X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Thor: The Dark World SPOILERS

Okay, if you don't want SPOILERS go over to Operation: Mego's long-running thread. Here, there be SPOILERS!!!

First off, what a FUN movie. I know I said this in the other thread, but man, I had a great time with this.

The Captain America cameo had my theater cheering and laughing. Such a great surprise. Hiddleson is so damn good as Loki. I heard several people whisper that they loved him at several points in the film.

Loki's apparent betrayal of Thor and his dismembering him had me going for a second. And then Loki's death was well-played. I honestly felt he was a bit TOO earnest and good there at the end...and I was right. Now THAT is how you do a satisfying plot-twist Iron Man 3!

So, now Loki is ruling Asgard as Odin. How does this play out? Where is Odin? When will we see this... Thor 3?

Chris
    sigpic
  • spacecaps
    Second Mouse
    • Aug 24, 2011

I have no problems ragging on movies that blow (see the Sci-Fi section for my take on Ender's Game) so it's nice to post on a movie that I actually enjoyed. Next to the 1st Iron Man, I think this Thor was the best Marvel movie I've seen (I don't like the Spider Mans films at all...) The humor was awesome. Loki as Cap was laugh out loud funny. The bit players were perfect and kept the story moving. Having most of the movie take place not on Earth was also a welcome change too. One of the marks of a good movie is that it doesn't feel like it's run time and with Thor, it felt over so fast despite being almost two hours. Even the Avengers dragged a bit with an extra long end battle (and Iron Man fixing a floating aircraft for 30 minutes) but this movie switched from battle to battle nicely and worked in the characters on both worlds nicely. Stan Lee had a good cameo in this one too. Loki is also my new favorite villain now. He's just awesome. By far the best scene in this film was when Loki changes into Captain America. I also loved the Collector scene at the end setting up the Guardians and I liked how Marvel is showing the after effects of the Avengers movie in the separate hero movies. We got to see how Iron Man dealt with the aftermath in IM3, now we get Thor's story. I'm sure Captain America 2 will follow suit as well. really what they're doing with these movies is just unheard of. It used to be impossible to get an ensemble cast to return for a sequel let alone show up in a cameo in another movie plus retaining the cast from the previous movie. One other scene that I thought was just perfect which will probably get over looked was when Natalie Portman tells everyone at the window to get out and the guy turns to her and says, "Are you crazy? That's Thor out there and he's swinging his hammer and everything." and then goes right on filming the battle with his phone along with everyone else. That's pretty much what would happen now a days. Moments later that window just crashes in on everyone. Loved it.
    "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, that was a great moment with the spectators. I liked the call back to Darcy calling Mljonir "Mel-mew" or whatever she said.

The Collector part felt a bit odd, but I get the feeling the Guaridans of the Galaxy movie is going to be a bit...odd. So I was okay with it. I have no connection to these characters, so I'm willing to roll with the flow on this one. Benicio Del Toro tends to chew scenery when allowed, so I'm sure he will here.

The cross-pollination with these films is incredible, and unprecedented as far as I can tell. We've said it all before, but it really does read like the early Marvel Universe, where Spider-Man may look up and see Thor fly by, or Cap bound over a roof top. The Loki-as-Cap bit is now one of my favorite surprise moments in movies, period.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
        valar morghulis
        • Mar 8, 2005

Saw an early matinee today. I was fine with it, didn't love it or dislike it. I yawned a lot. I was just looking at EW's review, and they called it a watchable slab of Marvel boilerplate, and gave it a B-. I agree, tho I'd probably be a bit more generous and bump it a B.

I'll always watch these Marvel flicks, but the formula has gotten pretty tedious.

Comment

• Riffster
          Atomic batteries to power
          • Jun 29, 2008

I loved it.. I'd give it an A, it was very entertaining
          Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
          And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• spacecaps
            Second Mouse
            • Aug 24, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

The cross-pollination with these films is incredible, and unprecedented as far as I can tell. We've said it all before, but it really does read like the early Marvel Universe, where Spider-Man may look up and see Thor fly by, or Cap bound over a roof top. The Loki-as-Cap bit is now one of my favorite surprise moments in movies, period.

Chris
            Totally true with the exception of X-Men. That seems to be operating in it's own universe. I know the Stark name shows up and things like that but there hasn't been a direct character reference as far as I can tell either way. I mean in Iron Man 3 Tony has a bit of a freakout when he's talking about fighting aliens from another dimension alongside a god but there's never a mention of mutants at all. I'm sure Spidey will show up in an Avengers cross-over eventually but X-Men seems to be it's own entity so far. When I said that Thor Dark World was my second favorite marvel movie, I wasn't counting the X-Men films. First Class is my favorite Marvel movie so far.
            "Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

^Oh yeah, they are limited to the characters Marvel hasn't sold off rights to, but it still feels like those early Marvel books.

My favorite is still Captain America: The First Avenger. I haven't been that geek-giddy since Batman in 1989 (I was 14, what did I know?).

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
                Career Member
                • Aug 29, 2007

Did anyone else feel like Anakin Skywalker was going to walk out on that ornate Venetian balcony when Padme/Natalie Portman was getting all lovey-dovey with Thor? It looked a lot like the scene from Star Wars. My mind got distracted as I started thinking about a Thor/ Darth Vader showdown.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                  valar morghulis
                  • Mar 8, 2005

^I was waiting for someone to break out the "they have a cave troll" line from LOTR when that stone creature came walking up

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I saw it this evening and really enjoyed it. Loki imitating Cap was hysterical. I really liked how the final battle took them through different dimensional portals of the universe. I knew Loki didn't die. That was too easy. And I'm not so sure he had taken Odin prisoner so much as just assumed the role while he was away from the throne tending to a highly damaged city. Thor took quit the beating in this, but those battles were epic. I really liked how his hammer glowed as he struck down with it. Some really nice comic moments in those fight sequences. I saw allot of influences from other films in some of the ship and city designs. There were moments when Asgard looked like the city landscape in the Phantom Menace. Even the same kind of vertical ships. I also saw some Flash Gordon 1980 influence when you saw the palace covered with that force shield while laser blasts shot from all over. It was at that point I felt like shouting "Flash! Ah ha!" From what I could make of the final scene during the credits, it would appear Thanos is much closer to finding another opening into this world. If Winter Soldier can deliver, Avengers II could be lining up to be an even bigger hit than the first one. Solid film though. Hard to be a fan of Thor and not love what was delivered here. I give it 8.5 out of 10
                    Last edited by MIB41; Nov 13, '13, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Operation:Mego
                      I'm the Star Spangled Man
                      • May 21, 2011

Absolutely amazing! It took me longer to see than intended but I was completely blown away! I liked it even better than the first (which was my favorite film before Avengers was released)!

Tom Hiddleston is absolutely perfect as Loki. Every scene he's in he nails it. During his 'death' scene, I kept waiting for him to pop out and be all like 'sorry I couldn't resist. You're too sentimental Thor'. But then they left. And then the reveal that he was ODIN!?!? had my jaw drop. That completely blew me away! Though when the guard arrives on Svartalfheim, he glows green so I had a little suspicion. But still!

And Chris Evans as Loki as Cap was one of the funniest scenes of the movie. XD I just COULDN'T STOP laughing. And they played the Captain America march briefly. Perfect. The humor throughout was absolutely hilarious, it was way funnier than I was expecting.

I did not expect Frigga's death, though it was cool that they showed her kicking *** before. Her funeral was absolutely beautiful. The music throughout the film was great, but it truly stood out (in a good way) for this scene.

The battles were intense and excellent. Especially the invasion of Asgard, that entire sequence had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. And the prologue was very reminiscent of the first Thor opening battle (no doubt on purpose).

And the post-credit scene shocked me. The Tesseract and Aether are Infinity Stones? Wow... Guess we know how Thanos will be involved in GotG.

The final scene had me laughing again. The Jotunheim beast reminded me more of a puppy chasing after the birds than a terrifying creature of destruction. Then again, we've only seen them when their home is under attack, so they might actually be a gentle race unless provoked...I've put way too much thought into this.

I could go on a lot longer about it, so I'll just stop here by saying I think it is Marvel's best film so far, and am eagerly looking forward to Winter Soldier next year (seeing the trailer on the big screen was awesome too).

A++
                      sigpic
                      The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Thor: The Dark World Blu-Ray bonus features:

THOR THE DARK WORLD (FEATURED WITH AUDIO COMMENTARY BY DIRECTOR AND CAST): 1:47:23

ALL HAIL THE KING – A MARVEL ONE-SHOT: 13:13

A BROTHERS JOURNEY – THOR & LOKI (PART 1): 16:14

A BROTHERS JOURNEY – THOR & LOKI (PART 2): 14:02

EXCLUSIVE LOOK – CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER: 3:23

SCORING THOR: THE DARK WORLD WITH BRYAN TYLER: 5:05

DELETED & EXTENDED SCENES – 6:38:

EXTENDED CELEBRATION SCENE (WITH COMMENTARY BY ALAN TAYLOR & KRAMER MOREGENTHAU)
                          JANE LEARNS ABOUT THE AETHER (WITH COMMENTARY BY ALAN TAYLOR & KRAMER MOREGENTHAU)
                          LOKI: THE FIRST AVENGER (WITH COMMENTARY BY TOM HIDDLESTON)
                          THOR AND FRIGGA DISCUSS LOKI (WITH COMMENTARY BY KEVIN FEIGE):
                          DARK ELVES PREPARE FOR BATTLE (WITH COMMENTARY BY KEVIN FEIGE)
                          EXTENDED VANAHEIM SCENE (WITH COMMENTARY BY KEVIN FEIGE)

GAG REEL: 3:18

The Blu-Ray will be released February 25, 2013.
                          sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Valkyrie concept art:

sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Right before “Thor: The Dark World” opened, I pointed out some of the hidden secrets from the latest Marvel movie and how its first end credit scene – featuring the Collector, a c…
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎