X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

estate sale adventures

Wow. I have not been to any estate or live auction type sales in a long time. A friend gave me a heads up on a local sale that had some vintage toy stuff in it and it was an experience.

Multi generational family on a multi house farm property that is now surrounded by small town. The picture that reeled me in was a half rolled up Buckaroo Banzai poster on an old bed with a bunch of other ephemera scattered around haphazardly. It still blows my mind to think that any kid from this town had BB hanging proudly on their wall. There was also a bunch of first 21 star wars figures and a crazy amount of vehicles and playsets that this kid had. I was early to the event, and the line was wrapped around the house, so needless to say I missed out on most of that. I would note that the estate sellers were asking pretty high dollar for items all across the board from furniture to jewelry. Plenty of things were picked up tho, so I suppose they are working with the going rate. I had no idea that many folks would pay $10 for a naked Jawa.

I was a little sad to miss out on some Micronauts and Black Hole robots, but I did pick up MEGO 1MBC Trag who probably fought valiantly in many backyard battles against the Aurora Trex model that was in pieces in a box. Trag came with a Shogun sword and axe, so that was a bonus.

My caveat was picking up the box of 'extra stuff' that looks to have most of a Kenner Death Star and all the bits and bobs that the sellers could not figure out. Haven't gone thru it yet, but I hope to find some gold there. Oh - and I got the Banzai poster. The poster was worth all the hustle and bustle and parking on a super skinny one lane drive and then figuring out how to turn around to leave.
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

That sounds awesome!
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• rche
      channeling Bob Wills
      • Mar 26, 2008

Well.... I kinda wished I had been able to pick up a few of the figures, but really I don't need anymore things and my bank account can be happier. Mostly fun to see things like this in the wild. Also - this kid touched on a whole lot of my youth activites. D&D and roleplaying games, sci fi paperbacks, comics, and one heck of a few years of Kenner Star Wars from about 1979 to the first batch of ESB stuff. I would have been pretty jealous if they were my neighbor.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

nice. i love a good sale like that, but truthfully, i will not stand in line like that. can't be bothered. the people who do are generally the resellers. estate sales have been few and far between in these parts lately

Comment

• J.B.
          Guild Navigator
          • Jun 23, 2010

I've always wanted to attend an estate sale. Sounds like you had a great time.
          You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

One of the things that struck me at this sale was that it was a sort of time capsule. There was a closet with a bookshelf in it that had Dragon magazines, TSR games, and a bunch of sci/fantasy paperbacks. The stuff was in there as if it was just organized like that this morning, but it was sitting in that closet for thirty five years or more. I have no idea why these folks never changed anything up in their kids rooms after said kids had obviously moved out.

Comment

• apes3978
              Permanent Member
              • Nov 19, 2005

I've been to a couple of estate sales, and they were *nothing* like what you described in this thread: The ones I attended were usually furniture & lamps, maybe some old hunting gear and/or fishing lures, a lot of household goods and silverware, pictures/paintings, and even no longer needed 'personal care' items of the deceased.

Cool ones like you described may exist around here at one time or another, but I've yet to see one that wasn't more than selling anything the relatives didn't deem good enough to keep for themselves. You found a unicorn, even if you didn't come away with as much as you maybe would have liked to.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

It was definitely a unicorn, and there are definitely more unicorn hunters in the vicinity than I ever would have guessed.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

Nah, never underestimate the tenacity of flippers.

if there's meat on the bone, out come the wolves.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

the only real chance you have of a score on vintage toys is if the person running it did not have any photos or mention of the toys in the ads. about 12-13 years ago i stopped at a sale just based on an estate sale sign on the road. got a GI Joe Sea Adventurer and POTA Astronaut for a buck

Comment

• rche
                      channeling Bob Wills
                      • Mar 26, 2008

It was not just old toys at this sale. It was quite the aforementioned unicorn of a multigenerational household where they never got rid of anything. Lots of vintage and antique everywhere you looked. Books, magazines, glassware, furniture, jewelry, tools, records, coins,.... it was all there and every imaginable reseller was there to nab a bit of it. We have a local small antique mall with vendor booths, and I suspect the inventory of most of those booths jumped after this last weekend.

Comment

• earthlings
                        • Feb 26, 2024

sounds really awesome!!!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍