The Mego Museum needs your help!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legends of the Super Heroes (1979) - anyone buy it?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

Legends of the Super Heroes (1979) - anyone buy it?

http://www.amazon.com/Legends-Of-The...the+Superheroe

Anyone buy it?
    i wouldn't expect the video quality to be very good, but is it at least better than most YouTube vids?
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

i have a bootleg of it. did not see any point buying it again. while it's an interesting time capsule, it is painful to sit through

Comment

• Apositive
      Career Member
      • Apr 3, 2011

I might get it just for kicks.

I remember watching that when it was new and thinking it was great.

Funny how things change.....

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

It's a good quality picture, but without any restorations. Much better than YouTube or any bootleg I've seen. If you want this video, this is the way to get it.

Comment

• mazinz
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 2, 2007

and don't forget it has some extra footage and outtakes as a bonus
          "What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hells Angels is currently unclear,"

Starroid Raiders Dagon wrote "No Dime Store Monster left behind"

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I have a bootleg VHS of it--I can't imagine spending more for a DVD.

The chief enjoyment for me is seeing Howard Morris is Dr. Sivana & Ruth Buzzi as Aunt Minerva.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I probably should get this, but I got a decent bootleg not too long ago. Once you get past the cool factor of seeing the characters on screen, it gets to be a chore to make it through it.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

Oh yeah, it's hard to watch. Warner's had a sale around Halloween. I picked up for $10. I'm glad I got it, but there's more entertaining ways to spend a 10 spot.

Comment

• jds1911a1
                  Alan Scott is the best GL
                  • Aug 8, 2007

I am loath to admit I bought a vhs boot of this in the 80's and later had to get it again on dvd about 5 years ago (the tape literally degraded so far it was unwatchable). So having paid for it twice I can't pay for it again it's not like buying this new release will give anything other than better quality transfer (there were only the 2 specials)

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

It's pretty much a straight transfer without any noticeable clean ups on DVD. As far as content goes, it's 100% nostalgic cheese. For myself I typically classify old shows three different ways: 1) Just as good as I remember it; 2) Just as bad as I remember it; or 3) So bad I can't watch it with an audience. I classify this as number three. Every once in a blue moon, I'll throw it in, but I wouldn't dare watch in the company of my wife and kids. I can justify it for myself. But I won't dare ask that same leap of faith from anyone else. It's that ridiculous and corny. And the script is horrid. But it's our superheroes as we could essentially get them back then, so I watch, I cringe, I remember the 70's, and then I here my wife open the front door and I hit the eject button. Hey, I'm a 48 year old man with a massive collection of figures. I have to know when to spare my family the pain of explaining what is unexplainable.
                    Last edited by MIB41; Nov 12, '12, 1:09 PM.

Comment

• Apositive
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 3, 2011

I watched a few minutes on YouTube....it's bad but when they introduce Hawkman and he screeches....that part is actually cool.

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

yea, I'll have to get one on order then...I have a poor bootleg of it from years ago, and there are times where the vhs tape must have been chewed up or the player was just really bad because it squiggles and the audio sounds funny sometimes.
                        It's total cheese factor - Adam West isn't even wearing his cowl correctly (its not under his cape).
                        But, boy howdy - when I was a kid seeing LIVE versions of Flash, Grundy, etc....I was amazed and loved it, despite probably only seeing it once.

Comment

• MIB41
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Sep 25, 2005

^^^ You'll notice too Adam has very poorly altered the eye brows on the cowl. Uh! They look terrible. And the funny part is he is oblivious to it. Poor Burt is starting to grow his gut too. Notice too how they use a stunt man for Robin in the introductions. I don't think there was any belief this would be anything other than disposable entertainment that would soon fade away. And they were right!

Comment

• silveralex
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 22, 2012

I had taped these 2 specials on a VHS tape when they first aired. And I must have seen them both a hundred times, I must have the damn thigns memorized ( there is consequently little left of my mind )

No idea where those tapes are, but I got a video file of it a couple of years back - though I have't dared watch it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

I've said this here before, but for years these were very, VERY dim memories, and no one but me seemed to remember them. I think the first time I saw them acknowledged was in a Hero magazine (Wizard rip-off) in the mid-90s. Finally, my insane memories were justified. It did exist!

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎