X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • txteach
    Banned
    • Jun 17, 2005

Most recent old toy on shelf

We did this before but with all of the new people I guess we can do it again. In 1985 I was asked to work 2 days at child world to do inventory. As I did the inventory I noticed about 10 open figure cases at the end of a big shelf. Not knowing if it needed to be on the shelf I looked in one and found a case of POTF figures. I assumed they were kinda old (I was 18 at the time and was not into collecting, I was into chicks man) so I moved it to the side. Below it was another box and I looked inside. There were about 6 Hulk figures moc. Then I remembered having one about 10 years earlier and said to myself, "self, these are cool!" but I didn't buy any. I also remember some micronauts boxed figures and didn't know what they were. These figures seemed to be thrown to the side in beat up boxes. I really don't know what figures they were but in hindsight I wish I bought the Hulks. Of course we did inventory when the store was closed so I'm not sure how I would have bought them. Anyone else have stories of old stock or a figure that lingered on the shelf?
  • theantiquetiger
    Fra-gee-lay Thats Italian
    • Nov 12, 2005

There was my story from just a couple weeks ago where I found the Toys R Us G1 Transformer series 1 re-issue at Wal-Mart. It is only 6 years old, but already a fairly rare collectible. Finding it at the wrong store, on clearance for $5 was the best part. Some one had to return it.

But I guess it is the same, because your story takes place in 85, so those toys were only 6 - 10 years old then.
    Last edited by theantiquetiger; Sep 16, '07, 8:19 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

• GlobalObserver
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 12, 2004

I remember finding about a half dozen Mego Star Trek figures back in 1981. They were hanging on the rack at a small town dime store near Andersonville, GA. I bought a Kirk and Klingon. I hadn't seen these on store shelves in years.

Comment

• The Sentry
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 3, 2007

About 10 years ago I got some star wars figs that were old as time for like 15 cents each when the store was going out of business! Oh I got Vader's, Goldust, and the Warrior for about a dollar each, you don't see much of that no more. Well, at least I don't.
        sigpic
        http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
        [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• toys2cool
          Ultimate Mego Warrior
          • Nov 27, 2006

when I worked in toys r us in 00-01 i found a case of the newer orange card Star Wars figures from 95 which were selling pretty good back then,I also found 6 at-at walkers for $10 a piece which I sold for $90 each on ebay sent in from over stock in Hasbro and 2 Han and Taun tauns the big 12" for $10 each as well,then that same year someone returned the Star Trek Barbie and Ken set after X-mas and when I scanned the price it was $1.99

Originally posted by The Sentry
          About 10 years ago I got some star wars figs that were old as time for like 15 cents each when the store was going out of business! Oh I got Vader's, Goldust, and the Warrior for about a dollar each, you don't see much of that no more. Well, at least I don't.
          did you say warrior? which one?
          Last edited by toys2cool; Sep 16, '07, 9:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
          My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Around 1988-1989 I started collecting toys as an adult and started hitting toy stores looking for good stuff. Even at that time, Star Wars stuff was fairly easy to find at clearance prices and a few Megos lurked around too. The oldest stuff I found was:

-one mall toy store in St. Catharines, Ontario (maybe late 1988), sadly closed now, had some boxed Action Jackson outfits, and some MOC 8" Kirks and Spocks (not the later "blank back" versions but the earlier ones). I passed on the AJ outfits but picked up the Trek figures (around $8 each). Now that I think about it, all of these things were probably a part of those Canadian warehouse finds.

-Child World tended to be the best source for old stock. I hit the ones in Buffalo and Niagara Falls NY during 1988-89 and found tons of Star Wars stuff, some Indiana Jones figures, and best of all, 2 MOC Mego Hulks for $1.99 each (both with a broken knee of course). I also remember passing up some Godaikins (elaborate boxed die-cast Japanese robots with a ton of pieces) because even at a clearance price they were a bit pricey. Those toys are worth a mint today though, easily a few hundred dollars each at least.

-in the early 90's, I saw some Interchangables at a local Toys R Us. I passed because they weren't real Micronauts and they weren't as cheap as I thought clearance toys should be. Wish I bought them now.

-at a Zellers dept store, around 1990 I remember seeing a pallet piled high with Star Wars Scout Walkers in Empire Strikes Back boxes (so they were around 10 year old stock at this point). They were 7 bucks each, but stupid me just bought one. I should have bought them all and I'd be rich if I had sat on them for about 10 years.
            Last edited by cjefferys; Sep 16, '07, 9:27 PM.

Comment

• toys2cool
              Ultimate Mego Warrior
              • Nov 27, 2006

well there's also that store me and Ladyzod know here in Miami called VillaClara,his warehouse on the 3rd floor of his store looks like 1985,he still has tons of vintage toys,if you're a collector and bring money to spend he'll take you up stairs,it's freakin' mind blowing man,I got into a fight with the owner so I can't go anymore,but if any of you are ever in Miami and want to check it out,let me know
              "Time to nut up or shut up" -Tallahassee

http://ultimatewarriorcollection.webs.com/
              My stuff on facebook Incompatible Browser | Facebook

Comment

• jwyblejr
                galactic yo-yo
                • Apr 6, 2006

I'm not sure if The Toy Room remembers it but there use to be a Kiddie City in Clay,NY(over by where Penn Can mall use to be) and they had a bunch of old stuff they had on the shelves until they went out. Stuff like Eagle Force,the original Speeder Bike from Star Wars along with Jabba the Hutt. Pee Wee Herman figures too. And a bucnh of others I can't remember right now. Oh and before anyone asks how I know,I use to live in Camden,NY.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I remeber when Children's Palacin Lexington was going out of business around 1992, I fournd a 1976 AHI Spider-Man motorcycle and figure. I of course bought it.

Just a few weeks ago, I went down the toy aisle of our local Rite-Aid. I hadn't done so in a long time. I was surprised to find 3 POTF (second series) figures on the green card from 1997.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• megocrazy
                    Museum Trouble Maker
                    • Feb 18, 2007

In 84-85 I worked in a toy department at a local Bradlee's dept store which is now Out of Business. I don't even want to think about the number of G1 Transformers and combiner gift sets, POTF figures, GI Joe, Voltron, Thundercats, etc. that I put out. The only piece I bought was an Optimus Prime which I still have MIB. I remember once building a Transformers display, I think for the X-mas holiday, that would be worth like $100.000+ today. Jetfire's and OP's, Megatron's, Omega Supreme's, and all the Combiner giftsets. OK I'm feeling a little dizzy I think I should sit down and rest.
                    It's not a doll it's an action figure.

Comment

• Comic Book Geek
                      Stays Crunchy in Milk
                      • Aug 2, 2004

It would have been 86 or 87 when I saw MOC Hulks and Batmans for I think $4.97 at a Children's Palace. I thought, "Wow I can't believe those are still there." Now I say "Wow, I can't believe I didn't buy those
                      Evildoers tremble at the name... Aaron

Comment

• megoat
                        A Therefore Experience
                        • Jun 10, 2003

Not toys, but i was just in a gas station in Nevada Missouri and they had 20 year old bottles of Turtle Wax for sale.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                          Moderation Engineer
                          • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by megoat
                          Not toys, but i was just in a gas station in Nevada Missouri and they had 20 year old bottles of Turtle Wax for sale.
                          You should snag them. Back then, it was made with real turtles. Japanese collectors will pay a fortune for it now due to its alleged healing powers.

Comment

• megoat
                            A Therefore Experience
                            • Jun 10, 2003

Originally posted by stevemoore
                            You should snag them. Back then, it was made with real turtles. Japanese collectors will pay a fortune for it now due to its alleged healing powers.
                            Dude, I thought I shoulda snagged 'em. I'm going back right now. Should I pick up the vintage Armour All too?

Comment

• johnmiic
                              Adrift
                              • Sep 6, 2002

In 1991 or so I was in a toy store chain, now defunct, named Kiddie City Toys, on my lunch break. I found stacked up against the wall, dozens of the 1975 JAWS shark game. I was in shock but didn't buy any. I think now I should bought a couple.

A few years later when I was dating my girlfriend I found in Long Island NY the last remaining Playworld Toy Store. They didn't seem to have anything quite as old but I did manage to buy the Playmates Classic Trek 5" figures for about $25 while most other chains were selling them at $80 ea.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎