X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ABMAC
    User
    • May 16, 2002

Originally posted by AusTex
    You got it Anthony. Today's toy scuplts are very geometric looking because it is easy to create in all the computer design programs (pencil sketching is becoming extinct) and easier to send to China and virtually no translation to become mass produced 3D toys.
    And that's exactly why I rarely buy new toys. Style has replaced substance.

Originally posted by joshvox
    I hate just about everything from the previous batman movies (other than begins) including the outfits. This is nothing like that, other than there are rubber in both of them. I guess if you don't really look at it, there isn't much difference from the last movie, but the fact that he will actually be able to turn his head is a huge difference itself. There are also quite a few other changes as well. What Nolan is aiming for (whether you think he is doing it or not) is realism--at least as much as possible. If you think about that, the suit makes a ton of sense--cloth doesn't. Maybe someday there will be a strict interpretation of that batman--but this isn't it--and isn't meant to be I don't think. It's meant to be as real as possible, while respecting the history of the character (i.e. no killing etc) And, on top of that, the first movie was awesome and the suit looks totally bad *** (in my opinion). However, if they mess the Joker up again (see Batman '89), I'll be the first one to say Nolan is an idiot. But right now, for me, he is pushing all the right buttons.
    You keep saying that body armour is more realistic, but a cop who started wearing body armour on his regular beat every day would look like a complete coward. What's the point of all that training if Batman is going to stand there and let the suit absorb all the damage? If you're going to put Batman in body armour that makes him invincible, you might as well paint him blue and red and call him Superman.

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by ABMAC
      You keep saying that body armour is more realistic, but a cop who started wearing body armour on his regular beat every day would look like a complete coward.
      Another way of looking at it would be...wouldn't the cop look a lot more
      menacing with body armor? And isn't "menacing" a lot of what the Batman
      character is about?

Also one reason, I'd venture, everyday cops don't wear special body armor
      is that it would be expensive and cumbersome---and, to me, the theory on
      why that wouldn't phase Bruce Wayne is because he's rich enough to make
      custom body armor to his exact specifications to be functional.

Another way of saying that would be----if Bruce is rich enough to have
      the best protection, then, why not? He's still a great fighter and overall
      physical specimen

If you're saying that the BAD GUYS would look at the cloth suit and be more
      surprised and intimidated that a guy in a mere cloth suit could be so
      powerful and resourceful, then that's food for thought

And maybe bad guys really think Batman is a wimp for wearing body armor---
      but you know, I never thought of it that way

It's make for a good piece of dialogue in a movie though

If you're saying that the armor takes away from Batman's vulnerability from
      a writer's (and consequently, an audience's) point of view----I respect that
      ----but Batman is still human underneath that armor, and because of that,
      to me, has enough vulnerability to impact the character to a decent extent
      as it stands
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Meule
        Verbose Member
        • Nov 14, 2004

Originally posted by ABMAC
        His vulnerability is one of the things I like about Batman. He can be hurt, but he doesn't give up, he just pushes himself to do better. It's that attitude that made him decide to become Batman in the first place.
        Originally posted by The Toyroom
        There's a good Alex Ross black and white pin-up that shows the scars Bruce Wayne has endured over the years as Batman...and like ABMAC said, he doesn't give up and goes out there night after night taking whatever the criminals of Gotham dish out at him. It's what makes him Batman...not the fact that he's a millionaire that can buy the best body armor. His "wonderful" toys are just that... but are secondary to the man that is willing to get the crap kicked out of him if need be just to get the job done and protect the streets of Gotham. Batman is much scarier to criminals if he appears to be just a man who somehow frightens the beejeezus out of them as opposed to someone who's all souped up in high tech body armor.

Anthony and Anthony, I get your point and you don't need to convince me, big Batman fan here.
        However, the weaponry of the villains has changed a lot over the years. The days of simple knives and guns are long gone, it's more high tech now, so it only makes sense to protect yourself a little better. Batman did it in the comics as well, either with armor or kevlar or whatnot.
        I'm not saying I like it, I'd rather have a Batman Dead End like suit, but the armor makes more sense in todays high tech world and I guess it's more credible too. Who in his right mind would subject himself to that kinda danger without proper protection. Nolan's Batman is more like a real hero, someone that could actually exist, and less like a comic hero that's invincible and can do anything.
        "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• brineb
          Persistent Member
          • Aug 26, 2006

I would prefer the classic black and grey in cloth, but I am so used to the movie version being black rubber, that I don't dislike it ... I just wish the bat on his chest stood out more.
          I also play with other dolls:
          http://brineb.blogspot.com/

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by brineb
            I just wish the bat on his chest stood out more.

Yup! That's a small thing to ask...but it would look great! Make the Symbol BLACK!
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎