X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fallensaviour
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 28, 2006

Originally posted by Captain
    Newfoundlanders!!!! Newfies for short. I dont think even they know what the hell they are saying!!??
    I hear ya on that!!!
    My brother in-law is nefie and when his brother visits himand the two of them start talking!?!?!?!?
    It's friggin jibberish man!!!
    That's not a language it's parts of several languages put together to just confound and confuse outsiders into thinking they have there own language.
    Only thing I have ever made out in 15 years is "ay boy" pronounced "I boy"?
    I think it's just bs talk...
    “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Gorn Captain
      Invincible Ironing Man
      • Feb 28, 2008

I hate it when foreigners speak another language as if they speak it perfectly, yet they persist in pronouncing words and putting accents as if it were their own language.

Like "SchwarzeneGGER". "RoBERT RedFORD."
      You know how it's pronounced, you've heard it a million times before, SO JUST DO IT!!!

Most French people say SpeederMAN, instead of SPIDERman.
      Not all of them do it, but don't twist a language "into your own image".

It works both ways, you know.
      Few English speakers can say the word "déjà-vu" correctly. It's not "VOO" as in "who", it should be pronounced as if you're planting a delicate kiss on someone's cheek, with a pout. With a "U" as in the German "Über".

But hey, I make enough language mistakes, too, but I at least attempt to get it correctly after having heard it several times.

Which accent do I like most?
      Scottish.
      I canna help it!
      "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• alex
        Permanent Member
        • Jun 15, 2009

I dont know about accents, but the worst language to listen to songs must be in german, its just such a harsh language, its like a dog barking.

Comment

• jds1911a1
          Alan Scott is the best GL
          • Aug 8, 2007

I hate any yank who tries to put on a UK (irish english or scottish) accent it's always awful. In the last 15 years brits have gotten very good at sounding like yanks but we haven't gotten any better

also annoying is when on tv they have people use a fake paris accent to portray the french (not that I am pro france it's just a lame actor's crutch that was bad enough 20 years ago)

urban ebonics bothers me to no end (much like hector's own complaints about some groups of spanish speakers) becuase it is a lazy abuse of the language. I can accept regional dialoects without too much annoyance

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by alex
            I dont know about accents, but the worst language to listen to songs must be in german, its just such a harsh language, its like a dog barking.
            Years ago my old neighbor was a German from Germany ... He used to always listened to German Ooom-Pa-Pa music and you're right ...
            It almost sounds like every song is a Hitler speach set to music

Comment

• megoapesnut
              The name says it all!
              • Dec 3, 2007

The infamous tech support accents!

You know, when you are calling some computer software or hardware tech support toll free number and you get someone in India and you have no idea what they are saying to you!

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

A few FAKE accents I can't stand ....

I hate when Americans try and do a Canadian accent.
                All they do is speak like they're mentally challanged and end every sentence with an "ehh"

Americans doing an Australian accent ......
                All they do is an English accent and end the sentence with "mate"

Americans doing a French accent
                Even though he's British, see Peter Sellers

Americans doing a German accent
                Talk firm, harsh, fast and add a V or ZEE sound to the begining of all words ... also add the words (take your pick) dummkopf or sig heil...

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Not so much an accent but I can't stand "Question inflection", this seems to be a problem with a small portion of my inlaws, they all speak french as a first language so there may be a connection. This is a typical conversation:

"I went down to the store? To see if they had a replacement fan? The guy was sold out? So he told me to try again next week?"

Agggghhhhh!

I hate when Americans try and do a Canadian accent.
                  All they do is speak like they're mentally challanged and end every sentence with an "ehh"
                  Yeah, that bugs me especially when it's somebody from BAH-FALO saying I talk weird. True story, I was in Buffalo once and asked were the maps where, the woman sent me to the mop aisle.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

I knew a Norwegian who talked just like that too.

Comment

• toystalker
                      none
                      • Mar 27, 2008

most of the ones mentioned are slang type of talk not so much accent

i went to essex in england(not far from london) not so long back... went into a side of the road breakfast bar, girl behind the counter said taxi... i said pardon and she said taxi... so i said no im here for a breakfast please, again she said or what i thought sounded like taxi, this time louder as if i was deaf!
                      i just walked away and took a seat at a table near by, laughed to myself when i figured out that she was saying "take a seat" sounded like taxi to me

well funny at the time

place up north england called hull, i had to walk out of a macdonalds there when i had no idea what anyone was saying, i got so tired of trying to figure the accent out it was hurting my head, i walked and went to a sel;f serve place lol

best part about it these places are both in my country,well uk anyways and i had no clue what was being said

Comment

• garagesale
                        Dept. of Mego Studies
                        • Aug 8, 2006

I hate it when Okies and Texans exaggerate their own accents. I catch myself (and others) doing it all the time. Sometimes I think we do it unconciously. I know I do it most often when I get around REAL rednecks, Californians, and gay men.

http://www.libarts.uco.edu/english/adjunct/dolph/

THANKS!

Comment

• goldenryan
                          coy member
                          • Jul 13, 2007

Originally posted by Hector
                          The valley girl accent.
                          pacquiao's accent doesn't bother you?

Comment

• Spawn67
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 14, 2009

I find southern accents to be annoying. Makes people sound stupid. Even when i see a well to do southerner with a thick uneducated accent.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 28, 2006

I hate when I hear any American pronounce the words "roof" or "wash"!!!
                              You guys always say Ruf and warsh,seriously warsh???
                              “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• Mikey
                                Verbose Member
                                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by fallensaviour
                                I hate when I hear any American pronounce the words "roof" or "wash"!!!
                                You guys always say Ruf and warsh,seriously warsh???
                                What part of the country are you listening too ?

I never heard anyone pronounce those words that way.

I do hear a lot of people pronounce chimney, chi-mi-ney though

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎