X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

The other new Ozymandias series

I believe we were just talking about Peter cannon thunderbolt in another thread. The Charlton character who's rights reverted to his creator IIRC. Which is why he was barely glimpsed in Crisis on Infinite Earths?

Notably Dave Goibbons is doing one of the variant covers, something I do not think he is doing on Before Watchmen.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 21, '12, 2:35 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Morisi bought Peter Cannon back from Charlton before DC bought the rest of the action heroes. He then licensed the character to DC in the mid-80s for Crisis, Who's Who, and the aborted Charlton weekly (which he was going to write and draw, in addition to a completed Secret Origins tale). Then DC came knocking again in the early 90s for a short-lived ongoing. He's been gone from the DCU ever since.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• samurainoir
      Eloquent Member
      • Dec 26, 2006

Looks like Perez says it's because he didn't have reference for the character (and assumed he was a speedster?!)

Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 21, '12, 3:00 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

terrible new design.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
          The Packaging King
          • Dec 31, 2004

Typical Alex Ross work for Dynamite...I believe he is co-scripting/plotting as well
          Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Ruffles has ridges...and so does Thunderbolt.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• johnnystorm
              Hot Child in the City
              • Jul 3, 2008

I'll probably pick this up...I think I saw a PAM variant cover somewhere, I'll try & get that one. Isn't Peter Cannon the guy with the slogan "I can do it...I must do it...I WILL DO IT!"? I have the original Charlton books somewhere, but it's been a long while since I've read them.

Don't like the redesign though, what the heck is with all these lines on heroes' costumes. granted, the little sport socks were outdated, but the belt was cool offsetting the blue/red scheme.

Alex Ross' work is getting so derivative of itself, and I'm really getting tired of it. Never thought I'd say that, but he's done himself to death that it's no longer special to see his art.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

I didn't realize Peter Cannon was originally a reformated Daredevil revival... Although it makes sense given the costume.

Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 21, '12, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

the costume color scheme is the only thing borrowed from DD.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• The Toyroom
                    The Packaging King
                    • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                    Supposedly PAM wanted to revive Biro's Daredevil at Charlton but when Biro wanted a larger share of the profits PAM just created Thunderbolt instead....

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                      OH JES!!
                      • Jul 21, 2005

What do the interiors look like? Dynamite seems to always disappoint....would it kill Ross just to do pencils or breakdowns in a book? or is that just impossible for him......

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        My understanding is that the art for that first drawn Daredevil story for Charlton was redrawn as the "new" character of Peter Cannon Thunderbolt.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

that's all well and good, but the two characters really have nothing(outside of dead parents) origin or ability wise in common. Daredevil was a boomerang wielding mute vigilante seeking to avenge the murders of his parents and T-Bolt was raised in a Tibeten Lamesary following his parents' deaths learning mystic Eastern ways and returned to the states to wage war on crime. Actually he sounds more like the Shadow than Daredevil.

Comment

• The Toyroom
                            The Packaging King
                            • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by kingdom warrior
                            What do the interiors look like? Dynamite seems to always disappoint....would it kill Ross just to do pencils or breakdowns in a book? or is that just impossible for him......
                            I know...I was really wanted to be onboard with Project Superpowers but the interiors frustrated me. Very disappointing.

When was the last time Ross did all of the artwork on a book? Was it during the Kingdom Come, Uncle Sam era? Even on Justice he had Doug Braithwaite do the artwork...

Comment

• kingdom warrior
                              OH JES!!
                              • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                              I know...I was really wanted to be onboard with Project Superpowers but the interiors frustrated me. Very disappointing.

When was the last time Ross did all of the artwork on a book? Was it during the Kingdom Come, Uncle Sam era? Even on Justice he had Doug Braithwaite do the artwork...
                              Didn't he do a Superman story where he did the art inked it with acrylic and it was computer colorized? It was when the Kingdom come Superman had entered the DC universe.....

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎