X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goblin19
    Talkative Member
    • May 2, 2002

Saw Dark Knight Rises today

Got to go to the press screening today. I won't spoil anything but will say I think everyone will like it. I didn't like it as much as The Dark Knight, but would put it at about the same level as Batman Begins, maybe a little below. At the end, it got applause, which never happens at press screenings. The nearly 3 hour runtime really flew by, mostly due to all the interwining storylines.
    Last edited by Goblin19; Jul 18, '12, 2:42 PM.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Nice to hear, and thanks for the non-spoilers. I'm in fear that my internet browsing over the next few days will ruin the movie for me. I've done pretty well so far.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

Yes, avoid rumors.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

Saw it this morning.

All in all, a good epic finale to the Nolan Batman films.

Still have some issues with certain aspects of his take on the franchise, but still all three were undeniably entertaining movies.

Looking forward now to seeing how the next creative team handles Batman.

Personally I'm hoping the next cinematic reboot will be a little closer to the essence of the comics.
        Last edited by Bruce Banner; Jul 20, '12, 12:07 PM.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• madmarva
          Talkative Member
          • Jul 7, 2007

Personally I'm hoping the next cinematic reboot will be a little closer to the essence of the comics.
          While I liked the first two Nolan Batman movies a great deal, I couldn't agree with you more. Believe the same about the first four movies, too.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Saw it this morning, after hearing of the tragic news from Colorado. I'll be honest, it made me apprehensive and made it hard to enjoy the movie as much. But I had the tickets, I took the day off, and my son didn't need to know about that senseless horror from last night.

Aside from all of that, it's a great movie. And a great ending to Nolan's Bat films. I was really impressed by the fact that they didn't pull any punches, and went places I did not expect.

The theater was packed at 9:50 for an IMAX showing, and a huge line was formed for the next showing. Despite the grisliness of last night's events, people still came. Glad to see that. I know it's a cliche, but if we all stay in our houses with our doors locked, the nut jobs win.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• madmarva
              Talkative Member
              • Jul 7, 2007

I enjoyed Dark Knight Rises, but I like the other two films in the series better; however, Nolan did put a bow on his version of the Batman in exciting fashion.

My only real criticism is that for a franchise that had been hailed for providing a realistic take on Batman, the third film rides the rails like a crazy train and then flies off the track.

I can see how some ardent Batman fans who might have specific expectations of the movie could be bit disappointed, but if you just look at the three movies and throw out any other Batman context, I think the film is a bit too busy but ultimately it's fun and works well enough.

Nolan ties together a lot of themes from the first film and brings them to fruition and Gordon and Batman's deal at the end of the The Dark Knight plays a key role in the plot.

Hathaway does a great job as Catwoman and her story draws upon a lot of lore from the comics. I really could see a Catwoman film being interesting with her at the center of it, with the right script and director.

Some won't care for the character arc of Joseph Gordon-Levitt's John Blake, but I thought he was good in the role and for the Nolanverse, I like how his story plays out.

Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman are great at every point they are on the screen, and Bale continues to do an excellent job in his double role. They really inhabit their characters. Michael Cain does a nice job, but I really didn't like role Nolan and his writers gave Alfred in the film.

As for Bane, Hardy's solid and totally unrecognizable in the part. Nolan's Bane, to me, is very much a cross between Bane and the mutant gang leader in Dark Knight Returns. In fact, "Rises" takes almost as many cues from Miller's DKR as "Begins" did from Miller's Year One. No Man's Land no doubt influenced the film, too.

As far as the action and production vales and effects, it's about all you could ask for out of a blockbuster.

As for this morning's tragedy, it's just sad and like Earth 2 Chris wrote, it was difficult to be fired about the film going in and just knowing the pain and suffering so many are going through because of that maniac's actions had to have had an effect on my mood seeing the film and my thoughts about it.

Sitting in the theater prior to the movie in the dim lighting, I certainly thought about the descriptions I heard on TV and had read online. What that guy did, what he stole from the victims both living and dead and their families is beyond words. I have some qualms about the death penalty, but this guy would certainly be among those who would deserve it, in my mind.

That being said, there was no chilling effect on the attendance at theater I went to in my town. The huge parking lot was nearly packed when I arrived for the 4 O'clock show and overflowing as I left prior to the 7 p.m. showing.

The Superman teaser trailer was very disappointing. Only one scene of Superman flying and he was tini tiny on the big screen. If I had not read about its contents from last week's comic-con coverage it might have made a better impression on me, but I can't see how anyone would really be excited to see a Superman film from what little was shown. I don't think it would turn people off, though, like some were by the first Green Lantern trailer.

As for ranking the this summer's super hero movies, I liked Spider-Man and Avengers equally. Spider-Man had more heart, but what Whedon did with Avengers was a true triumph because no one had really accomplished it before. I'd put Dark Night Rises below them, but I did have greater expectations for Nolan's film than the other two.
              Last edited by madmarva; Jul 20, '12, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

I loved it and that it was great.

Comment

• Megospidey
                  Museum Webslinger
                  • Jul 26, 2006

Saw it tonight. Very good movie, not a great movie to me. Satisfying ending to the trilogy though.

Loved Bane. Loved Catwoman. Loved Caine. Loved Freeman.

I've never believed Bale as Batman. He is not the right choice at all IMO. His Batman voice soooooo gets on my nerves. I cringe every time I hear it.

Because the main character has never been right in this trio of movies, I've always left the movies feeling a bit flat.

I don't feel that way leaving a Marvel movie. Well...other than Daredevil

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Am I the only one that thought Bane sounded like Sean Connery? I know it wasn't but at times he sure sounds like it.

Comment

• Megospidey
                      Museum Webslinger
                      • Jul 26, 2006

^ Some of the people I saw it with said the same thing.

Comment

• madmarva
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jul 7, 2007

^^Now, that you mention it, I could hear a little Connery in Bane's voice, too.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

The movie beat Dark Knight's opening weekend take, despite the tragedy, and many folk's trepidation for going to the movies. Of course with ticket inflation, DK would come out on top. We'll never know if DKR could have beat Avenger's opening under normal circumstances.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Avengers must have had a bump in ticket prices because of the 3D though, no?
                            Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^True, but DKR had a good chunk filmed for IMAX, so it was a true IMAX event...

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎