• Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

The Fonz in Bronze

Perfectamondo!

The Associated Press

MILWAUKEE -- The Fonz in bronze? It could happen.

Visit Milwaukee, a group that promotes the city as a tourism and convention destination, is leading an effort to raise money for a bronze sculpture of the character played by Henry Winkler on TV's "Happy Days," which was set in Milwaukee.

Some $45,000 has been raised toward a goal of $85,000 to commission the statue.

"It's an honor," says Winkler. "But it is so bizarre to think there should be a statue."

"If it helps the city, a city that has been so supportive and warm to me over the years, then I am so OK with it," the 61-year-old actor says.

Winkler played Arthur "Fonzie" Fonzarelli on the family comedy, which aired from 1974 to 1984. The series also starred Ron Howard, Marion Ross, Tom Bosley and Erin Moran.

Fantle says the dedication ceremony would draw media attention to Milwaukee, and the sculpture would provide another tourism draw.

"This is a statue of a TV icon who remains the epitome of cool," he said.

Winkler said he would be willing to come to Milwaukee for the statue's dedication.

TV Land, a cable network that airs reruns of vintage shows, has donated six statues commemorating memorable TV events or characters to various cities, starting in 2000 with a statue of Ralph Kramden, Jackie Gleason's character on "The Honeymooners," which was given to the city of New York.

But TV Land isn't planning to donate any more statues and is re-evaluating the program, said network spokeswoman Jennifer Zaldivar.

I'm surprised TV Land isn't behind this effort...not sure exactly what they mean that they're "re-evaluating the program" when they don't plan to donate anymore. There's nothing to re-evaluate if you already know you're not going to do it.

The other TV Land statues are:
    Ralph Kramden: New York City
    Samantha Stevens: Salem, MA
    Bob Newhart: Chicago, IL
    Mary Tyler Moore: Minneapolis, MN
    Andy Griffith: Raleigh, NC
    Elvis Presley: Honolulu

Not sure how Elvis rates a "TV Land" statue but the Fonz wouldn't...
    Last edited by The Toyroom; Sep 27, '07, 6:05 AM.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • mitchedwards
    Mego Preservation Society
    • May 2, 2003

When I started reading I thought it was going to be TVLand as well.

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I think they should sculpt Fonzie in his jacket and shorts and water-skis, jumping the lake shark, and giving birth to a cultural phenomenon.

Seriously, if Bob Newhart gets one, Fonz should get one!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
        Stays Crunchy in Milk
        • Aug 2, 2004

The fact that TV Land isn't involved makes the story a little wierd.
        Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          I think they should sculpt Fonzie in his jacket and shorts and water-skis, jumping the lake shark, and giving birth to a cultural phenomenon.
          I dig that idea! Two thumbs up! Aaaaaayyyy!

Comment

• huedell
            Museum Ball Eater
            • Dec 31, 2003

Actually guys--regarding the "Jumping The Shark" references----I think TVT toys
            was pretty cool/hip to acknowledge that cultural icon with a new figure design
            based on it
            "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

All I'm gonna say is that TV Land sucks... Not because they're not behind the statue, but because they set there acting like they're "preserving our Television Heritage" when lately all they seem to be doing is moving farther and farther away from it...

Friday night movies, Elvis documentaries, "reality shows" like Myths and Legends (which would maybe be ok IF it was just about TV shows, NOT things like Carley Simon and "You're So Vain", etc... ) TV Land is going to **** in a handbasket...

Soon, people will be able to ask "Rememeber when TV Land actually showed TV shows?" the way people ask about MTV and videos...

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

^ In regards to TV Land showing crap (I hear ya!)...like all good niche programming (ala Nick at Nite, MTV and Cartoon Network) the concept gets watered down and eventually so far removed from the original idea that it becomes virtually unrecognizable.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, TV Land is going south. It will soon be like Sci-Fi, which now shows "wrasslin".

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    It will soon be like Sci-Fi, which now shows "wrasslin".
                    Yeah what's up with that? Perfect illustration of my point. It's like there's a new generation of programming executives that don't get it. I'm sure ECW does well on Sci-Fi ratings wise but can the same be said for "Rain Man" on TV Land.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎