X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Diana Prince: Wonder Woman

I'm not sure why I'm surprised that they are reprinting this run. I guess at the time it was a pretty radical experiment that was pretty far ahead of it's time and ultimately deemed a "failure" since she reverted pretty soon afterwards.

I guess all things eventually catch up and many look at that experiment with fondness given the Emma Peel nostalgia it must evoke. Plus you have I-Ching playing a role recently in the DCU.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Cool! I've always liked that look to Diana Prince! Definitely be picking up this one! (The Emma Peel vibe is a plus for me!)

Not sure I'd call it "a 'failure' [that] reverted pretty soon afterwards"... The "New" Wonder Woman was in existance fo 25 bi-monthly issues...that's 4 years. Bi-monthly status aside, that's a lot longer run than many of today's modern "status quo changing" story arcs.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• kingdom warrior
      OH JES!!
      • Jul 21, 2005

I got into collecting those issues a few years back...The artwork alone was worth collecting it..Think I'll pick that up....

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by The Toyroom
        Cool! I've always liked that look to Diana Prince! Definitely be picking up this one! (The Emma Peel vibe is a plus for me!)

Not sure I'd call it "a 'failure' [that] reverted pretty soon afterwards"... The "New" Wonder Woman was in existance fo 25 bi-monthly issues...that's 4 years. Bi-monthly status aside, that's a lot longer run than many of today's modern "status quo changing" story arcs.
        4 years! I didn't realize it was bimonthly and lasted that long. I have to wonder where the timeline was for that relative to the Kathy Lee Crosby movie and the Linda Carter TV series of the seventies.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

^ Well Diana Prince had her "Wonder Woman" powers restored in #204 (Feb. '73). Cathy Lee Crosby's Wonder Woman pilot movie aired March '74. Lynda Carter's series began as a pilot movie in Nov. '75. Two specials aired in April '76 with the actual series beginning in Fall of '76.

I'm not sure on the lead time as far as production goes on the failed CLC pilot but I think the Diana Prince influences are there...1) She wears a funkier mod looking costume that is nothing like the traditional Wonder Woman costume. 2) She doesn't really have any secret identity to speak of. 3) She's powerless and is a world travelling spy of sorts for a government agency.

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

Picked this one up yesterday...the "hip" dialogue by Denny O'Neil (?!) is laughable and the romance between Wonder Woman and Steve Trevor is super-sappy. Plus, he can't seem to recognize that Diana Prince is Wonder Woman, even though she no longer wears glasses as DP.

The artwork by Mike Sekowsky is interesting...vast improvement over his earlier Justice League stuff with the stocky figures. I'm thinking that some of it was enhanced by having Dick Giordano as an inker. Giordano always had a knack with pretty "chicks"!
            The '60s vibe is cool but definitely dated!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎