X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ozcollector1992
    Longtime Oz Collector
    • Oct 13, 2006

End of Young Justice *Spoilers*

Ok First to start of WHAT IS CARTOON NETWORK THINKING?
    The new teen titans show looks terrible compared to Young Justice buttttt..... I really didn't like how they ended
    The good:
    -I liked how Bart became Kid Flash
    -Finally the whole team working together again
    The bad:
    - Death of Wally.....really felt kind of rushed
    - Artemis is Tigress now?
    - What happened to Secret?
    - Tim and Cass together? Um no where is Cass and Kon

I feel like this show was moving towards the new 52 teen titans and i am a huge fan of the old YJ comics so this really upset me.

Comments??
    Your powers on Earth may seem extraordinary, Kal-El, but we are not gods. - Jor-El (Smallville Season 5)
  • ozcollector1992
    Longtime Oz Collector
    • Oct 13, 2006

Ok after rewatching I don't think Wally is dead. Just in another dimension like from the JLU show
    Your powers on Earth may seem extraordinary, Kal-El, but we are not gods. - Jor-El (Smallville Season 5)

Comment

• VintageMike
      Permanent Member
      • Dec 16, 2004

The way this ep was written made me wonder if the writers did not know there would not be a third season at the time.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

It definitely felt like a set up for season 3. I'm not sure I was interested in any more stories with The Light, or Vandal Savage. I feel like the show really got too wrapped up in it's own inertia. I think the writers would have been better served to have broken up some of the conspiracy time with some stand-alone stories NOT connected to the never-ending arc. But, they have said the show was about "secrets and lies", and if that was what they were shooting for, they stayed the course for two whole seasons.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• ozcollector1992
          Longtime Oz Collector
          • Oct 13, 2006

I deff think they were prepping for another season as well.. the Darkseid setup can allow the return of Secret like in the comics and Wally's "death" reminds me of an old JLU episode where Wally was "killed" but actually sent to another dimmension

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

What I hated was the bit with CN doing the whole "new episodes next week of Young Justice and Green Lantern."

Comment

• bobws
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 13, 2008

So guys, was that the last episodes of each?
              "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Yes, they are finished. Just goes to show CN has no idea what it's doing, running teasers for "new" episodes next week.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• ozcollector1992
                  Longtime Oz Collector
                  • Oct 13, 2006

This clip his from the episode divided we fall. Flash unlocks his speed force showing how fast he really is. This clip is amazing.

If you think Wally is dead watch this

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

so GL is done too?
                    i just was gettin caught up o my DVR today. if that was the last episode for each they were good episodes. I thought YJ was well done throughout and the finale was well written,. definately was set up for the next season and story arch with Darkseid

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Yep. Both were cancelled...or really not picked up for a third season.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Finally had a chance to watch this.

Something certainly happened in production. They wrapped up everything with the reach in very hack/slash time compression, which is really unusual for the normal pace of this show.

That abbreviation makes me believe they were told to wrap up hanging threads unless we don't get picked up. So they buttoned Invasion, but left a backdoor with Wally and Darkseid.

The story about "low toy sales" is BS. Everything points to 52 brand continuity. If you lay it out, its either 52-based or some wild aberration like Batman '66, anime kid Titans, or Smalvillesque Arrow and the proposed Paradise Island. Anything lived in that middle ground has been excised.

On one hand, me and my kid loved YJ because it had a unique tone for a cartoon. On the other hand, I don't know if I would have liked a Darkseid storyline without Superman or the core Justice League. I mean, if the Young Adult Titans can take down Apokolips, then what's the point of the core players?

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

My buddy Rob's take:

I just watched the series finale for Young Justice today, and I have to say it ended like it began- with a resounding thud! I found the very first episode of this series clunky and a little dull, and this finale was pretty much the same- it was supposed to be cool and epic, but

He was a lot more on board than I was. I didn't think it was a bad show; but like a lot of the DC stuff it felt like it was trying too hard to be "serious," and came across as kinda bland. I'm not excited about the new Titans at all. It seems kind of a shame to go right from one end of the spectrum to the other, within a year.... although I guess they kinda did this with the last Titans cartoon and YJ.

Don C.

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

I don't doubt that maintaining New 52 brand continuity had some influence on the expiration of the Young Justice and Green Lantern shows, but to totally dismiss, Bruce Timm's rather candid comment that the lack of toy sales doomed the show, he was speaking to Green Lantern's cancelation when he made the statement, as crap is, well, crap.

All shows for commercial TV are platforms for sales, and since the 1980s with the success of He-Man, GI Joe, Transformers and so on, cartoons have been geared to sell not only products in general but also program-specific licensed merchandise, much of which falls into the toy category.

The Green Lantern cartoon was just about DOA because the Green Lantern film did not generate enough interest at the box office to drive the sales on Green Lantern merchandise. The money had already been spent to develop the 26 episodes that aired, but with no sequel coming and the GL merchandise collecting dust, there was no reason to continue from a business standpoint. Fans of the show, me included, are lucky the show had been in development for so long prior to the GL film's flop or the plug might have bee pulled more quickly. Maybe Timm and posters referring to his comment should have used the term licensed merchandise in lieu of toys or just action figures. Whatever, the point's the same.

Similarly, the Young Justice property didn't make the cash registers ring with its licensed merchandise either. When Wal-Mart passes on a toy line or barely supports it, there's no reason to continue, unless, Cartoon Network had itself championed the shows and asked for more episodes. If Cartoon Network had wanted to buy more for whatever reason, I'm sure Warner would have continued no matter what DC had going on in the comics. Evidently, that was not the case.

Batman is seemingly evergreen, so there's another Batman cartoon. Manga/anime Titans worked once and the Cartoon Network is willing to try it again, but from the little I've seen, it's not related to the New 52 version of the Titans, but a throwback to the previous Titans cartoon, which took it's cues from the Wolfman and Perez version of the 1980s. So, while I'm sure Warners would like to develop some synergy between its comics and cartoons for branding purposes, it's not the foremost thought.
                            Last edited by madmarva; Mar 24, '13, 7:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎