X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Deep thoughts on Marvel superheroes...

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it is exactly I love so much about Marvel superheroes and why they're such an important part of my life. I came to realize there are many reasons which I feel like sharing with you guys.

1. Stan Lee. I'm always in awe of how many characters he created/co-created, but more than that, he seems like an old friend. Even though I've never met the man, I feel like I know him, and he always made me feel like I was part of something special, like a member of an exclusive club that only a few knew about. For years I've loved listening to him narrate the various Marvel cartoons, almost like a grandfather (which I never really had) telling me these fantastic stories. I just love the guy.

2. Diversity. I love how unique the various main characters are...from a teenager, to a scientist, an inventor, a soldier, a handicapped man, and a god. Each one is something special, and has a moral lesson attached to them whether it's teaching responsibility, overcoming adversity, learning humility, being a patriot, etc. I feel they're all really good role models.

3. Positivity. Rather than focusing on the destruction and loss of life in their movies (Which someone here said they fail to address) I think they instead choose to focus on the lives saved, which I think is much more important. When I watch a Marvel movie, I come away feeling GOOD about myself and the rest of humanity.

4. Fantasy. I love how the comics and movies/TV shows don't take themselves too seriously. Superheroes were never meant to be serious adult fare, and trying to make them that (Dark Knight trilogy for example) just sucks all the fun and escapism out of them. I mean, it's okay to inject some drama into the stories, but these are tales of colorful costumed people fighting each other. First and foremost they should be FUN.

Of course there have been some missteps along the way...from the clone saga to civil war to brand new day, but all in all, I think Marvel's done some solid entertaining in almost every medium available, and personally, I can't wait too see what's next.

Make Mine Marvel!
  • Operation:Mego
    I'm the Star Spangled Man
    • May 21, 2011

Agreed on all points! Though in an interview with Kevin Smith, The Man stated that he did intend for them to be serious and for adults, but I do get the point you're making.
    sigpic
    The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Marvelmania
      A Ray of Sunshine
      • Jun 17, 2001

Really I don't care all that much for Stan Lee the man but absolutely loved what he represented to me during the 70s. I mean his name and face were Marvel. When I see or hear his name it just takes me back to good memories. I got into Marvel Comics at the perfect time right around 1974. The stories usually had something to do with the current times and issues and I could relate to it more. Their heroes just became part of my life.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

I probably feel about the same about DC's characters as you do about Marvel's. And that's why your fourth point hits home.

The films from Marvel Studio really do capture the fun of super heroes without being too silly. While I like Nolan's Batman films for what they were and Mon of Steel, too, I think The WB is trying so hard to avoid silly or camp or that they have drained a lot of the fun out of the films.

Iron Man, Avengers, Captain America and Thor all delivered on the fun factor, where Man of Steel and Nolan's Batman movies really didn't. There was a level of fun for me in seeing how some things were adapted from the comics to the screen, but I felt really good leaving the theater after seeing those Marvel films.

Now, I'd argue Dark Night is a better film than any of the Marvel movies, but it wasn't a fun movie.

I do like that The WB wants to take the DC characters seriously, but I would like for them to dial it back a notch and add some fun to their productions.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

As much as I like the Nolan films and MOS, I would agree that a slightly lighter touch wouldn't hurt my feelings any. I think Captain America: The First Avenger is a prime example of how you can handle some heavy stuff (Nazis, war, death) and still have a feeling of fun and adventure.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
            Talkative Member
            • Jul 7, 2007

I'm with you Chris. The Cap movie did a great job of walking the line between being true to the spirit of the character, but not campy and silly. Of all the Marvel characters, Cap is the most like a DC character because he was created during the same era so his film is a good example of how WB could handle its characters.
            Last edited by madmarva; Sep 4, '13, 9:24 PM.

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

I always saw DC vs. marvel characters as a battle between old school and new school. DC had decades and decades of history and reverence behind their stable of characters while Marvel saw fit to be the innovators and create more relatable characters. For example, Spider-man could be anybody, he's an everyman just like Captain America. They just experienced a strange twist of fate that altered their destinies, but didn't really change WHO they were. DC's characters are largely those who have undergone massive changes to their lives and personalities.

Bruce Wayne experiences the worst crime imaginable and becomes an obsessive, borderline sociopath, the exact opposite of what he would have grown to be.

Playboy Oliver Queen is marooned on an island and becomes a survivalist hunter with a penchant for social activism.

Hal Jordan is an irresponsible yet talented pilot with a massive ego who suddenly has a universe full of responsibility dropped into his lap and becomes the ultimate space cop.

Clark Kent is an alien raised in Kansas and carries that secret through his entire life until the first time his Super services are needed. He still maintains the ruse.

Billy Batson is given the powers of the gods at age ten, forever altering anything destiny had in store for him.

The DC encyclopedia is filled with characters whose dependence on alter-egos and secret identities is paramount to their core. I just don't see that across the board with Marvel. Sure peter Parker has a secret identity, but he's essentially the same smartass guy he was prior to being bitten. He wasn't fundamentally altered by his powers, he was merely augmented.

There's no right or wrong with all of this, just an obvservation. I always preferred the rich and deep history of DC heroes, their interactions through the years and the overall respect their world shows them. I loved the way Batman and Sueprman were written before 52 and the way they just knew each other so well and worked together so well. It's annoying and a little sad to me to see them start the process over. They are at their best when they see themselves as equals, and that level of mutual respect filters down the the rest of the DCU. I truly don't ever see that returning...
              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Scott, from what you wrote about Superman and Batman, I think you'd like the new Superman/Batman book even though it goes back to the beginning of their relationship. In the New 52, the two characters are very close, trusted friends.

That characterization may not last if the Superman/Batman movie has them at odds and that flows down from the films to the comics, but they have been characterized as friends from the beginning in the New52. They knew each other's identities prior to forming the Justice League.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎