The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - First Image Revealed + the Writers interview

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operation:Mego
    I'm the Star Spangled Man
    • May 21, 2011

In an interview, Anthony Mackie reported he was unhappy with the modern take on his costume. He wanted the red spandex look from the comics.

The Winter Soldier actor unhappy with the modern take on his costume. He wanted the red spandex look from the comics.Subscribe to IGN's channel for reviews, ...
    sigpic
    The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Premise:

After the cataclysmic events in New York with the Avengers, Steve Rogers is living quietly in Washington, D.C. and trying to adjust to the modern world. But when a S.H.I.E.L.D. colleague comes under attack, Steve becomes embroiled in a web of intrigue that threatens to put the world at risk. Joining forces with Black Widow, Captain America struggles to expose the ever-widening conspiracy while fighting off professional assassins sent to silence him at every turn. When the full scope of the villainous plot is revealed, Captain America and the Black Widow enlist the help of a new ally, the Falcon. However, they soon find themselves up against an unexpected and formidable enemy—the Winter Soldier.

To prepare for the role as Winter Soldier, Stan endured five months of physical training and did historical research. "I dove into the whole cold war thing," said Stan. "I looked at the KGB. I looked at all kinds of spy movies, and all kinds of documentaries about that time, and what it was about. I grabbed anything from that time period. Anything about brainwashing."

Plus, Marvel D23 debuts new scenes for 'Thor' and 'Captain America' sequels:

Last edited by Operation:Mego; Aug 13, '13, 3:01 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Operation:Mego
        In an interview, Anthony Mackie reported he was unhappy with the modern take on his costume. He wanted the red spandex look from the comics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsEbiYplyo
        He nailed it. The Falcon has one of the coolest costumes in the Marvel Universe. And they couldn't even get the colors mixed in? Everything is SWAT on steroids these days.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
          He nailed it. The Falcon has one of the coolest costumes in the Marvel Universe. And they couldn't even get the colors mixed in? Everything is SWAT on steroids these days.
          Yeah, I knew it wouldn't be exactly the same as the comics, but there's not even anything that resembles his original costume at all. It looks awful, there's not even a hint of red anywhere.
          sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

The Falcon's First costume was green with no wings, I'm hoping at some point, Sam wants his own threads and we get the Red and white costume in some variation. Falcon was a Fav mego of mine and I dug the Toy biz version too.....

Comment

• May 21, 2011

As of this film, Rumlow is a S.H.I.E.L.D. operative, though that might change in the future.
                sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Chris Evans Opens Up About Black Widow Partnership:
                  sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

According to Anthony Mackie, the Russo brothers relied on minimal use of computer-generated imagery. "The Russos, what they did that was so great was, they wanted to stay with live action, which is a dying art form," Mackie said. "If they can build it, they built it. If we could do it, we did it. They wanted to do as little CGI as possible. That's why the movie looks so great." Nevertheless, five special effects companies are involved in creating the visual effects of the film, including Industrial Light & Magic and Scanline VFX.
                    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ Kind of reminds me of the promises the computer age made about needing less paperwork in the workplace...Still waiting.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

^^^ But unlike that, the Russo's are not liars. From Falcon soaring through the air on wires, to WS ripping off car doors with his bare hands, at least 85% of the film is pure "old-school," like the 70's film era that it's based on. Here's more from the interview:

The directors, Anthony and Joe Russo, have gone on record several times, saying that they were inspired by the political thrillers of the 1970s when conceiving the look and feel of the upcoming sequel.

But not faking sequences, like Falcon's parachute jump out of a plane, put Mackie in more situations where he could potentially get embarrassed. One such occasion found the actor wiggling a little too much for the slow motion camera that was fixed on him.

"The worst experience, they put me up 100 feet in the air and are like 'Okay, you're in a parachute and you jumped out of a plane.' So I'm like, okay, I've jumped out of a plane a few times, so I know when I'm freefalling, I wiggle," he said. "Literally, they put you in slow motion, and you're just wiggling all the way down. Then they're like, 'Don't wiggle.' It's very hard to do real stuff in slow motion and not look weird."

And while a soldier that flies around with bird-like wings might not seem like the most realistic addition to the Captain America universe, Mackie said that the more modern interpretation of the character speaks to how important Falcon has become to Marvel.

"The thing about the Falcon is, he has three different incarnations throughout the course of his comic book life, and we went more with the latter of his story lines than the earlier stuff," he said. "I think Marvel kept introducing him because they realized the value of an African America superhero, and they wanted to get it right. He's more of tactical expert than a birdman from Harlem."

If Mackie plays his cards right and hits the right notes with fans when "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" hits screens in April, he might just find himself with an invite to the big game, something he would have no problem accepting. "When all of the Marvel people come by, tell them that I should be in 'Avengers.' Make it happen," Mackie said. "Get rid of Iron Man. Put me in there."
                        sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

Cool. I just think it's a mistake to keep him in a SWAT-like tonality. There is zero hero-effect there. He plays like your standard token co-star that blends in and out of the shadows. Nothing allows him to stand out. Marvel heroes have become very vanilla. This is making me lean towards DC in hopes they will embrace their heritage and not be ashamed of it like Marvel seems to be.

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Doesn't anyone see the idiocy of this "old-school" talk?

Old-School is now the same techniques productions have been using since the Matrix through Dark Knight Rises?

What, we're supposed to be awed he's not fully CGI?

How about it's because they didn't have the budget for it.

I'm sooo tired of the Marvel rah-rah marketing spin. Fanboys love to be patronized and placated, when it's all lies.

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by hedrap
                              Doesn't anyone see the idiocy of this "old-school" talk?

Old-School is now the same techniques productions have been using since the Matrix through Dark Knight Rises?

What, we're supposed to be awed he's not fully CGI?

How about it's because they didn't have the budget for it.

I'm sooo tired of the Marvel rah-rah marketing spin. Fanboys love to be patronized and placated, when it's all lies.
                              Well said. When you have to start spinning the production values (or lack thereof) in a movie, that doesn't exactly convey confidence in your project.

Comment

• ctc
                                Fear the monkeybat!
                                • Aug 16, 2001

>What, we're supposed to be awed he's not fully CGI?

Entertainment is all about novelty.... and "novel" is something you haven't seen long enough to start forgetting. Hence the push for more "traditional" effects I suspect. (I've seen references like this for a few films lately.)

>Fanboys love to be patronized and placated, when it's all lies

But that's what the entertainment industry is based on; especially the big budget stuff. That's why we keep seeing the same names, characters, and properties over and over.

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎