Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayhank
    That Fisher Price Guy
    • Feb 9, 2007

Well the pages have browned somewhat but I found them in an old notebook binder when I retreived what was left of my stuff at my parent's home. I think at the time I had them separate from my superhero comics because I was probably embarrassed by them or something. So when the other comics mysteriously got evaporated by world conquering aliens (or at least thrown out by my mom) they survived relatively undamaged. And they still have that old comic book scent too!!!
    Scott D Thompson | Facebook

Comment

• spock5
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 14, 2006

1st book

~~~~My very first book which I still have today was a Tales to Astonish 1960s The Submariner vs Spiderman.From a Farmer Jacks grocery store comic turnstyle.Now those were the days, 12 cent issues.
      Ken

Comment

• Wolverine1969
        Career Member
        • Apr 7, 2005

A copy of Superman Family which I have to this day. My mom got it for me. That hooked me and I asked for more right away.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Merlyn1976
          Moon Knight #3 "Midnight means Murder"...I can remember my dad reading this too me as a bedtime story
          An excellent (if violent) first book! Moon Knight rocked then, not so much now...
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

First one i remember reading was in the barber shop X-Men #25, decades later i read #26 to find out what happened.

First one i remember buying Justice League of America #100 & 101 they had the JLA/JSA teamup looking for the 7 Soldiers of Victory. Mom ripped them up and when i tried to buy them again she sent me back in the store to swap them for something else. i got a Partridge Family and a Bobby Sherman comics which dissappeared real soon afterward.

The next comic i bought started my long time collection Green Lantern/Green Arrow 121 with ringless GL falling out of a plane with Arrow looking out the open hatch. still love that cover.
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• johnmiic
              Adrift
              • Sep 6, 2002

I cannot honestly say what was first but these are my earliest recollections:

HULK fighting an alien mouth on an alien world that hovered in the air
              THOR being tricked by Egyptian Gods into betraying the Norse Gods
              Spider-Man Treasury Edition guest-starring Ghost Rider. The villain used hypnosis at a circus.
              Spider-Man with the Spider-Buggy
              Batman tracking down Cobra and his friend being entombed in ice.
              DC Horror Treasury anthology.
              Various Spidey Stories from the Electric Co., Superfriends, Archies, Casper

I have not been able to ID those. I can pinpoint the rest below.

Someone gave my Aunt a whole stack of Kamandi-Last Boy On Earth, various issues, when I was a kid. I loved those! I re-purchased them as I got serious into collecting comics.

Marvel 2 in 1- 30-31,The THING vs Alicia Masters as a giant spider, 35-36-team up's with Kull, The now legendary Marvel Two-in-One Annual #2, (I now know what it's worth and lose sleep every night over it).

Fantastic Four 189 - reprint; "The Torch That Was!", 190- "The Way It Was!", The Album Issue, 191 - FF No More!

Howard the Duck #23 - Star Waugh!

From this point I bought Detective, Brave & The Bold, Batman, Man From Atlantis, Shogun Warriors, Logan's Run, Godzilla, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Micronauts, Moon Knight, ROM and it goes on...
              Last edited by johnmiic; Aug 20, '11, 12:43 AM.

Comment

• Drzsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 9, 2011

Im sure I had earlier books but the first one I remember buying was Doom Patrol #123 in about 1973.I walked to the corner store and got it off the spinner rack,I was 5. Alittle later I remember my Great Uncle who lived in Florida would come to visit and he would always bring me all the comics he had bought to that point lots of Harvey stuff and I remember some Marvel like the Hulk.
                When I started really having an interest in comics for collecting purposes I remember being on a family vacation and buying one of the combo bags from the grocery store with JLA # 91 and 92 in it.

Comment

• torgospizza
                  Theocrat of Pan Tang
                  • Aug 19, 2010

There's no way it was my first, but the first I remember having for certain is DC's Tarzan Digest from 1972. I was reading comics earlier than that, but I have no idea what.

Comment

• number 6
                    Village Idiot
                    • Jul 10, 2003

Tough to say, though I'm pretty sure it was Micronauts #12. There may have been a Justice League of America issue before that, but I can find a cover that matches my memory of it.

Comment

• johnnystorm
                      Hot Child in the City
                      • Jul 3, 2008

WORLD'S FINEST #169

Comment

• aquatroy
                        Permanent Member
                        • Apr 28, 2002

Last edited by aquatroy; Aug 17, '11, 10:05 PM.
                        Hey! Check out the pictures.

Comment

• Riffster
                          Atomic batteries to power
                          • Jun 29, 2008

easy answer for me it was Detective Comics

I still have it too
                          Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
                          And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

When I was a little kid (under 10)...I wasn't into superhero comics.

I loved Little Lulu...it was my favorite early in my life.

Then a bit later...I moved to The Archies (strange that a kid would rather read about teens than superheroes, lol).

While living in Mexico...Kaliman was a big favorite.

Then once I got into superheroes (ages 11 and up)...I got into Superman (and some Batman)...he was my first in that genre...and I stuck mostly with him until I hit my mid to late teens...then...believe it or not...Superman started boring the hell outta me...lol.

That's when I discovered Spider-Man...it was so radically new to me...so different than DC Comics at the time...I was really hooked with Spidey.

Then in the 20s...I really got into the X-Men.

Now in my 40s...I'm back with the Man of Steel...that's my main man right there...

Last edited by Hector; Aug 18, '11, 1:04 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

can't remember for sure but i think it might have been huey dewey and louie.

one of the earliest ones i remember was a coverless daredevil i was left with a cliff hanger as bullseye had him down.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

easy answer for me it was Detective Comics
                                Man oh man, I loved those Dollar Comics, esp. Detective. I was so bummed out when Detective went back to a normal page count and dropped Robin instead of Batgirl...

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎