Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday Funnies- Newspaper Comics no longer in color?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnnystorm
    Hot Child in the City
    • Jul 3, 2008

Sunday Funnies- Newspaper Comics no longer in color?

I don't usually purchase the Sunday paper , it's actually been awhile. but with the storm & all I picked up a copy of our local paper. and low & behold, I open the color Sunday Funnies section and find that the interior comics are now printed in this horrible gray tone scale, and only the outer page is color!

How long has this been going on?

Now granted, I lost interest in most of these strips sometime ago, around the time it basically became a collection of Doonesbury & Far Side rip offs. Calvin & Hobbes was probably the last really creative strip and that's been gone a long time now. Prince Valiant is the only adventure strip in our paper any more. I still enjoy Blondie, but the likes of Dilbert, Foxtrot, & Sally Forth turn me off.

But seeing this really bothers me. I can imagine it's only a matter of time until the comic section is gone forever, for that matter the whole paper as well.

Anyone else have this in their area?
  • ShadowAvenger
    Career Member
    • May 14, 2007

The Wichita Eagle in Kansas still has their Sunday Comics in full color. This week it was filled mostly with Halloween-theme cartoons.
    Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

Color here on Sunday.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Still colour here; and I don't think the newspaper strip is going away. As a matter of fact.... weirdly enough.... I think thanks to the internets it's another old medium seeing a renaissance, seeing as it's the format adopted by so many online comics. What surprises me is that the papers aren't snapping them up right from the creators; it's all digital, and an easy port. Maybe the old syndicates have something to do with this?

Don C.

Comment

• Figuremod73
          That 80's guy
          • Jul 27, 2011

The newspaper funnies have been hurting for awhile. I agree Calvin and Hobbes is probably the last really good comic strip. I've always hoped that there would be a resurgance in them or start doing reprints. (I think there are some that do that)

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎