Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WONDER WOMAN garnering positive reviews...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Finally got to catch it last night and it was all I hoped it would be. Not too much I can add that hasn't already been said by now. A great adventure, a story well-told, and a movie that stands way above anything else DC has put out in building its "universe" to compete with Marvel's....and it tops many of Marvel's, in my book, though I have been extremely pleased with all of their movies. I hadn't seen Gal Gadot in "Batman Vs. Superman" (because I had kind of written these DC movies off, at that point), but I believed all I had read about how great she is and she did not disappoint. I've seen pictures of her and she's obviously beautiful, but her screen presence in this role....I definitely fell in love with her!

Comment

• huedell
      Museum Ball Eater
      • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by hedrap
      Found it very good. Surprised at how many Ridley Scott elements are floating about. Most striking was how the final act is a reworking of Legend.
      I am a bit stunned by the WW movie, yet have the same overall impression as yourself, and I'm only able to comment on this film by reacting to your take.

I predicted the ending in many ways except a few, of which most notably was the extreme leaning towards the "hyper-analogous" tone of the climactic reveal.

The irony is that I was begging for that very kind of thing since Superman took the DCEU off the rails, but now I'm almost looking at it as the analogous-tone equivalent to the sci-fi-simplicity trope climax of the Avengers movie (another film which were received very well commercially/critically). I wasn't too impressed with Avengers, but, then again,I'm the kind of guy that would've much preferred a Hulk solo movie or a Hulk/Capt. Amrica team-up to an Avengers movie, so there's that.

Gadot and Jenkins deserve credit for saving JL's opening. That was no guarantee, but WW made sure it crosses 100M now.
      At the moment those reports started rollin' in, so thought you, I, DC, WB... and anyone who is truly concerned for that DC superhero film property upswing!

WB have been watching WW tests and cuts for a year, while simultaneously seeing JL cobble together. Whedon pitched for Batman, got shot down, and took Batgirl because WB was so high on WW. Then they asked him to take over JL because Snyder's tone must look horrible next to WW.
      My thoughts too... but this is the realistic equivalent of what I prayed for/knew was the only thing that could "save the DCEU": Bring in Disney.

now, Whedon isn't my favorite choice, but he qualifies of the RIGHT choice... we all know how he has the abilities to mainstream storytell these kinds of things... he has the "Disney" experience under his belt.

I have a distinct feeling JL is going to be a yuge mess.
      If they allow Whedon what Disney is allowing Ron Howard (with Han Solo), there's hope yet. Bring on the mega-reshoots, baby!

...and the way you save Superman is make MOS2 and WW2 one story over two films. That's something Marvel has no answer for.
      That IS the solution. I LOVE it. Ya never know... they may glean something from Marvel/Disney's Hulk bolstering Thor's movie strategy and decide to do something like that... although, it does seem more natural to team WW with Batman... but that leaves my favorite superhero out in the cold again!

There's always hope that another DC hero sequel (coming off a highly well-received starter movie) can help bolster the DCEU's flailing Superman...

"Aquaman: By Air Or By Sea" anyone?
      "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Rumours are that Wonder Woman 2 will continue the historical period piece approach and be set in the 1980s during the Cold War.

PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I finally got to see it yesterday. loved it.!

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Yeah!!!!!
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
              Rumours are that Wonder Woman 2 will continue the historical period piece approach and be set in the 1980s during the Cold War.

http://www.thewrap.com/wonder-woman-...ails-revealed/

Yup, and...

****SPOILERS!!!****

Chris Pine/Steve Trevor might be coming back.

I don't know how...but the chemistry between him and Diana is too great to have end it like that.

****END OF SPOILERS****
              sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

The cold war thing will be interesting and maybe still topical by the time it comes out. Its creeping back around right now.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I said to my wife that I bet they bring Chris Pine back as Steve Trevor's great, great nephew or something

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Hector

Chris Pine/Steve Trevor might be coming back.

I don't know how...but the chemistry between him and Diana is too great to have end it like that.

****END OF SPOILERS****

1. What do you exactly see happen in the plane

2. We're talking about Greek Gods

If it's me...

...he was WB's second choice to be Hal Jordan after Bradley Cooper. But he passed on GL for Kirk. WW2 is on the same development track as GL. If they cast Pine as Hal, that would be a really interesting twist. Like Highlander meets Forever Young.

Comment

• Hector
                      el Hombre de Acero
                      • May 19, 2003

That would rule...
                      sigpic

Comment

• huedell
                        Museum Ball Eater
                        • Dec 31, 2003

...he was WB's second choice to be Hal Jordan after Bradley Cooper. But he passed on GL for Kirk. WW2 is on the same development track as GL. If they cast Pine as Hal, that would be a really interesting twist. Like Highlander meets Forever Young.
                        With these recent DCEU ideas, you've been crazy like a fox!

The fact that I've never even seen Highlander or Forever Young, yet believe that I essentially understand your concept (Trevor reborn as another soul that Diana has a primal connection with), is a sign (I think) you may be onto something yet again!
                        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

I would LOVE to see Chris Pine as Hal Jordan! That would TOTALLY work!!
                          sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by huedell
                            The fact that I've never even seen Highlander or Forever Young, yet believe that I essentially understand your concept (Trevor reborn as another soul that Diana has a primal connection with)...
                            Pretty much. I think it's because they embodied Steve Trevor with every trait Hal Jordan is supposed to posses, right? I mean, what Trevor did is why Abin Sur picked Hal. Then add in the koinkydink of having the one actor who was up for both parts and ta-da.

...and the Greek Gods are the greatest plot device a fantasy project could have at their disposal. You can randomly pick a god and say "x sent Trevor's soul back from the Elysian Fields" and that's all Diana needs to believe Hal is Steve. Her "kills Ares, war ends" dogma has already shown the audience she will believe something to the bitter end.

I also like the Hal-Diana-Kal triangle better. Nu52 saw the GL/Superman dilemma. It can be played to show how they're mirrors of each other, but that's a different thread...
                            Last edited by hedrap; Jul 13, '17, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by The Bat
                              I would LOVE to see Chris Pine as Hal Jordan! That would TOTALLY work!!
                              except that in the DC U he already is another character -so that would be weird.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Pretty much. I think it's because they embodied Steve Trevor with every trait Hal Jordan is supposed to posses, right? I mean, what Trevor did is why Abin Sur picked Hal. Then add in the koinkydink of having the one actor who was up for both parts and ta-da.

...and the Greek Gods are the greatest plot device a fantasy project could have at their disposal. You can randomly pick a god and say "x sent Trevor's soul back from the Elysian Fields" and that's all Diana needs to believe Hal is Steve. Her "kills Ares, war ends" dogma has already shown the audience she will believe something to the bitter end.

I also like the Hal-Diana-Kal triangle better. Nu52 saw the GL/Superman dilemma. It can be played to show how they're mirrors of each other, but that's a different thread...
                                maybe the Greek Gods can fix the Joker!!
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎