Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ivaniski
    Persistent Member
    • Jun 24, 2007

I saw the movie (it was just OK ��). The problem with the movie was Zach Snyder.....Why did they give him the franchise. I really do think that Ben Afflek would have done a better job also as the director. Initially, I would've loved James Cameron or Peter Jackson to have taken over this franchise. For now......Marvel still has the edge. That's my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Ivaniski; Mar 26, '16, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• gummi
      Career Member
      • Dec 2, 2009

Just got back from seeing it, and I'm sorry to say it's not something I would ever want to sit through again. Typically when seeing a movie like this on opening day with a packed house, you'll get some muted cheers and clapping, some laughter, etc. Except for a few sighs of boredom and the sounds of people shifting in their seats, this was essentially a silent screening from beginning to end. By the time something interesting finally happened, the crowd just seemed to be completely out of it. Really disappointed that it turned out this way, this was the one I was most looking forward to this year.
      "Trying is the first step towards failure." - H. J. Simpson, 1997

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
        Just got back from seeing it...liked it but didn't love it.

Thought Affleck and Cavill were both fantastic. Wonder Woman felt like a second tier character to me...not even as important to the story as Black Widow in the Marvel movies. Since she's supposed to be one of the big three, I expected more. Hopefully she'll blossom in the next installment.
        Loved the thematic elements explored regarding Superman's place in the world. Lex Luthor wasn't as annoying as I thought he would be, but still felt miscast, as did Aquaman, and the Flash was downright horrible. They need Grant Gustin, period.
        The film definitely has some shining moments, but the ending kind of ruined it for me. I give it a 6.5 out of 10.
        Heck, Wonder Woman is the reason I gave it an 8.5/10.

Without her...the flick gets a 7/10...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Hec, I'm interested in your description of the boy in the audience cheering Batman on. The Aquashrine noted, "This movie, and by extension Warner Bros., just really doesn't like Superman."

What say ye?

BTW, Aquashrine seemed to like Momoa's Aquaman.
          I also dug Momoa's Aquaman...he actually intimidated me more than Batman.

I don't know about those damn bloody kids nowadays...as Superman has always been more kid friendly...I guess they love the cowl, Batmobile...and all the cool Bat toys...
          sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Saw it yesterday, and my feelings were mostly positive.

First, yeah... it's very grim, gritty and brooding. That tone is prevalent and doesn't let up.

As surprised as I am... I must say that Affleck's is the BEST of the big screen Batman portrayals.
            The suit is great, the pitch-shifted voice is cool, the Batmobile is awesome, the fighting style is spot on.
            Irons is also great as Alfred.

Story wise, there are some mis-steps, but on the whole the movie is fairly cohesive and effective.

Wonder Woman is great. When she was in action, I was able to overlook the minor gripes about her costume and just go with her total Amazonian awesomeness.

Did not like the portrayal of the Flash, and I still just can't get on with Momoa as Aquaman, but those are matters for another day.
            Also as expected, was not impressed by the movie's interpretation of Luthor.

Cavill is once again great as Superman. That guy owns the role.

I liked Wayne's dream sequences. Foreshadowing of possible futures... Lots of potent imagery and clues in there.

And we all know who is coming... who has heard the "dinner bell".
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

It was the movie I expected from word go. It was another Zack Sndyer super hero movie. No joy. Very dark. Very bleak. Very violent. Lots of destruction.

Since I was prepared for that, I was able to enjoy seeing it. Now, did I like it?

I liked parts of it. Wonder Woman was great. Best part of the film. Affleck LOOKED like Batman and Bruce Wayne. Other than doing some very un-Batman-like things in parts (well, traditionally un-Batman-like, unless you have a picture of Frank Miller on your pillow like Snyder), I liked his Batman.

Cavill could be a GREAT Superman, but he's never in a situation where he can be anything but mopey and dour. They won't give him those moments of joy. If they'd had him talk to the little girl he rescues down in Mexico, that would have humanized him quite a bit, and given us a bit of the kindness Superman is supposed to possess. But Snydr is OBSESSED with the Christ parallels with Superman. Okay, we get it.

I HATED Eisenberg's Luthor. So freaking twitchy and annoying. I know what he was going for, but he couldn't pull it off. Like Ledger's Joker without the uncomfortable humor or menace. Total fail.

Overall, I got what I KNEW I was paying for. If I didn't want to pay for it, I wouldn't have went. I ordered a Big Mac, and got a Big Mac. Not a fillet mignon. A Big Mac.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

I must say I'm confused by all the fuss over Wonder Woman. She was okay, but contributed nothing at all to the story. Every one of her scenes could have been cut from the film and the events and outcome would have been exactly the same.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I actually thought she was one of the better utilized elements, and woven into the plot far better than others. Her involvement actually made sense, and set up her own film.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

SPOILERS

Luthor is a Renfield-type character to Darksied's Dracula in the movie. Yeah, I know Darksied's not in the movie, but there are hints dropped all the way through. When Luthor is ranting in his dad's home office to Holly Hunter, it has a double meaning. When he said demons come from the sky(space or heavens), he's talking about Superman on one level, but he's also heralding Darksied, which becomes more clear in Luthor's final scene, which cuts back to that painting. He's working as Darksied's minion, paving the way for his arrival on Earth. His mania comes from somehow being inside Darksied's sphere of influence.

It seems keeping Lois safe is the key to keeping Superman from going off the rails and joining with Darksied to bring about the future that's shown in the dream sequences.
                    Last edited by madmarva; Mar 26, '16, 9:51 AM.

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                      Permanent Member
                      • Mar 7, 2011

I must say I'm confused by all the fuss over Wonder Woman. She was okay, but contributed nothing at all to the story. Every one of her scenes could have been cut from the film and the events and outcome would have been exactly the same.
                      Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      ^I actually thought she was one of the better utilized elements, and woven into the plot far better than others. Her involvement actually made sense, and set up her own film.

Chris
                      I agree as well Wonder Woman was killer in this film... but I do think if her movie would have hit first (the Way Capt America did Before Avengers)... Her Story line would have fit in better and made a little more sense to this movie as well.

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

Originally posted by Bronxboykev
                        I agree as well Wonder Woman was killer in this film... but I do think if her movie would have hit first (the Way Capt America did Before Avengers)... Her Story line would have fit in better and made a little more sense to this movie as well.
                        For me, the tease we got in this movie plus that still of the Amazons, Entertainment Weekly had earlier in the week has more more excited for the Wonder Woman movie.
                        Last edited by madmarva; Mar 26, '16, 2:54 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Yes, she contributed to the story...the Justice League story. It's the whole point of the movie, the formation of the JL.

She mightily contribute fighting Doomsday, she was baddarze...she was awesome...she's the one who got the most excitement out of the crowd. When she first appears as WW, that was the most goosebump inducing part of the movie...the most giddy moment...the most fun.

Wonder Woman, even in her limited screen time, is part of the Justice League Trinity...she HAD to be included. Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg were included, albeit in very short cameos. Wonder Woman has arrived, created an instant buzz...now people can't wait to see her stand alone movie.

Oh hell yeah she contributed...
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                            Exactomundo...
                            sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
                              A Ray of Sunshine
                              • Jun 17, 2001

I haven't even seen BvS yet, I'm going tomorrow but I'm already thinking that the only movies that can possibly save DC would be WW and Shazam that are upcoming. They can turn things around but they'll have to make some serious changes. #1 get rid of Snyder!!!!

Comment

• Neutron X
                                Persistent Member
                                • Dec 22, 2007

My wife surprised me with tickets and I had no preconceived ideas about anything. I totally enjoyed it! Very gritty but so is the reality of today. I liked all the comic references as well as using current events to explore emotions issues. I was excited to see the new Wonder Woman and Aquaman renditions. I would recommend it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎