Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How age appropriate is Guardians of the Galaxy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

How age appropriate is Guardians of the Galaxy?

Ok, next weekend I'm planning to take my eight year old son to see this, from what I've heard and seen, he should be ok, but now of course my five year old daughter wants to go too. How is this movie regarding scary/violent or thematically uncomfortable scenes? In Ontario it is rated PG (Violence, Not Recommended for Young Children) and I've read a couple family movie guides regarding this film and it doesn't seem too bad. Of course, I'm kind of liberal in regards to what I normally let my kids watch, according to some people, so I'm not sure how good my filter is.
  • rche
    channeling Bob Wills
    • Mar 26, 2008

We just went and saw GoG at the drive-in with my 8 and 10 yo. Both claim to have loved it and not been scared.

critiques - Personally, I thought the opening scene was a bit rough for kids as it deals fairly dramatically with the death of a loved one. There was gratuitous, over the top, barroom brawl violence all over the place. Some cursing that probably could have been left out, and the flipping the bird gag that was already shown in the teasers.

As a whole tho, my kids noted that they saw the characters develop from selfish to heroic and they both told me they thought the 'good guys won in the end'.

hope that helps.

Comment

• MegoSteve
      Superman's Pal
      • Jun 17, 2005

I don't want to post any spoilers (PM me if you don't mind specifics), but it might be much for a five-year-old. The villain Ronan is very scary.

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

It's cartoon violence. If she's sat through any array of Saturday morning programming or cable-for-kids shows, it comes pretty close.

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

Space ships blow up, people are hit and thrown around and shot and stabbed. It's your basic super hero stuff. The language and jokes are a bit more course than the other Marvel films. Ronan and Thanos are comic book evil and could be scary. It's a PG-13 movie for reasons. The violence and villains and aliens are a little stronger than Star Wars movies, but the tone isn't as serious.The language is stronger, but not nearly as much profanity as you might hear in a 70s PG film.

SPOILER

There are scenes of a character's mother shown in the last stages of cancer who dies. I think that might prompt the most questions from a young child.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

My 6 year old daughter saw it with us, and was fine. Most of the coarse language and innuendo went right over her head, I believe. None of the violence is up in the camera for long. It happens, and is quickly panned away from.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• cjefferys
              Duke of Gloat
              • Apr 23, 2006

Thanks for the advice and info folks! It looks like she might be ok seeing this, but we'll see how things go. It's a week away, she's five, by then she might completely change her mind and not want to go after all.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

I think Five might be a little young. Not because of any one scene of violence, but there is an intensity to it toward the end. You know your daughter best, but I'm thinking back to when my daughter was 5, and I'd say no.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎