Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School bans little girl's Wonder Woman lunchbox...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

School bans little girl's Wonder Woman lunchbox...

The world has gone truly mad...

Reddit user twines18 posted a photo of the letter sent, along with a couple of snaps of the child’s lunchbox, explaining that the school finds Wonder Woman to be a figure that represents violence. “We noticed that Laura has a Wonder Woman lunchbox that features a super hero image,” reads the letter. Super heroes certainly fall into that category.” Seems fair enough, superheroes do tend to throw a few punches. So surely aspiring to the likes of Wonder Woman (one of the only female superheroes, let’s not forget) is a positive thing?

Unbelievable....

sigpic
  • knight errant00
    8 Inch Action Figure
    • Nov 15, 2005

So, here's my solution: we get this kid a Bureaucratic Man lunchbox -- y'know, the hero who solves problems by creating and citing rules and then threatening to call the authorities if you fail to comply. Gotta be a market for that -- this kid's school, sadly, can't be the only one like this today.

Comment

• Falstaff13
      Persistent Member
      • May 28, 2008

When I first read it, I thought they were banning it because Wonder Woman was out of dress code, making me think this was a very strict school.
      Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
      Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

That is just ridiculous. I thought it was maybe due to it being a metal lunch box, but no it's because she's "violent".

I would argue that many of the modern images of Wonder Woman are probably too violent to pass many school dress codes, etc. But this is classic Jose Luis Garcia Lopez (Praise Be His Name) Wonder Woman. She's about as violent as the Smurfs.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

That's ridiculous. Wonder Woman doesn't solve problems by being violent. She solves them by dressing in skin tight spandex briefs, corsets, knee high boots, and uses bondage strategies to get what she wants.

In all seriousness, that is one cool looking lunchbox that any boy or girl should feel proud to carry.

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

If this was my daughter she would be taking a different lunch box to school every day depicting every superhero I could find.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Boy_Wonder_1978
              Career Member
              • Apr 30, 2015

I'd be finding my daughter a new school pronto. There's no way I'd want the type of people that 'consider' an image on a lunch box to be violent teaching my child.

Wonder Woman...? LOL!!!

Thank God it wasn't The Waltons.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Dang, that's a sweet looking lunchbox !!!

Looks very retro

It looks metal

Schools have been banning metal lunchboxes since the early 90's no matter what subject is printed on it

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

If this was my daughter she would be taking a different lunch box to school every day depicting every superhero I could find.
                  I'd go with Deadpool and Wolverine just to tick them off.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• Iron Mego
                      Wake Up Heavy
                      • Jan 31, 2010

On word: Bull****!
                      Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I think she should get an American flag lunchbox.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• skid14
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 23, 2011

it just amazes me what this society deems appropriate and not....

Comment

• TomStrong
                            Persistent Member
                            • Jul 22, 2011

Total bunk man. I teach in a small rural high school and we dont have these kinds of problems. . . yet. Hope we never do. But they're all too common in American schools nowadays. And I really don't know what kind of school it is. Seems a little ridiculous to me. Kids have so many other problems to worry about nowadays.

Comment

• megoscott
                              Founding Partner
                              • Nov 17, 2006

This is a stupid story. There's no info about what kind of school it is. Plenty of schools have policies like this, it may be uncommon in public schools.

My son's charter school had a policy against characters on clothing and lunchboxes. It was a Montessori school and they are very against that sort of thing. Prefer kids to be free thinkers and create for themselves, etc, and they discourage the idea that violence solves problems. I don't think any of that is terrible. This school has a policy and as innocent and friendly as that Wonder Woman is I'm sure they felt they had to be consistent.

As it turns out they are swimming upstream and kids will do what kids will do and the ban never really got enforced. Plenty of angry Hulks and snarling Batmans on backpacks and they all beat the heck out of each other at recess. My son is ****ed he can't wear his Ninjago shirt, but that's what weekends are for.
                              This profile is no longer active.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎