Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

You can thank the Colorado shooting for this. DC/WB were adamant about redefining Joker into something unattainable. At first, it was more towards slasher-cinema, which is where the Leatherface/Jigsaw look came from. Now, they've just opted to make him violent Loki.
      They cut the Joker's face off in the first issue of the New 52 Detective Comics, which was in late 2011. I'm going to assume they had some plan for that, so I'm not sure those events are connected.

I just saw a recent solicitation for "Justice League" where Batman gets super-powers....
      So...do we think, one day, folks will be rolling their eyes at this stuff like the 50s Batman sci-fi stuff, or Superman's mullet? I'm thinking so.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

hey, I liked the mullet period for Supes. classic period of comics in my book, LOL

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

I haven't read this yet, but I agree with Chris, the need to give everything an explanation in a make-believe world does spoil the mystery and fun or at least for me.

Snyder has really been hit and miss with me. His pre-New52 run in Detective with Dick as Batmn had me eagerly anticipating his run on Batman with Bruce. I liked a lot of Court of Owls, but it went on too long and having an older Wayne brother out there just didn't click for me.

The Death of the Family storyline again had its ups and downs, but ultimately worked to me for the most part. I really enjoyed his zero year Riddler story, probably the only Riddler story I've ever really enjoyed. I've never really cared for the character other than in the 66 TV show.

But I have to say, Batman Eternal, which Snyder is piloting with other writers, is the most enjoyable Batman-related stories since Loeb and Sale were treating us to stories.

While the New 52 Justice League never lives up to its promise, I do like the way John's handles Batman in the series.
          Last edited by madmarva; Feb 3, '15, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            They cut the Joker's face off in the first issue of the New 52 Detective Comics, which was in late 2011. I'm going to assume they had some plan for that, so I'm not sure those events are connected.
            Right, but the face cut is an implication in 2011 and it's not stapled on until Death of The Family, which was October 2012, about four months after Colorado. There's a Harley story about her trying to find his face, but he's absent. I'm sure Snyder had something laid out earlier, but after the shooting, Joker became a highly scrutinize property for DC/WB.

I just look at the Superman suit and how DC denied Jim Lee changed it for Man Of Steel, and then post-movie release, it comes out he was working directly with Snyder's art department on the design. There's just a nice pattern of when Joker changes occur and their proximity to his film usage.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

hey, I liked the mullet period for Supes. classic period of comics in my book, LOL
              The comics were great, the haircut...not so much. It didn't look bad when Jurgens drew it as just slightly longer, but others really did make him look like either Fabio-wannabe...or Billy Ray Cyrus.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎