Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade Paperback Suggestions? (and a few questions)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Trade Paperback Suggestions? (and a few questions)

Vacation time again and I always try to grab 2-3 TPB's to read on the beach, etc. I've read most of the Batman TPB's, a few House of M's and some others. Can you recommend a good one? Preferably, I would like to get at least one traditional superhero book.

Some questions-
    -I really enjoyed 'Watchmen' and 'V for Vendetta,' so I was thinking of picking up something by Allan Moore. I never really liked Swamp Thing as a kid, but do you think his telling is still worth it?

-I enjoyed 'Kingdom Come.' How is 'The Kingdom?'

-Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, any good?

-How about '100 Bullets'?
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • mitchedwards
    Mego Preservation Society
    • May 2, 2003

Not really a trade paperback, but I'm reading the Showcase comics worlds finest and loving every minute of it

Think B.A. Where did you hide the Megos?

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Wee67
      Some questions-
      -I really enjoyed 'Watchmen' and 'V for Vendetta,' so I was thinking of picking up something by Allan Moore. I never really liked Swamp Thing as a kid, but do you think his telling is still worth it?
      Yeah the initial run (starting with "The Anatomy Lesson") is cool as hell! I'm not sure which issues are in collected editions though.

-I enjoyed 'Kingdom Come.' How is 'The Kingdom?'
      Ennnh....it's Mark Waid without Alex Ross. Best of the bunch for me was the "Planet Krypton" one-shot because of the geek factor. Not sure that it's worth picking up the entire trade though.

-Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, any good?
      Again, start at the beginning...I'd say at least the first 12 issues or so.

The "Showcase Presents" line is very good, as Mitch mentioned. In a similar vein, there's the Marvel "Essentials" series...but the majority of those appear to be 70s related as opposed to DC's Showcase, which is more 60s.

I just picked up the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" trade...and although I have the individual issues and have read them to death, I'm looking forward to reading it again in one collected volume. As a bonus, it's on much better paper than the original series, which suffered during the first few issues from that flexigraph paper DC was trying.
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Well,.. You Gotta Read Green Lantern Re-Birth,.. if you have not.

I always Liked the Red Rain Series of the Batman. I read 2 of the Stories,.. where Bruce is a Vampire,.. it was Kinda Neat... It's an Elsewords Tale.

& Ofcourse any of the "Demon" RasAlGhoul books are great.

Also,.. the 1st Batman VS Preadator was Great imo,.. Drawn by the Kurbert Brothers.

The Villians United Trade is Great from DC,.. I also Like the Follow Up Trade, The Secret Six. Both Books follow a Small group of "Grey" Villians,.. Centering around DeadShot & Catman. The Cemistrey Between the 2 is Outstanding,.. & imo with all the Crap Books & Ideas out there today,.. it would be a NoBrainer to put those 2 in a Monthy book.

& Jim Lee / Loebs Hush story is collected in 2 Volumes Now,.. It Brought me Back to Batman after a few yrs of not buying the Book.

Thats All I got for now...
        Last edited by BlackKnight; May 28, '08, 3:05 PM.
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, "Green Lantern:Rebirth" is great!

And if you liked "Kingdom Come", Alex Ross' Marvel equivalent, "Marvels" or the "Earth X" saga (three 12-issue series, "Earth-X", "Universe-X" and "Paradise-X") are pretty good.
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Thanks guys. This will definitely come in handy. I'm considering going by Wizard World in Philly this weekend. Maybe I can buy some discounted books.

Comment

• Surfsup
              Silver Chrome Dome
              • Dec 2, 2005

Hey Bill, I'd highly recommend Fables, 100 Bullets, Y; The Last Man or Preacher. They are all amazing stories that you will be hard pushed to put down. When are you going on vacation? I have a lot of the books here that I can send over, that'll save you spending a few bucks.

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                Pat Troughton in disguise
                • Nov 21, 2007

Alan Moore's swamp thing run starts in vol 2
                League of Extraordinary Gentleman by Moore is good as is From Hell
                some good suggestions by the guys there also consider Walking Dead, Goon, Batman Child of Dreams and Camalot 3000.
                I don't know if you guys get them over there but the collected Judge Dredds and Strotnium Dog are great and alot of paper for your dollar (invasion and Savage are great too).
                For a big read for little outlay i'd suggest the DC showcase presents or Marvel Essentials series....great reading.
                ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Surfsup
                  Hey Bill, I'd highly recommend Fables, 100 Bullets, Y; The Last Man or Preacher. They are all amazing stories that you will be hard pushed to put down. When are you going on vacation? I have a lot of the books here that I can send over, that'll save you spending a few bucks.
                  That's mighty thoughful of you, Bill, but I don't think they'd reach me in time. I'm off to Turkey by mid-week. Hey, that's only a few hours from you, maybe you can drop by hotel and we can grab a nargileh

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

For Moore, I'd also strongly recommend League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, it's excellent, I couldn't think of enough nice things to say about it. His Swamp Thing run is great. I have a trade paperback called Saga of the Swamp Thing that covers his initial work on the comic, but I'm not sure if the title of the TPB has been changed or anything, my book is pretty old.

I'd second the recommendation of Preacher. I love it, but it is really one big story, and you'd have to read all nine volumes, it would be a good summer project for you.

Sandman is great, but each volume is almost a self contained story in widely varying styles. Some are better than others. I would recommend reading the first one, Preludes and Nocturnes first, just to get a handle on the story and characters, and those early issues are the closest thing to "traditional" DC comics in the whole run.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Batman Year 100, JSA the Liberty Files, anything Hellboy, New Frontier, Fantastic Four Unstable Molecules, Rocketo, Batman The Long Halloween, The Goon
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Surfsup
                        Silver Chrome Dome
                        • Dec 2, 2005

Originally posted by Wee67
                        That's mighty thoughful of you, Bill, but I don't think they'd reach me in time. I'm off to Turkey by mid-week. Hey, that's only a few hours from you, maybe you can drop by hotel and we can grab a nargileh
                        That's a shame. The nargileh offer is very tempting, I could do with some sunshine too, I'm resembling Casper the Friendly Ghost at the moment . Hope you have a great trip Bill.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎