Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmarva
    Talkative Member
    • Jul 7, 2007

Nolan-Snyder-JLA project is a rumor, but despite the valid arguments of it messing with the continuity of Nolan's Batverse, I hope the rumor proves to be true because it might be the only way a JLA movie gets made.

As Operation: Mego points out, there doesn't have to be a link DKR in the JLA film, Bale can just be Batman and if people make the link, which of course they will, it's fine. If the movie strains to explain how Bruce re-established his fortune or became Batman again, it's just wasting time.

Personally, while I think Batman and Superman need to be a part of a JLA film, I hope the focus is on other characters. I still like the idea of the JLA forming to counter Superman and Batman going rogue or being manipulated by Max Lord (Jason Bateman) or Darkseid.

Yeah I know, silly.

Comment

• Operation:Mego
      I'm the Star Spangled Man
      • May 21, 2011

Originally posted by madmarva
      Nolan-Snyder-JLA project is a rumor, but despite the valid arguments of it messing with the continuity of Nolan's Batverse, I hope the rumor proves to be true because it might be the only way a JLA movie gets made.

As Operation: Mego points out, there doesn't have to be a link DKR in the JLA film, Bale can just be Batman and if people make the link, which of course they will, it's fine. If the movie strains to explain how Bruce re-established his fortune or became Batman again, it's just wasting time.

Personally, while I think Batman and Superman need to be a part of a JLA film, I hope the focus is on other characters. I still like the idea of the JLA forming to counter Superman and Batman going rogue or being manipulated by Max Lord (Jason Bateman) or Darkseid.

Yeah I know, silly.
      In December 2012, it was reported that Darkseid will be the main villain of the upcoming live action Justice League movie, set for release in Summer 2015. Later, it was rumored that the film's storyline will be inspired by Justice League Of America #183-185, which sees the League teaming up with the Justice Society Of America. In the story arc, Darkseid plans to destroy Earth by moving Apokolips into its place.
      sigpic
      The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by Operation:Mego
        In December 2012, it was reported that Darkseid will be the main villain of the upcoming live action Justice League movie, set for release in Summer 2015. Later, it was rumored that the film's storyline will be inspired by Justice League Of America #183-185, which sees the League teaming up with the Justice Society Of America. In the story arc, Darkseid plans to destroy Earth by moving Apokolips into its place.
        I do believe that that particular script has been scrapped by WB at this point. Supposedly they are starting from scratch...
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          I do believe that that particular script has been scrapped by WB at this point. Supposedly they are starting from scratch...
          Oh yeah, I forgot. I remember they said it was 'terrible.'
          sigpic

Comment

• Cosmicman
            Permanent Member
            • Jul 12, 2005

Nolan needs to go invent his own characters and stop messing up DC's great heroes and doing odd things with them like making Christian Bale as Batman talk like he had a frog in his throat...and what was up with that Bane? His voice reminded me of some nicey, nicey guy from a Captain Kangaroo type show talking to kids.
            Last edited by Cosmicman; Mar 5, '13, 10:27 AM.
            More custom Mego madness on Facebook right here...

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

For better or worse, it seems Nolan is about the only person in Warner's talent pool the studio is willing to trust $200-plus million with to make super hero films at the moment. He's got the Midas touch in their minds.

As much talk as there is about continuity, Batman has always been handled a bit differently in the JLA than in his own comics. i imagine the same will happen with the film, if it gets off the ground.

I'm not a big fan of Bale's growl either, and I accept Nolan's films as a version of the character, but not necessarily what I prefer in Batman. I like the Adam West series, too, but it's not the Batman I prefer.

But, some kind of Batman and some kind of JLA on the screen is better than nothing, to me. Based on Nolan's body of work, his involvement means to me there will be a high standard of quality involved, whether or not it suits my personal tastes is another question. I just hope there is truth to the rumor.

It's contrary to what was coming from his camp last summer, but things do change.
              Last edited by madmarva; Mar 7, '13, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 3, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ky8fYvDm5ks heres the man of steel trailer Lois and Clark style ,it actually not bad

Comment

• MIB41
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Sep 25, 2005

I've read there will be no glasses to disguise Clark in this film. Rather it will be some kind of illumination Superman's suit gives off that will "mesmerize" people and distort his features. This displacement of light will also have a masking impact on cameras that photograph him. Ooookay...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^I was afraid of that. The fact that there are no pictures of Cavill in glasses with the movie only a few months away makes me think this rumor may be true.

Sounds a bit like the old hokey explanation DC tried to make in the late 70s where Supes was subconsciously using Super-hypnotism to make folks think Clark Kent was shorter, frailer, and older looking.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Sep 25, 2005

Once again they are getting further and further from the source material. And the more they try to "ground" these characters with this new reality, the more they put themselves in a corner to bring other heroes into the mix. I would love to hear their explanation for Flash.

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

Simple explanations are the best. You either buy into the fantasy or you don't. There is no way to scientifically explain super-hero powers. If people are sitting there questioning the plausibility of a characters' powers, then the story being told isn't compelling enough.

Comment

• ctc
                          Fear the monkeybat!
                          • Aug 16, 2001

>You either buy into the fantasy or you don't. There is no way to scientifically explain super-hero powers.

True. I think the problem with the film (and a lot of superhero films) is that the audience is much wider, and you don't have nearly as high a percentage indoctrinated into superhero comic thinking. The glasses thing IS pretty silly, but no moreso than a guy in longjohns being able to fly and anyone who's ever read the comic (or seen an old movie/tv show/cartoon/radio play) just accepts that this is how it is. Over the past 70+ years a LOT of questions have been raised over superheroisms, and the film makers get scared a contemporary audience won't "get" it. (Hence Spidey having organic web shooters, 'cos the question's been out ther efor a while as to how a dude could invent such a powerful adhesive, with so many applications and STILL be poor....)

Ultimately I don't think the audience will care, as long as he punches something and there's a few big explosions. Superheroes are about the action, not the plot.

>I would love to hear their explanation for Flash.

I think the original comic one was pretty close to the new Superman one.... so maybe the Flash wears glasses now?

Don C.

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by ctc
                            Ultimately I don't think the audience will care, as long as he punches something and there's a few big explosions. Superheroes are about the action, not the plot.
                            I think audiences do need a little more than that. Otherwise B&R would have been a monster hit. I think the modern day hero require some plot devices and a few story particulars to keep audiences glued to the screen. Special effects are a more common part of the story telling process. So audiences require some degree of intellectual stimulation somewhere in that story. Of course we're still talking comic books, but even that material needs engaging material and interesting story structure to find mass appeal. And with budgets getting bigger and bigger, studios know there is an expectation. With superheroes I think its as much about branding as it is story structure. There is a celebrated pageantry to each of these heroes. So the further you get from that base concept, the less connected people are to that original appeal. When you pick up a can that says Coca Cola, you never ask yourself what it's going to taste like. Heroes can be like that too. There's an expectation. And when studios deviate too far, the average ticket buyer loses interest. The ingredients that made that hero interesting have been removed and thus the appeal is no longer present. I was thinking about that when I was looking at Toyroom's Avatar. From everything I've read, I KNOW I won't get THAT Superman and it's quite sad. It was a dramatic element to the story. Now it's gone.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

Clark Kent is THE secret identity. Sure Zorro and the Scarlet Pimpernell had one before him, but he is the character who forever defined the dual identity. The idea that meek Clark Kent can slip into a broom closet and turn into something more is part of the wish-fulfillment aspect of the character, as much as flight. To abandon that is to take a HUGE chunk out of the character.

If they must make it more convincing, have Lois see through the disguise right away, but only her. It would endear us to her more, and then we could move on that everyone else buys it.

I will mention again, Chris Reeve SOLD the conceit to me. I still buy it. He made it work. Maybe Cavill could too, but it doesn't look like they are going to give him a chance, maybe we're wrong. I hope so.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Honestly? The more I read, the more I'm losing interest.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎