• Show
Clear All
  • Random Axe
    The Voice of Reason
    • Apr 16, 2008

Finally saw Avengers

Just got back from the theater.

WOW.

Joss Whedon freakin nailed it. He could not have done a better job with all of the elements thrown in there. Plus he was instrumental in the script and screenplay, so this was pretty much his baby. This combined the spirit of the bronze/silver age Avengers with the Ultimate universe and made for a visual spectacle that may not be matched. A few thoughts:

Ruffalo brought a tense edge to the role that was always missing. He was totally believable as a super genius trying at all times to control his rage inside.

Hawkeye/Barton proved that a dude with a bow can be lethal in any situation. Wish his suit was more representative of the comics but I understand why it wasn't.

The Stark/Loki jerk-off debate was pretty fun. THere aren't too many egos that can match up like that.

I totally didn't see the surprise death coming. I hadn't read any spoilers, so that was a little bit of a shock. I have a feeling he might return as a certain android. I seem to remember someone mentioning a Phase 3 project...

The Hulk/Loki showdown made me literally laugh out loud. That was freaking priceless.

Bottom line here, DC better seriously take notice of what can be acheived in a comic movie cause this set the bar higher than I think they can reach. The Dark Knight better bring it and the producers of Man of Steel had better start thinking ahead to next year. Avengers has set the standard, folks. Warner Bros. has officially been slapped across the face with the proverbial cinematic glove. Let's see how they respond.

Oh yeah, the last letter on Stark's building was a fitting final shot.
    I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.
  • wayne foundation 07
    Time to feed the cat
    • Dec 30, 2007

Did it end like they were setting up a part 2? Glad you liked it.I never heard how much it cost to make have you?

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

^^^There was a major character reveal at the end so I'm guessing they are already working on this. The money this brought in requires a follow-up or two. Nolan/WB makes films for adults. Whedon/Disney makes a movie for everyone. I don't see how DC can compete.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I loved the portrayal of Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye...to me...he was the surprise character of the movie.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

However...I don't think Dark Knight has to "bring it"...it already has...both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight set the bar really high...are already semi-classics in my opinion...so the last installment...The Dark Knight Rises...is just icing on the cake.

But yes, The Man of Steel has to bring it...Superman Returns was a flawed film...so yes...I agree on Supes having to prove itself...but not Bats.
          sigpic

Comment

• Operation:Mego
            I'm the Star Spangled Man
            • May 21, 2011

The final shot of Stark Towers was awesome, a total set-up for what might become Avengers Mansion.
            Last edited by Operation:Mego; May 19, '12, 7:26 PM.
            sigpic
            The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Paul Evans
              Career Member
              • Jun 19, 2001

Did you stay for the two easter eggs...?
              "They say no man can resist them."

Comment

• johnmiic
                Adrift
                • Sep 6, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
                However...I don't think Dark Knight has to "bring it"...it already has...both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight set the bar really high...are already semi-classics in my opinion...so the last installment...The Dark Knight Rises...is just icing on the cake.
                I'll just bet you the dopes in charge of Warner Bros. are sitting around looking at the money Avengers just made and expecting DKR to match it or beat it. I expect DKR to be good but not do the business Avengers did this summer. TDK and Avengers are both very complex stories with multiple sub-plots going on but Avengers is more action. Batman is usually about mystery, suspense and intrigue. These films are virtually opposites. We have yet to see what DKR will bring. I expect a tour de force as Nowlan's swan song but not a slam-bang film like Avengers is.

Comment

• Random Axe
                  The Voice of Reason
                  • Apr 16, 2008

^^^Two? Are you freakin kidding? I only saw the first reveal. Now I gotta go research the second...

Comment

• Paul Evans
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 19, 2001

Originally posted by Random Axe
                    ^^^Two? Are you freakin kidding? I only saw the first reveal. Now I gotta go research the second...

Tsk, tsk! What's another 60 seconds?

The second was at the VERY tail end. Most people cleared out after the first egg. My 3 sons, wife and I were the only ones still there at the end. SUCKERS!

I'll offer no spoiler here though.
                    "They say no man can resist them."

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by Random Axe
                      Tsk, tsk, tsk. When will people learn: STAY UTIL THE VERY END WITH MARVEL MOVIES!!!!!

sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 20, 2011

Suffice it to say, Scott, the second Easter Egg will leave you feeling a bit hungry (unless you've wolfed down two giant buckets of popcorn!).

I want to say the total cost of THE AVENGERS was right around $220 million, which MARVEL and DISNEY have already earned back threefold!
                        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• May 21, 2011

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                          Suffice it to say, Scott, the second Easter Egg will leave you feeling a bit hungry (unless you've wolfed down two giant buckets of popcorn!).

I want to say the total cost of THE AVENGERS was right around $220 million, which MARVEL and DISNEY have already earned back threefold!
                          I'd say it's a bit more than 3x.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Dark Shadow
                            Creature Of The Night
                            • May 14, 2011

Best movie I've seen in quite awhile. I anticipated this as being nothing more than a big old convoluted mess ever since I first heard it was going to happen (how ever many years ago it's been now), but still hoped for the best. Love it when a movie completely blows away my expectations. The Avengers, without question, has hit the number two spot in my list of all time faves in this genre, 2nd only to The Dark Knight. Two completely different productions which demonstrate just how multifaceted (and successful) the genre can be when the right creatives are at the helm.

Four screenings down as of this afternoon, at least 2 more to go!
                            Last edited by Dark Shadow; May 19, '12, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by johnmiic
                              I'll just bet you the dopes in charge of Warner Bros. are sitting around looking at the money Avengers just made and expecting DKR to match it or beat it.
                              But that's just the thing...Dark Knight also made one billion dollars.

The swan flicks never match the previous ones...you are asking too much out of the DK.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎