X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theantiquetiger
    Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
    • Nov 12, 2005

More Treasure Hunting 101

Here is a little quiz. Can some one date this and how did you come to that conclusion? (There is a 2 cent and 1 1/2 cent stamp). I know the answer within a year or two. Just some good knowledge to know. The envelope is larger than normal and thick, so there is extra postage most likely. No Googling, its a closed book quiz. Pretend you are at a flea market or garage sale:

Last edited by theantiquetiger; Oct 23, '07, 1:29 AM.
    sigpic
  • ramsey37
    • Jun 18, 2001

It would have to be pre-1963, since there's no ZIP Code on the envelope. I'm guessing the stamps are a good clue, but I don't enough about stamps to guess their age. Judging by the foxing on the envelope, I'd guess late 1940's to early 1950's.
    George

Comment

• theantiquetiger
      • Nov 12, 2005

Actually, I maybe wrong on the postage. It may have been a 3 cent stamp and 1 1/2 cent stamp. I don't have this item anymore and I haven't found the stamp yet

Buy yes, zip codes started in July 1963, a good thing to know when dating stuff. I have found stuff people said was from the 50's and right on the back was a zip code.
      sigpic

Comment

• mitchedwards
        Mego Preservation Society
        • May 2, 2003

Is there a date on the postmark?

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• theantiquetiger
          • Nov 12, 2005

Originally posted by mitchedwards
          Is there a date on the postmark?
          Its not readable, that would have been too easy.

I was correct, it is a 2 cent stamp, so the total postage is 3 1/2 cents.

The stamps are from 1954 (I had to look them up). My biggest point was the zip code.

Another good thing to know is the phone number. 1958 was the 1st time 7 digits were used instead of letters and numbers, but it took 15 years after that for Bell to change most of the US to the 7 digit system, so check and see when your area made the change.

* First telephone numbers are just names
          * Depending on exchange size, two, three or four digit numbers assigned to subscribers,
          * Two letter prefix codes assigned to four digit numbers (Circa 1928 to 1958)
          * In larger cities three letter prefix codes assigned to four digit numbers (Post WWII)
          * Seven digit, all number dialing begins phase in. (1958)
          * Nearly all of North American telephone network converted to all number dialing (1985?)
          * Some party lines remain, with single digits like Rodeo Creek Number 8
          Last edited by theantiquetiger; Oct 23, '07, 8:07 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• mitchedwards
            Mego Preservation Society
            • May 2, 2003

Where is the phone # on that package?

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• theantiquetiger
              • Nov 12, 2005

Originally posted by mitchedwards
              Where is the phone # on that package?
              I was just making the point to learn when your area changes to the 7 digit system, there is no phone number on the envelope.
              sigpic

Comment

• Adam West
                Museum CPA
                • Apr 14, 2003

Had I not seen the answer already, I would have guessed early '50's and it has nothing to do with the zipcode.

The item looks like a bb gun target practice kid which immediately made me think of A Christmas Story. I collect stamps to some extent and although, I don't know postage rates, I do know those $.02 stamps were made in the 1950's and there are hundreds of different designs (you probably also know these stamps at least have no value whatsoever).

Plus the Wild West was all the rage in the 1950's so that's how I would have guessed.
                "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
                ~Vaclav Hlavaty

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎