Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell happened to Howie Chaykin's and Neal Adams art???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

What the hell happened to Howie Chaykin's and Neal Adams art???

Here's a preview of the Avengers 1959:

First image looks like it was drawn on actual paper....but the rest of the pages as you go down the article look like crap. It looks like he's doing his art on a computer. That's just God awful art. I was never a huge fan of Chaykin...but this new mini series looks like garbage. Same goes for the Adams art in the upcoming "First X-Men" mini series:

Then again with Adams you don't know if it is him doing the art or someone at Continuity doing the art. Can they both be that out of practice that the art is starting to tank??
  • VintageMike
    Permanent Member
    • Dec 16, 2004

At some point age has to be a factor to. Adams would have recently turned 70 and I've seen the effects of that with my own father nearing 70 himself.

Comment

• torgospizza
      Theocrat of Pan Tang
      • Aug 19, 2010

The Chaykin stuff just looks like his standard stuff, to me. But, then, I've only liked his work when it had Tom Palmer or Steve Leialoha inks over it. That's like two issues out of everything he's done.

Comment

• kingdom warrior
        OH JES!!
        • Jul 21, 2005

I don't see anything wrong with Chaykin's work it looks the same as it ever has. there is a lot of layering with the coloring of the book....but I did see uncolored pages from this book and it's still a thousand times better than most modern artist.......

Those two Adams drawings look like his typical modern style....again I find no fault in his work especially for a man in his 70's there are 20 year olds that can't draw that good if their life depended on it.....

Here is a site with Chaykins Avengers art side to side with the colored page.....looks very solid to me......also Chaykin keeps his line simple when he inks it. you won't see him feathering he hasn't done that in years......

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Adams' art was a big turn-off to me on "Batman:Odyssey"... Dropped it after issue #1
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Brazoo
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 14, 2009

I don't hate the Chaykin drawing, but I was never a huge fan. Not knocking him though, he's a seriously talented guy - it's just personal. I never followed his work much.

There's a lot of wrong going on in that Adams cover, but my bet is Adams' pencils looked A LOT more competent before it was inked.

For example, on the chick near the top lifting the robot - sorry, I don't know who that's suppose to be - no matter what Adams drew there's no reason her breasts should look like a black smeary blob of ink like that.
            Last edited by Brazoo; Jun 24, '12, 2:14 AM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Chaikin's stuff looks ok, its got life and bounce to it. Nel Adams has never ever done anything for me, and this and Batman:Odessy did look like he's really lost what talent he had. Sabretooth sure got around in the late 50's didn't he?
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Adams's art looks ok to me...but THANK GOD he's not writing it!
                sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

I think the Neal Adams cover is terrible, but not because of his art...where the hell are the costumes? We have biker guy with claws, black hoodie boy, wife-beater with furry coat man, flying soccer mom, and some lilac guy I think is Magneto?
                  Pretty sad when I can't even tell who three of the five characters on the cover are.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

I was hoping we'd seen the last of bone claw Wolverine, too.
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

I think the guy in purple might be Nitro, not Magneto.

Comment

• BlackKnight
                        The DarkSide Customizer
                        • Apr 16, 2005

I can't read or look at Adams Today.
                        But He was Never "My Batman" ...., More so Aparo and BreyFrogle.
                        I do appreciate the "Look" Adams Gave Green Arrow.
                        Which ...., Now DC Took Away in the New 52. :sigh:
                        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

I agree that age has to come into play at some point in an artist's career; fingers get stiffer, eyesight starts to get wonky, the back won't take the hours it used to hunched over a drawing board. I, too, have never been a huge fan of Chaykin's stuff, but I will agree that the stuff they had posted looked pretty crappy. As for the Adams' stuff, that's just his new style---similiar to Adams' classic, but it's like he decided that he should throw a little Jim Lee in with his style as well. Not bad (and far better than a lot of stuff getting published today), but definitely not on par with his earlier stuff...
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎