Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Superior Spider-Man...five issues in and surprisingly good.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Superior Spider-Man...five issues in and surprisingly good.

Okay...I was wrong. Boy, was I wrong.

When ASM 700 came and went, I thought to myself, this has to be one of the stupidest ideas ever...Doc Ock as Spider-Man?

Well, five issues in, SSM has been one of the best Spidey stories I've read in years. They've made it pretty clear that Peter is coming back at some point, so you can just go along for the ride, and it's been a great ride so far, and here's the real kicker... Doc Ock really IS a better Spider-Man than Peter was.

Whereas Peter tended to let his emotions rule him, Doc Ock uses his brains, and is therefore a much more efficient crimefighter. Instead of wasting time swinging around the city for hours patrolling, hoping to find some action, Ock employs hundreds of sentry spider-bots which patrol the entire city in less than half the time, and he misses nothing.

Spider-Man has gained new favor with the public, and even won over old J.J.J. which is something I NEVER thought I'd see. Ock has grown as a person because he's got Peter's memories and motivations, and Peter, whose consciousness is along for the ride, is finding that he has a lot to learn from Ock's methods.

There's also some real tension between some of the supporting cast who suspect there is something peculiar going on with the sudden change in Spidey/Peter's behavior, and his relationship with Mary Jane has taken an interesting turn. If you're a Spidey fan, I highly recommend SSM...it's not the Spidey you know, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

It's a good idea. Kind of a twisted Freaky Friday. Plots like this were used all the time in the 60s and 70s in single issue stories, but Marvel's stretching it out, making it an event and branding it. Sure it's as much marketing as story, but it's an entertaining storyline that's been a good read to me.

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

It's the only Marvel book I have bought in years. I enjoy it too.

Comment

• Timothy2251
        Jerks beef with Ten Bears
        • Mar 15, 2008

Gotta admit, this storyline brought me back into reading Marvel again. Nicely done, and yeah, Ock's doing a great job as Spidey (if he wasn't such an arrogant SOB to the supporting cast, which you just KNOW is going to blow up if/when Peter resumes control) to the point that I'm going to miss it when the status quo is restored eventually.
        "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• VintageMike
          Permanent Member
          • Dec 16, 2004

The highlight for me was in a recent issue of Avenging, he gave Wolverine a beatdown. He noted something like "Hmm. he always annoyed Parker" or something to that effect and it proves what I've been saying for years: Spidey is much more powerful than he's given credit for due Peter basically holding back most of the time.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎