• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Green Lantern creative teams announced

From MTV Geek
    It's a new era for Green Lantern: DC Comics has just officially announced the new creative teams for all their GL titles:

Green Lantern
    The team of Robert Venditti and Billy Tan will pick from where Geoff Johns and Doug Mahnke left off on the GL flagship title.

Green Lantern Corps
    Joshua Hale Fialkov and Bernard Chang are the new helmers on this comic.

Green Lantern: New Guardians
    Up-and-coming writer Justin Jordan joins Brad Walker on this GL spinoff series.

Red Lanterns
    Fialkov is seemingly all the rage, picking up this title as well as GLC duties; Alessandro Vitti provides art.

Larfleeze
    Everybody's favorite greedy Lantern gets the Keith Giffen treatment, with Scott Kolins
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

I'll pass on all of these. None of these creative teams sparks my interest. I expect the majority of these books to get the axe within the next year or so.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

Setting up those teams are like setting fire to your home to collect insurance money. This is a guaranteed fail. Not one person on that list is of any significance. They should have tuned the GL universe over to Dan Jurgens and see what magic he could create.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

I'm not familiar enough with the work of these creators to have an informed reaction.

Billy Tan's art is pretty good and I read a couple of issues of I Vampire that Fialkov wrote and Chang is a name I recognize, but the rest I've never heard of, well, other than Giffen.

I could see GL and possibly GL Corps lasting, but that's it.

Yeah, Jurgens would have been my pick for Hal's book of the people regularly working at DC.

The last 10 years have been good to GL, but dating back to the golden age, the character kinda goes well for 9 or 10 years then cools off for awhile and then gets re-jiggered a bit and gains a little popularity again. I think we're in for another cooling period.

DC's talent pool seems so shallow right now.

I did like the JLA-Aquaman crossover, which was really more of an Aquaman story guest-starring the JL.
        The new JLA title also had a nice start.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Other than Giffen and Kolins, I really don't know any of these folks. But I've been out of the loop for 5 years now.

Still, you think DC would give GL their top creators, given how important it has been to the company since Johns did Rebirth.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
            The Packaging King
            • Dec 31, 2004

I can't believe they gave the "green light" to a Larfleeze book when they are already four other GL related titles. But then again, their track record with adding new titles to the New 52 has been spotty so I suppose they'd rather add something familiar rather than try their hand at another fringe title like "G.I. Combat" or "Sword and Sorcery" that won't last past half a year.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Wish Giffen would have gotten the main book, would love to see a different take on the whole thing after soo long with the Skittles Corps.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

DC has used Giffen as kind of their pitch in and fix it guy with the new 52. So he might end up getting the lead book at some point.

I think with the flop of the GL movie, DC wants Johns on more marketable brands like Justice League books. He might have another year of Aquaman in him.

Morrison's said he's done with superhero stuff that's not already on his plate. Snyder and Lemire are busy and really kind of dark or weird for Green Lantern. It seems Gail Simone is transitioning away from DC, so who else does DC have of any note doing books for them? I know I'm probably forgetting someone.

DC has become so editorially driven that having strong writers driving the books has gone out of fashion, at least from the outside looking in. Johns calls his shots but after him, Snyder, who's popular and talented but still a newcomer is DC's next name writer.

As for Lar Fleeze, I think basically DC is approaching every new series as a 6-issue trial run. If it gains traction, it continues. If not, it becomes a miniseries and something new is thrown against the wall.

I consider myself a big GL fan, and I really enjoy Johns' work and additions to the GL mythos, but at best Lar Fleeze is a fun guest star. Giving the character a title would have been like Mort Weisinger giving Mr. mxyzptlk a title in the early 60s. I guess Bizzaro had a backup spot in Adventure for a while, but not a whole title.

DC's expansion of the GL franchise in the 1990s became overkill and eventually led the powers that were to go down the Paralax route and destroy the Corps and Jordan for a decade. Could this cycle make Paralax the Phoenix of the DCU?

I hope not.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                  The Packaging King
                  • Dec 31, 2004

I haven't cared for Giffen in quite some time...the magic has been lost...

I would have preferred Dan Jurgens getting the main book as writer/penciller. Maybe with Jerry Ordway on inks...

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

While I didn't like Jordan becoming Paralax, Jurgens handled the character well in zero hour. While he's never been a super star, Jurgens did fine work on Superman, Thor, Captain America and I always liked his baby Booster Gold.

I'd be happy with him working on just about any key character.

Supposedly Venditti's doing nice stuff with XO man of War. I've never read the character, so who knows, bit I would have like to have seen a well know , prove creator on Hal's book. But maybe this guy really loves the GL characters and will do a nice job. I do think we had seen the best of Johns and am hopeful the new writer will pick things up.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Jurgens to me is too vanilla. His work on Booster an the JL after Giffen left was pretty bland.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I've never been a big Giffen fan. I enjoyed JL/JLU for what it was, but beyond that, he's never impressed me much as a writer. I liked his art back in the 80s for he went to that weirdo squatty style.

He's one of the few guys at DC who has managed to hang in there all these years. I give him credit for that.

Jurgens is vastly underrated. He actually knows how to draw, write and tell a concise story. A lost art to many modern creators.

Jerry Ordway is VASTLY under-utilized these days. He's one of the greats, IMHO.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

See, I like Ordway, he has a style, Jurgens...just blah. Same goes for Garcia Lopez to me. Just to plain and cookie cutter looking.

Comment

• madmarva
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jul 7, 2007

Ordway' excellent as penciler, inker and writer. I can't think of anything he's done that I've seen that I didn't enjoy.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                              The Packaging King
                              • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                              Jurgens to me is too vanilla. His work on Booster an the JL after Giffen left was pretty bland.
                              I didn't read Jurgen' run on JLI but his "Booster Gold" was DC's best book at the time. When Giffen and DeMatteis took over I bailed. It was bad.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎