. I have hispanic, white, black, and all others who speak like they have no command of the language.

Comment

• sauce
              Removed
              • Jun 24, 2007

I teach high school English and certainly see my fair share of students using nonstandard forms in many different contexts. I try to use it as a way into teaching them the standard forms. I think the challenge of our ever-changing culture lies in bridging the new and the old. I get a lot of joy out of teaching Shakespeare because it provides so many rich experiences for the students to learn a new language....and then when we rewrite Shakespeare in modern language, boy do I ever do a lot of learning myself!
              Bryan

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

As a black woman, I HATE ebonics. I hate getting lumped into the ghetto mentality b/c I'm black, but then when I open my mouth and speak proper English, I get called a white girl wannabe. I have a really hard time taking any black person seriously who can't speak proper grammar. 2 of my pet peeves, Aks or Ax instead of ask, and Liberry instead of library. I tell my kids there are blueberries, strawberries and raspberries, but there is no such thing as a Liberry! And Ax is something you chop down a tree with.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                  2 of my pet peeves, Aks or Ax instead of ask, and Liberry instead of library. I tell my kids there are blueberries, strawberries and raspberries, but there is no such thing as a Liberry! And Ax is something you chop down a tree with.
                  Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• theantiquetiger
                    Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
                    • Nov 12, 2005

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                    2 of my pet peeves, Aks or Ax instead of ask
                    This is not ebonics, this is just dialect. Its the same as us here in the south saying "ya'll" or southern black people saying "aun-tee", instead of aunt. I catch myself saying aks sometimes and I am not black. It is just a southern draw.
                    sigpic

Comment

• jessica
                      fortune favors the bold
                      • Nov 5, 2007

It irks me when people use a double negative in a sentence. When I catch my kids speak that way I always have to correct them--When they say, "he don't have no crayons" I always say, Oh you mean, he DOESN'T have ANY crayons?
                      Those who look outside dream. Those who look within awake.
                      Samples of my work are found here: Life, Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness

To do list:
                      1:6 boots for Mathilda, 1:1 Romulan Commander outfit, Ursus helmet; Cornelius appliance
                      1:9 scale ape's new suit for Cornelius;

Comment

• draconianguard
                        #1 Ernest Borgnine Fan
                        • Mar 12, 2004

Originally posted by jessica
                        It irks me when people use a double negative in a sentence. When I catch my kids speak that way I always have to correct them--When they say, "he don't have no crayons" I always say, Oh you mean, he DOESN'T have ANY crayons?
                        True dat, true dat
                        Pop Culture Central - Convention reports, toy reviews and more

Comment

• BlackKnight
                          The DarkSide Customizer
                          • Apr 16, 2005

It will all just be like in the movie Idiocracy one day.
                          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

I feel American in general...is sorely lacking in it's use of the English language. I work in a blue Collar(Union)environment...so I try to make a conscious effort not to let My Vocabulary slip into colorful Slang. On My trips to England...it becomes clear how to properly use the English Language(it makes Me embarrassed for America).The Whites, Blacks, and little Children ALL speak the Queen's English so much better than We do...it makes Me want to live there!
                            sigpic

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

I really can't say too much about it .... I was raised in an area that spoke a combo of English mixed with a combo of Polish-Ukranian and just a tad of Yiddish.
                              It was fine in my town and area --- but I noticed the rest of the country didn't know what the hell I was saying sometimes.
                              At a young age I made an effort to try and speak more General American.
                              It's too bad these kids can't see the BIG PICTURE.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎