• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ctc
    Fear the monkeybat!
    • Aug 16, 2001

Dredd film

Na na nana na na nana BAT-DREDD!!!!!:

Looks really.... typical. The city looks like "I, Robot." *shudder* The Judges look like generic movie Marines. Dredd sounds like Batman from the last film (Who sounds a lot like the dude from "Warriors of the Lost World." Never noticed that before....) The bikes are blah, the action generic.... and he's LOOKING FOR A DRUG DEALER?!?!? Really?!?!? And the asshat who made the film claims to be a fan of the comic?

Well.... they ALL do, but holee smokes; have they missed the point. Dredd was always overtly violent satire.... small things blown out of proportion. That's what made it unique. You can see how that was sucked out of the design aesthetic, but having a routine drug dealer clinches it. In the comic Dredd cracked down on comic book pushers, sugar addicts, and a candy so good it was addictive. (The last one leading to city wide riots and a mob war.) Not only is it a routine drug he's after, but I bet it's actually a COMBAT drug.... 'cos it's ALWAYS a combat drug.

*sigh*

I dunno.... I suspect it'd be a perfectly passable, mediocre action film sans Dredd. It does seem like a shame though; all the good stuff they're passing over.

....and hey, 3D. 'Cos.... er....

Don C.
  • clemso
    Talkative Member
    • Aug 8, 2001

They shouldn't have studied Blade Runner to see how its done.

Comment

• babycyclops
      Career Member
      • Jul 9, 2010

I think Robocop captured some of the sensibility of Judge Dredd, humor and violence wise. Capturing that tone would not be easy to do, and it seems that the filmmakers haven't even tried to.
      Seems they've tried to make the movie without showing the massive apparatus the justice department has in the comics by just pitting two Judges against a hostile Citiblock.

Stories like "The Judge Child Quest' or 'The Apocalypse War' would make awesome films, in the right hands.

Comment

• ctc
        Fear the monkeybat!
        • Aug 16, 2001

>I think Robocop captured some of the sensibility of Judge Dredd,

Very much so.

>Capturing that tone would not be easy to do, and it seems that the filmmakers haven't even tried to.

I don't think it'd be THAT hard, especially since you've got 30 years of comic to sift through. I think the producers are kinda spooked and want to play it safe. Hence why so much of it seems familiar.

>Seems they've tried to make the movie without showing the massive apparatus the justice department has in the comics by just pitting two Judges against a hostile Citiblock.

Yeah.... but those two judges are Anderson and Dredd! Dredd's taken down entire blocks before. One of the things that made to comic so great was that the writers never even pretended Dredd could lose. The story was about the bad guys, and how insane Dredd's victory was gonna be. Which I can see scaring the suits too; since it SEEMS different from the formula.... although it isn't, since every action film after "Commando" features a cartoonishly successful hero. They just don't portray them as such in the film.

>Stories like "The Judge Child Quest' or 'The Apocalypse War' would make awesome films, in the right hands.

Maybe, but that's a LOT of story. They could go with "Block Mania," and if it was a hit lead into "The Apocalypse War" as parts two and three of an ad-hoc trilogy. "The Cursed Earth" would be neat too. They could even play up the "Jurassic Park ripped us off" angle for some press.

Don C.

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

I liked the Stalone Movie .
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

I think filmmakers honestly don't understand the Judge Dredd character. I agree that Robocop is about as close to that interpretation as your going to get. Like Robocop, Dredd is a sci/fi character buried in social satire. Filmmakers spend too much time overstating his look and expression. Both Stallone and Urban walk around with this forced grimace on their face and make stoic commentary devoid of the satire intended. In many ways, this one looks just like the Stallone one minus the John Schneider comic relief. And with Urban throwing out a Bale/Batman whisper in his voice, he may yet make the Stallone dialect seem more acceptable. And that's scary.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎