• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Operation:Mego
    I'm the Star Spangled Man
    • May 21, 2011

Stephen Amell and Katie Cassidy on Bigger Season 2 - "It's a New Series!"

sigpic
    The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Finally FINALLY got caught up on Arrow last night, and watched the season finale. Ironic that I started this thread, and was one of the last folks to see it.

WOW. What a season ender.

Before I get into spoilers, I have to say how much I've enjoyed and appreciate this series. I didn't expect much out of it. But it is very well-acted, smartly written, and produced in a way that makes it look like every episode has a $100 budget. I have yet to see anything on the show that took me out of the moment and said "TV budget". I can't say the same for Smallville.

Speaking of Smallville...I loved Smallville. I defended it to the hilt here. But I think Arrow is a better show all around. Yes, I said it. Smallville had a great cast, and good writing, but Arrow just seems to take things more seriously. If something changes in an episode, that change STICKS. No back-pedaling to restore the status quo with some knowing glances between leads. This show went full bore all season long and held nothing back, with revelations and changes coming surprisingly, but also organically. Just look at the finale. MAJOR repercussions for the characters next season. I don't even know if some of the surviving characters will be regulars or not!

I have to say Stephen Amell does a fantastic job contrasting the Ollie we see in the present with the Ollie we see on the island. The two are slowly becoming more alike, as the "current" Ollie softens up a bit from his initial obsessive crusade mode, and "island" Ollie heads down that path. Heck, the whole flashback to the island essentially gives you two series that are tied together. Great concept, and very well executed.

Now onto SPOILERS

They killed Tommy! As we watched the episodes leading to the finale, I kept telling my wife (who is also hooked), "Tommy is going to be Ollie's Lex Luthor". I just really felt that was where they were going. And then in the teaser for the finale, they show Tommy looking very grim and obsessed, and cut to his father's archery gear, which made me think they were also going to throw a bit of Harry Osborn in there as well. But these writers are too good for that. They pull one out of left field and let Tommy die the hero. Awesome.

I can't wait for season 2 to start!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

^^ Greatly worded, I agree with everything.

Also, exceutive producer Andrew Kreisberg hints that Amanda Waller will appear in season 2.
        sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

It bears repeating: WOW! WOW! WOW!!! I finally had some free time to catch up on the last four episodes of ARROW and it did NOT disappoint!!! Finally, a show that is willing to follow through with a major threat in a season finale!!! I was not expecting them to actually BLEEP the BLEEPing BLEEPs---but man, it was cool that they actually had the gonads to do it! The season finale was totally riveting and I could easily see Amell's Arrow in the same cinematic universe occupied by the new incarnation of Superman and by whatever new Batman they throw at us. I actually think Amell's Arrow could likely fight The Batman to at least a draw. Color me impressed and now really anxious for Season Two!!!!
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
            It bears repeating: WOW! WOW! WOW!!! I finally had some free time to catch up on the last four episodes of ARROW and it did NOT disappoint!!! Finally, a show that is willing to follow through with a major threat in a season finale!!! I was not expecting them to actually BLEEP the BLEEPing BLEEPs---but man, it was cool that they actually had the gonads to do it! The season finale was totally riveting and I could easily see Amell's Arrow in the same cinematic universe occupied by the new incarnation of Superman and by whatever new Batman they throw at us. I actually think Amell's Arrow could likely fight The Batman to at least a draw. Color me impressed and now really anxious for Season Two!!!!
            I don't see the need for Batman at all. Especially since the Nolan series just ended, Bale might be the definitive Batman to a lot of people, so it would be best to leave him out completely rather than re-cast him. Have Amell join the League as Arrow in Batman's place. Might **** off some hard-core nerds, but general audiences would probably be fine with it. Besides, this version of Arrow is even cooler than Batman in a lot of ways. At least, that’s what I would want to happen anyway.
            sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 20, 2011

I don't know if he could replace THE Batman (as in the more comic-booky, detectivey Batman), but he would certainly be a great addition to any Justice League movie.

In a throwdown, O:M, who do your think would win: Steven Amell's Arrow or Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye? I'm afraid I'd have to put my money on Amell...
              sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                I don't know if he could replace THE Batman (as in the more comic-booky, detectivey Batman), but he would certainly be a great addition to any Justice League movie.

In a throwdown, O:M, who do your think would win: Steven Amell's Arrow or Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye? I'm afraid I'd have to put my money on Amell...
                As of right now, Arrow would cream Hawkeye. Of course if Hawkeye gets more screentime in future movies, then it would be harder to say. But for now, Arrow for sure.
                sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 20, 2011

Amell's Ollie IS a total badass, ain't be? Diggle ain't too shabby either!

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Agreed, they both kick tons of ***!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I think Diggle would make a GREAT John Stewart Green Lantern if a JLA movie were to pass over Hal Jordan. Hey, Chris Evans played Johnny Storm AND Cap, so why not?

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

^^^ Funnily enough, I was re-watching Dexter episodes and realized he was Quinn's PI and Debra's love interest. I forgot that was him, so that was a cool surprise.
                        sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Season 2 episode titles:

1. "City of Heroes"
                          2. "Identity"
                          3. "Broken Dolls"
                          4. "Crucible"
                          5. "League of Assassins"
                          6. "Keep Your Enemies Closer"
                          7. "State v. Queen"

Many Season 1 writers/directors have returned for Season 2. John Behring, who directed one of my favorite episodes The Odyssey, will direct the Season 2 premiere.
                          Last edited by Operation:Mego; Sep 20, '13, 11:39 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Interesting. Looking back I can see moments like those. That's a pretty cool inspiration, especially since both characters are so bad-***.
                            sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Cynthia Addai-Robinson was cast as Amanda Waller.
                              sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Here's the season 2 trailer for those who haven't seen it yet:
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎