X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnmiic
    Adrift
    • Sep 6, 2002

Sam Raimi explains why he didn't do Spider-Man 4

Rather anti-climactic but if he had been given more time...

• Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

It's refreshing that he's that honest about it. And the fact that Spider-Man 3 is a wreck. There are good elements, but it's a mess.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Starroid Raiders Dagon
      Persistent Member
      • Apr 28, 2013

His films (especially the first two) had so much charm. My niece would sit and watch the first two films over and over when she was just a baby. They just seemed to hold her attention, and it was kind of an incredible sight. I was happy to see Raimi taking on Spider-man as I have been a fan since I first watched the Evil Dead on video tape all those many years ago.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

SM3 disappointed me because there was the core of a good film in it but lost in the addition of Venom IMO.

I think SM2 with Dr. Octopus stands as a great superhero movie.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Venom alone itself was not the problem per say...it was how rushed the character was introduced (near the end of the movie), how small the part turned out to be, and how lame it was portrayed by Topher Grace (a good actor, but badly miscast here)...and the constant showing of his face as Venom, well, it just became a big joke. The CGI Venom was pretty bad too.

Although I like the Raimi first two Spidey flicks, I always hated that Spidey always had his mask ripped off, just to show you Tobey's face...something that, thank goodness, has been avoided in the Amazing Spider-Man movies (for the most part).
          sigpic

Comment

• Timothy2251
            Jerks beef with Ten Bears
            • Mar 15, 2008

Never got the unmasking bit in the Spidey flicks, or for most superhero films for that matter, though I will give it up for that schtick during the climactic battle in Spider-Man 2. Helped humanize Ock at the end ("Gifted but lazy...") and confirmed MJ's suspicions.

I WON'T forgive Spidey dropping his camera in the first Amazing Spider-Man film, though. Sure, Spidey, put "Property of Peter Parker" on your freakin' camera and leave it behind so the Lizard can find it. Nice move!

Geez, that movie.
            "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

The movie should have been split into two movies. I hate when movies keep adding villains just to sell more action figures. They tend to ruin the movie.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

The unmasked superhero is a contractual tactic by agents so the actor can be more closely identified with the role, which makes it harder for the studio to replace them whenever the studio wants. Maguire was the first to do this when renegotiating for Spidey 2. It became such a mess Sony had actually contracted Topher Grace to replace him, which is how he became Brock.

You would think it started with Jackman for Wolverine or ever Keaton in Batman Returns, but those were actual script and costume design decisions. X-Men went all black leather because they were trying to visually associate with The Matrix and not 90's Batman.

So everything from Downey's Stark-Head/IM suit for every movie to Bana's face being enlarged for Hulk and Torch not really torching out were all due to the actors, which forced the screenplays to find some kind of logic to make it work. That's why, to me, Bale was the best; he knew the character had to commit to the costume or else you end up with forced scenes like the Spidey 2 metro.

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Great post! ^^^^^^^^
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎