Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School bans little girl's Wonder Woman lunchbox...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

At the end of the day it's about pleasing special interests. Let's not confuse principles with being in the back pocket of these idiots. There's no standard in play here.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

if that were my kid I would be raising holy hell. I have done it before and I will continue to do so. that is just total BS political correct nonsense. it's really no different then when schools in our area started telling kids who brought peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch that they had to go sit at a "special" table because of the kids who have peanut allergies. my daughter would only eat PB &J at that age so we raised holy hell about it and guess what, common sense kicked in and the kids with the allergy got sent to the separate table. this country is going to raise a bunch of sheltered pansies who can't wipe their own nose because they might offend someone. it's a disgrace

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
        if that were my kid I would be raising holy hell. I have done it before and I will continue to do so. that is just total BS political correct nonsense. it's really no different then when schools in our area started telling kids who brought peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch that they had to go sit at a "special" table because of the kids who have peanut allergies. my daughter would only eat PB &J at that age so we raised holy hell about it and guess what, common sense kicked in and the kids with the allergy got sent to the separate table. this country is going to raise a bunch of sheltered pansies who can't wipe their own nose because they might offend someone. it's a disgrace
        Wow nice school, anything peanut related is off limits at my kids school. They patrol for the stuff and remove it from the lunchboxes and send nasty letters home to the parents.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Peanut related bans, I get, and agree with. Some children have a life-threatening allergy to peanuts. Even airborne.

No child's life is in danger if someone brings a Superhero lunchbox.

Comment

• Iron Mego
            Wake Up Heavy
            • Jan 31, 2010

Woops!
            Last edited by Iron Mego; Aug 27, '15, 9:40 PM. Reason: Wrong thread!
            Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

If that were my daughter she'd be sent right back to school with her Wonder Woman lunchbox, along with a nice letter to the school kindly telling them to go to Hell, and also notifying them that if they took it away from her, or harassed her about it again in any way, shape or form, I'd sue their sorry a**es into the next century.

Comment

• HardyGirl
                Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                • Apr 3, 2007

My school has almost the same policy, but we don't say anything about the lunchboxes. The kids are not allowed to play superheroes or bring superheroes for sharing day, or wear the clothes. What I really hate is that they can't be superheroes for Halloween. Not a policy I agree with, but there it is.
                "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

great, so they completely stifle a childs imagination because of fantasy violence. we all grew up with this stuff and did not have to worry about being gunned down in school. those things started in the late nineties with shootings like Columbine. why can't the schools see that?

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

PC insanity.
                    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                      My school has almost the same policy, but we don't say anything about the lunchboxes. The kids are not allowed to play superheroes or bring superheroes for sharing day, or wear the clothes. What I really hate is that they can't be superheroes for Halloween. Not a policy I agree with, but there it is.
                      Not allowed to play superheroes? Not allowed?! Who do these people think they are?
                      What needs to happen is ALL the kids parents need to band together and defy the school. Pick a day and send every single kid to school with a superhero proudly on display. Send these PC morons a message loud and clear. What are they gonna do?

Comment

• HardyGirl
                        Mego Museum's Poster Girl
                        • Apr 3, 2007

No, not allowed. And parents are made aware of this policy when they tour our facility and sign their child up for our school. If this is a policy they don't like, they don't have to sign their child up for our school. My school is a peace academy. It's true superheroes encourage fighting games, (and as a teacher, I've seen this), so no, they're not ALLOWED to play superheroes. No guns, knives, or play fighting. I cannot wear my superhero shirts to school or be superheroes at Halloween. I'm not gonna make this an issue simply b/c it's not that big a deal. And the kids know the rules. Of course they may forget from time to time, (they're pre-schoolers), but that's the way our school works. No one's gonna get up in arms about it. Different strokes for different folks.

Originally posted by enyawd72
                        Not allowed to play superheroes? Not allowed?! Who do these people think they are?
                        What needs to happen is ALL the kids parents need to band together and defy the school. Pick a day and send every single kid to school with a superhero proudly on display. Send these PC morons a message loud and clear. What are they gonna do?
                        "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
                        'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
                        Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
                        If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

My kid's elementary school has the "no playing guns" policy, but no super heroes is where I'd yank them out of there.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Apr 16, 2008

Schools are gong to do whatever they do and make whatever rules they want. Nothing we do or how much we protest or sign petitions are going to change anything.

The scary party of this is, and this really hits home with me, is this is OUR generation pulling this crap. The 40-50 age range primarily make up the largest percentage of faculty, so it's US doing this to US. The same guy who was always at the arcade dressed in a red sleeveless shirt with black nylon pants and a headband playing hours worth of Crazy Climber is now someone's assistant principle or president of a school board.
                            I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                              Hot Child in the City
                              • Jul 3, 2008

I'd get the kid a Three Stooges box! No superhero violence here!

Better yet, Looney Tunes..of course you know, this means war!

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by HardyGirl
                                No, not allowed. And parents are made aware of this policy when they tour our facility and sign their child up for our school. If this is a policy they don't like, they don't have to sign their child up for our school. My school is a peace academy. It's true superheroes encourage fighting games, (and as a teacher, I've seen this), so no, they're not ALLOWED to play superheroes. No guns, knives, or play fighting. I cannot wear my superhero shirts to school or be superheroes at Halloween. I'm not gonna make this an issue simply b/c it's not that big a deal. And the kids know the rules. Of course they may forget from time to time, (they're pre-schoolers), but that's the way our school works. No one's gonna get up in arms about it. Different strokes for different folks.
                                It's interesting. Thanks for sharing your school's perspective on this. It's not a public school, so they can make their own rules. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's their right to do. I think it has less to do with political correctness and more to do with promoting peaceful conflict resolution in a community, where (perhaps) violence might be a problem. It's easy for us fanboys to do a knee jerk outrage reaction to this, but until you've been a teacher in public (or private) education, you may not fully appreciate just how ... scary it can be, even with little ones.

But then again, playing devil's advocate on the flip side of (Harvey Dent's) coin, some educators would argue that Superheroes can engage and excite kids about learning, as can be seen in this handsome fella's video:FRACTION HERO (you can skip to 00:53 if you want to get to the good part)

Last edited by Hedji; Aug 28, '15, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎