X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

OTR Blue Beetle

Before the movie get released, why not spend some time listening to the 1940 Blue Beetle old time radio:

Radio ad.jpg
    The Blue Beetle had a relatively short career on the radio, between May and September of 1940. Motion picture and radio actor Frank Lovejoy was the Blue Beetle for the first 13 episodes, while for the rest of the shows, the voice was provided by a different, uncredited actor. The Blue Beetle was a young police officer who saw the need for extra-ordinary crime fighting. He took the task on himself by secretly donning a superhero costume to create fear in the criminals who were to learn to fear the Blue Beetle's wrath.

The 13-minute segments were usually only two-parters. There are at least 72 episodes that have been saved over time, most of them still have that 'crackling' due to the fact that some of the tracks are from records.

You can also download the tracks from the internet archives: The Blue Beetle

I got hold of this series many years ago along with other Comic Book OTR programs (before youtube) so its nice to see them listed for free so people can go back in time and listen to the original media format.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • KnightDetective
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 31, 2012

Can't let this post sit here unnoticed!

I'm a lifelong OTR fan and while I have these, I appreciate anyone spreading the word. Audio is truly the theatre of the mind. The only limit to the special effects budget is your imagination and the skill of the writer.

Jay at radio.macinmind.com is offering a nicely restored collection of the original Superman radio show. Batman and Robin even show up in one of these serials! Also check out archive.org to start. Tons of genre stuff out there to enjoy at no charge.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

I'm glad to see other people enjoy these old programs.

Several years back, my Sunday morning routine was to get up and pipe old radio programs through my Crosley (retro) radio while I drank coffee, made breakfast, and did laundry. The Blue Beetle was part of the rotation along with Flash Gordon, The Shadow, Gunsmoke, etc. I need to get back into doing that. I still play some X Minus One or CBS Radio Mystery Theater every once in a while to decompress before sleep.

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
        Career Member
        • May 14, 2007

I always love listening to the old Blue Beetle radio shows.
        Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎