X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jmass
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 19, 2006

Any Baseball Fans Out There?

Real Opening Day is Thursday. Who's your team and how do you like your chances? I'm a lifelong Cardinals fan. Been kind of slim pickens lately for the Birds. Hoping that they pleasantly surprise us this year and play some winning baseball. Starting out with Dodgers and their bazillion dollar all-star roster in Los Angeles. Could be a rough beginning.
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

I grew up in CT and I've been a Red Sox fan longer than I can remember. I think it was summer of '73 when I started listening to Sox games on the radio on a little AM transistor radio with my dad while sitting on the front porch after dinner and watching the weekend games on the TV on a UHF channel we got fuzzily out of Springfield, MA.

The offseason didn't go the way most Sox fans hoped for, and we are in a youth movement. I think some of the kids could be real good, and the team might be better than expected, but in a loaded AL East, I expect them to be on the outside looking in when October rolls around. But if any of the other AL East teams stumble or catch the injury bug big time, and the kids do alright, they could maybe sneak into the wild card race come autumn, but I still think they're a pitcher away from being a realistic contender.

But hope springs eternal, only to be dashed in the dog days of August, so we'll see.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• warlock664
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 15, 2009

Fellow Redbirds fan here, since the mid-80s (Ozzie, Jack Clark, Tom Herr, etc).
      I admit to having cooled on MLB the past few years; the reliance on analytics in making in game decisions, the diminishing importance of the starting rotation, and other factors have sapped my enthusiasm.
      Not an Oliver Marmol fan either - the last manager I was happy with was Mike Matheny.
      Still, I’ll be pulling for them come Thursday.

Comment

• Jmass
        Museum Patron
        • Jan 19, 2006

"I grew up in CT and I've been a Red Sox fan longer than I can remember. I think it was summer of '73 when I started listening to Sox games on the radio on a little AM transistor radio with my dad while sitting on the front porch after dinner and watching the weekend games on the TV on a UHF channel we got fuzzily out of Springfield, MA." - Those are some beautiful memories MRP. Well said. The Sox have owned the Cardinals the last twenty years including beating them for two world championships if memory serves correctly. If that doesn't make you a Cards fan you are at least glad to see them coming! Good luck with Tyler O'Neill. When healthy and motivated he can be one heckuva player. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him good.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Jmass
          "I grew up in CT and I've been a Red Sox fan longer than I can remember. I think it was summer of '73 when I started listening to Sox games on the radio on a little AM transistor radio with my dad while sitting on the front porch after dinner and watching the weekend games on the TV on a UHF channel we got fuzzily out of Springfield, MA." - Those are some beautiful memories MRP. Well said. The Sox have owned the Cardinals the last twenty years including beating them for two world championships if memory serves correctly. If that doesn't make you a Cards fan you are at least glad to see them coming! Good luck with Tyler O'Neill. When healthy and motivated he can be one heckuva player. Perhaps a change of scenery will do him good.
          Yeah the Sox have done well against NL teams since interleague play started and in the post season. If only they played as well against their AL East rivals consistently. O'Neil was an intriguing addition. I am curious to see how that turns out. Sox have a crowded outfield with young talent, and he's the lone veteran out there, so we'll see.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Jmass
            Museum Patron
            • Jan 19, 2006

Originally posted by warlock664
            Fellow Redbirds fan here, since the mid-80s (Ozzie, Jack Clark, Tom Herr, etc).
            I admit to having cooled on MLB the past few years; the reliance on analytics in making in game decisions, the diminishing importance of the starting rotation, and other factors have sapped my enthusiasm.
            Not an Oliver Marmol fan either - the last manager I was happy with was Mike Matheny.
            Still, I’ll be pulling for them come Thursday.
            Hi warlock - Good to meet a fellow Birds fan! The 80's Cards were so fun! I keep hoping that a team will adopt that philosophy in this era of MLB but as long as the "launch angle" style of hitting is around, I'm afraid singles, doubles, and base stealers are a thing of the past. Nothing like watching guys strike out, fly out, or homer for three hours to sap the fun out of the game. Oli was a confusing choice to me and extending him this year was equally confusing. I still have the feeling that he is just keeping the seat warm for Yadi however.

Comment

• warlock664
              Persistent Member
              • Feb 15, 2009

Probably my all-time favorite home run.
              Against the Dodgers, first pitch, the look on Neidenfeur’s face …
              David Freese in Game 6 of the 2011 Series is a close second, though.

Comment

• shaunaconda
                Museum Super Collector
                • Mar 29, 2020

Texas Rangers fan. Still can’t believe they won it all last year!
                2011 killed me!

Comment

• warlock664
                  Persistent Member
                  • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Jmass

Hi warlock - Good to meet a fellow Birds fan! The 80's Cards were so fun! I keep hoping that a team will adopt that philosophy in this era of MLB but as long as the "launch angle" style of hitting is around, I'm afraid singles, doubles, and base stealers are a thing of the past.
                  Agreed. There was nothing better than watching Vince Coleman turn a walk into a triple! Vincent Van Go getting attacked and injured by the Busch Stadium tarp machine probably cost them the series that year (though Don Denkinger was ultimately the reason the Royals prevailed).

Comment

• B-Lister
                    Eccentric Weirdo
                    • Mar 19, 2010

Orioles fan. Our heyday was 30 years ago. Been ages since the Ripken dynasty.

last season wasn't bad, but they chokedin the postseason.
                    Last edited by B-Lister; Mar 27, '24, 11:10 AM.
                    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• MRP
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by B-Lister

Well you have a new team owner officially as of today. I think the Orioles are at the beginning of a good run. You can never count on WS titles no matter how good your team looks (ask the Dodgers), but I think as long as they avoid injuries to that young core they have the makings of a team that's going to have a good successful run for 5-10 years of being contenders every season.

-M

Comment

• Jmass
                        Museum Patron
                        • Jan 19, 2006

Originally posted by shaunaconda
                        Texas Rangers fan. Still can’t believe they won it all last year!
                        2011 killed me!
                        I was very happy for Rangers fans last year. As much as we Cardinals fans love 2011, it had to be agonizing for Rangers faithful. I like Ron Washington and hope he does well with his new team. A friend and I have been taking trips to watch the Cardinals play in different cities for the last several years. Last year was Arlington. Really enjoyed Rangers Stadium and had a great time. Good luck this year, hope your pitchers stay healthy.

Comment

• Jmass
                          Museum Patron
                          • Jan 19, 2006

Originally posted by B-Lister

Dude, it’s a great time to be an Orioles fan. So much young talent on that team! Really looking forward to Jackson Holliday’s debut.

Comment

• TrekStar
                            Trek or Treat
                            • Jan 20, 2011

Atlanta Braves fan, they are way way over due for a championship, they always seem to be right on the doorstep but can never get in, come on Bravos this is the year!

Comment

• warlock664
                              Persistent Member
                              • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by TrekStar
                              Atlanta Braves fan, they are way way over due for a championship, they always seem to be right on the doorstep but can never get in, come on Bravos this is the year!
                              Hey, I can appreciate the enthusiasm, but they just won in 2021 !

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎