X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Ralphie meets Flash Gordon

File this under "I knew this, but forgot about it". Was watching "A Christmas Story" while trimming the tree (a family tradition) and while the credits were rolling, I caught the character names "Flash Gordon" and "Ming the Merciless" among them. No deleted scenes on the DVD (20th anniversary edition), but the documentary on the disc did show an action still of Ralphie blasting something with the Red Ryder BB gun, while Flash was trapped by some alien creature. A quick check on youtube showed me nothing, but I did find this nice still at the Christmas Story House's website:

Chris
    sigpic
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I've tried in the past to figure this out, this photo is pretty awesome. Wonder why they cut the scene.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

The actor definitely has a Buster Crabbe vibe about him. The reason given on the website above is that theaters wanted it to run around 90 minutes (it clocks in at 93). Several fantasy sequences were apparently cut. I can't believe this footage hasn't made it onto a DVD/Blu-Ray. This movie is it's own cottage industry, if someone at Turner/WB would dig this out, clean it up, and put out a new Blu-Ray, it would sell.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

I have the movie but if they threw in this scene I'd buy it all over again.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

That's pretty cool and something I hadn't known about one of my favorite movies.

Danny
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• torgospizza
            Theocrat of Pan Tang
            • Aug 19, 2010

It's funny you posted that picture--that was my Facebook profile pic until last night. Now it's Robert Wagner as Prince Valiant.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

YES,react post, Chris! Always wanted to see this. It must've gotten pretty far along, because they scored it. In fact, the track "Ming the Merciless" made it onto the soundtrack CD!

Would've been interesting to see this in the context of only being a couple of years after the Sam Jones film. It's also surprising it got cut considering it looks like some money was spent on sets and costumes. But, yeah, I've always wanted to see this.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

WOW. I had no idea about any of the deleted scenes.

The runtime makes perfect sense. That was tried and true until Dances With Wolves.

I think the reason we haven't seen it is this was originally an MGM film purchased by Turner as part of their library acquisition pre-WB merger. Lord only knows what survived because this was all pre-home video/DVD market explosion.

I can't believe someone at WB hasn't looked for it. Could you imagine the ratings if you ran this version one time only around Thanksgiving then released the collector's set on Black Friday or the following week? That's a huge double-tap.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

YES,react post, Chris! Always wanted to see this. It must've gotten pretty far along, because they scored it. In fact, the track "Ming the Merciless" made it onto the soundtrack CD!

Would've been interesting to see this in the context of only being a couple of years after the Sam Jones film. It's also surprising it got cut considering it looks like some money was spent on sets and costumes. But, yeah, I've always wanted to see this.
                  Yes, I did see that on YouTube this morning, and initially hoped it was a clip, but I guess it's just not out there.

I think the reason we haven't seen it is this was originally an MGM film purchased by Turner as part of their library acquisition pre-WB merger. Lord only knows what survived because this was all pre-home video/DVD market explosion.
                  Yes, that could be part of it. Turner has become such and advocate of film restoration, it's hard to imagine that they wouldn't want to put this out if they could, especially considering how popular it still is.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Thanks so much for posting the soundtrack clip--I'm a huge fan and knew of the scene & edit, but not the soundtrack.

I cannot believe I haven't been to the museum yet--it's practically next door.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

I saw that movie when it first came out. Has it really been 30 years? I would buy it if they included the cut scenes.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I cannot believe I haven't been to the museum yet--it's practically next door.
                        We visited back in October. The tour guide gave some great history, most of which I knew, but interesting nontheless. Then they just turned us loose and let us explore the house! The museum is full of props and costumes, and the store has some good swag, and the prices are decent. Definitely worth $10 if you are fan of the movie.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎