Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suicide Squad reviews...not looking good...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

Just came back from the theater. My 11 year old nailed it when he said "it was kind of all over the place".
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

Yes, that's a succinct and apt description.

Comment

• huedell
        Museum Ball Eater
        • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Goblin19
        Yes, that's a succinct and apt description.
        It's the unifying criticism of the dominant reviewers at RT-----so, yeah, it's not as bad as BvS----or, at least, what's wrong with SS is more singularly obvious.

That's why it hurts me to go see it.

The guy who I trumpeted as (his Training Day being the script) creating one of the tightest scripts to EVER be made into a movie... it's now revealed he put out a disjointed "so bad an 11 year old calls it 'all over the place'" movie, and hurt the DCCU franchise on a level almost as detrimental (or somewhere nearby) as BvS which already irritated me...and THAT was using a writer (AND a director) I didn't even trust to begin with.
        "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Captain Big Trousers
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 14, 2012

I watched the extended version of Batman v Superman last night. Hadn't seen it at all before then.

Now, maybe it's because seeing Suicide Squad has altered my brain in some terrible way, or maybe it was the extra 40 minutes that tied the movie together, but I didn't think BvS was a bad film. Long, sure (extra 40 mins?) and boring in a few spots. But compared to Suicide Squad, I much prefer BvS.
          Last edited by Captain Big Trousers; Aug 7, '16, 8:03 AM.
          Even My Henchmen Think I'm Crazy.

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

It is amazing how many reviews, even some good ones, use the word "mess" when describing it.

Comment

• Goblin19
              Talkative Member
              • May 2, 2002

I found BvS extremely dour and dull. Nothing else horribly wrong with it, other than Eisenberg's unbearable scene ruining performance. Both movies have all sorts of little things that bother me, as well as the obvious flaws. At least Suicide Squad has some pacing. Neither are good IMO, but I slightly preferred SS.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

movie made 65 million on Friday. not a bad start....approx. the same amount over seas too

Comment

• BlackKnight
                  The DarkSide Customizer
                  • Apr 16, 2005

I got a bootleg copy ...
                  I really liked what I saw
                  I can't believe the hate for this film ... Sure Joker isn't how we know he looks ...but if this guy was real , out there today .... Why wouldn't he be covered in Tats , And everyone is all done up " hollywoodish" .... But if anyone one was a fan of the actual comic and or secret six , this film to me is well done and seems like an arc for the book . Character developments over all worked story wasn't that Bad . And Margot Robbie nails what I think Harley is .
                  I liked it better than BatsvsSupes
                  Last edited by BlackKnight; Aug 7, '16, 4:25 PM.
                  ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I'm going to check it out next weekend...
                    sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                      The Packaging King
                      • Dec 31, 2004

I loved it.
                      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

267 million Worldwide weekend opening. Domestic 135.1 million

not too shabby

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I liked it. If you go in thinking it's an action movie with DC trappings, then you should be fine. I didn't expect much at all, but was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed myself. My son loved it.

Yes, the first half hour or so goes by way too fast with breakneck setup, but once you get to the mission, it's pretty engaging. Smith was fine. Robie was great, but Leto sucked wind as precicted, trying WAY too hard to top Ledger's Joker, which ain't going to happen. Cameos were fun, and one particular character acted more IN character than in his own movie.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• fallensaviour
                            Talkative Member
                            • Aug 28, 2006

Going with my son on Tuesday or Wednesday.
                            my oldest daughter went with her friends opening night,she enjoyed it,said Harley was awesome.
                            She wants to go again with us so can't be all that bad.
                            “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                              267 million Worldwide weekend opening. Domestic 135.1 million

not too shabby
                              I don't think anyone ever doubted Robbie's fishnets alone wouldn't sell an impressive amount of tickets in the first weekend. Let's see if Will Smith's well-touted "charisma" pulls down the requisite amount of cash next week...

...or if time will tell that SS is actually a better movie than the critics early reviews.

They sure had BvS's number.

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              I liked it. If you go in thinking it's an action movie with DC trappings, then you should be fine. I didn't expect much at all, but was pleasantly surprised and enjoyed myself. My son loved it.
                              I feel bad pointing it out... but I feel the responsibility to report some awfully negative synonyms that have been bandied about (not by me, but people I came to see their point) regarding the concept of what the qualifier "DC trappings" would actually mean.

As in:

Guy #1: "Hey, I'm going to see Suicide Squad!"
                              Guy #2: "Yeah? Prep yourself a movie full o' DC trappings!"
                              Guy #1: "If you mean I should prep myself for a movie whose plot makes little sense---even a for comicbook superhero movie...a movie where the superheros act less like heroes and more like indecipherable angry emo soldiers, then I'm one step ahead of you!"

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              Leto sucked wind as precicted, trying WAY too hard to top Ledger's Joker, which ain't going to happen.
                              Oh yeah... it was predicted, sure.

But you are the first of about a gazillion reviews I've seen online that actually represented it as being so.

I've read many SS reviews via RT and watched quite a few video reviews, and everyone has been neutral in tone and/or positive. Just saying.

I mean, I saw so many non-thrashing reviews of his performance, I was actually starting to think Leto had pulled it off in a way that I'd assuredly be happy with. Now, having you break that seal... not so much.
                              Last edited by huedell; Aug 7, '16, 10:18 PM.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

I feel bad pointing it out... but I feel the responsibility to report some awfully negative synonyms that have been bandied about (not by me, but people I came to see their point) regarding the concept of what the qualifier "DC trappings" would actually mean.

As in:

Guy #1: "Hey, I'm going to see Suicide Squad!"
                                Guy #2: "Yeah? Prep yourself a movie full o' DC trappings!"
                                Guy #1: "If you mean I should prep myself for a movie whose plot makes little sense---even a for comicbook superhero movie...a movie where the superheros act less like heroes and more like indecipherable angry emo soldiers, then I'm one step ahead of you!"
                                I meant DC COMICS trappings. As for the heroes, they act more heroic here than in their previous theatrical excursion this year.

I mean, I saw so many non-thrashing reviews of his performance, I was actually starting to think Leto had pulled it off in a way that I'd assuredly be happy with. Now, having you break that seal... not so much.
                                Well, go see it, and decide for yourself. It's all subjective, of course. I thought he was trying way too hard to be edgy and scary, and he never convinced me of either. Hipster-doofus Joker was how he really came off, to me. But as long as he's with Robie's Harley, I can tolerate him. But your mileage may vary.

Chris
                                Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Aug 8, '16, 4:53 AM.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎