X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

The Avengers: The Serpent Crown

In an effort to get away from all of this DCnU and Marvel NOW nonsense I'm gonna start building up my library of old-school stuff that I actually
    ENJOYED reading back in the day....First up is "The Avengers:The Serpent Crown" reprinting #141-144, 147-149 (not sure why #145-146 was a
    two-part fill-in at the time that totally interrupted the Serpent Crown saga):

This has it all...George Perez' first crack at The Avengers...The Serpent Crown...Roxxon Oil...The debut of Hellcat...Kang...Immortus...The Squadron Supreme
    (Marvel's answer to DC's JLA)...Orka the Human Killer Whale...Hawkeye and Two-Gun Kid in the Old West...Moondragon...The Beast (Oh my stars and garters!)

My only gripe is I would have used the cover to #141 (as seen on the back cover) as the artwork for the TPB...It's iconic and has always left an impression on me after I first saw it used on the old binder from Mead in the 70s...
    Last edited by The Toyroom; Aug 4, '12, 8:43 PM.
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!
  • kingdom warrior
    OH JES!!
    • Jul 21, 2005

That's what I've been doing just going back to my childhood and the comics that made me happy.....issues I missed or never read there's plenty of stuff
    from back in the day that i have yet discovered or haven't read in ages..

Perez on the Avengers is Gold......

Comment

• boynightwing
      That Carl Guy
      • Apr 24, 2002

I think that's the right direction for a lot of people. Why continue to buy new stuff that you'll ultimately hate or not enjoy when you can focus your collection dollars on the stuff you know you'll love.

Perez on the Avengers can only be a good thing right? I'll have to check it out.

Comment

• madmarva
        Talkative Member
        • Jul 7, 2007

Great choice. That's when I first started reading the Avengers. Really good stuff. Did Englehart write those? Perez's early work in those issues really shows how much he grew as an artist before matriculating to DC. I liked his work on FF at that time better, probably because of Sinnott was such a strong inker.

I'm waiting on the latest Flash Archives to arrive from Amazon.

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Yeah Perez' work is very primitive but you can see he was on his way to greatness. And yes,Steve Englehart on the scripts...

I'm thinking about getting the FF Series with Perez' run next...
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

Yep, i'm getting DC Archives and other trades of things i never read and enjoying it more.
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• nobody
              banjo!
              • Jan 26, 2012

I have many of the Avengers on disc. I'll have to read those maybe tonight to comment on this thread.

Comment

• VintageMike
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 16, 2004

Great stuff and great idea. I prefer to have the original books, it just makes the experience even better. In most cases unless there a major character introduction or death you can find decent copies of most bronze stuff at reasonable prices.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

I was at a Barnes and Noble leafing through some of the New 52 trade paperbacks. My god most of that stuff is deplorable. The things they have done to the those characters, just for shock value and a quick buck. I mean, the Joker had his face cut off. The Joker, the most vain villain ever asked for his face to be cut off?

I have been buying lots of good back issues off of Mile High Comics. Modern Super Hero comics just aren't for me, it seems.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Random Axe
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Apr 16, 2008

I think that was close to the time I got into Avengers, maybe 1982? I remember the first Avengers comic I ever read was the Taskmaster Perez cover. I also distinctly remember a Hawkeye cover with Antman on his arrow. I might have to go back and re-read these in trades as I cannot go forward with DC. I cannot stomach the changes, it's just not for me. I hope DC is successful and continues on, but they will have to do it without my purchases.
                    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Cool! I have the softcover edition.
                      Absolutely wonderful issues.
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

been doing the same thing, picking up the pb Masterworks and re-reading a lot of my archives and Hellboy.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎