Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

^^^ no love for Cesar?? His Joker still ranks pretty high. Mark Hammil and Ledger the only ones giving him a run for the money.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
      I never have a problem with Batman actors because the character is so stale anybody can play him.

Keaton, Kilmer or Clooney was basically all the same --- (i'm quiet, i'm troubled, i'm Batman)

The new guy (I forgot his name) is the same too.

Batman/Bruce Wayne is the weakest character in all movies

I'm not putting Batman down, it's just I see him that way
      Bingo! This has always been my problem with DC characters in general. Even as a kid, I realized the Superfriends cartoon had zero characterization compared to Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends or The Incredible Hulk, which made superheroes seem like real people. They had lives outside of being heroes instead of just hanging around the Hall of Justice 24/7 waiting for the "troubalert" to go off.

I agree though Mike...I love the Schumacher films. Big budget meets 60's Batman. What's not to like?

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        ^^^ no love for Cesar?? His Joker still ranks pretty high. Mark Hammil and Ledger the only ones giving him a run for the money.
        Cesar Romero probably is still #1 with me but Nicholson and Ledger have both given inspired performances. But with the others from '66 no one comes close to taking anything away from their performances. Carrey, Pfieffer, DeVito, Silverstone? Bah I say!
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• jimsmegos
          Mego Dork
          • Nov 9, 2008

I liked Val Kilmer okay but Chris O'Donnel as Robin and this interpretation of Robin was just too much for me. As a kid (and even today) I was always more of a Robin fan than Batman so to see that was very disappointing. The biggest stand out for the film for me and which gives it a strong edge over the others is this ones soundtrack and score. Loved 'em both especially Seal's 'Kiss from a Rose'.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I like Batman Forever. Where Batman 89 captured the feel of the initial solo Batman stories, Forever manages to evoke the early Batman/Robin tales. I preferred Kilmer over Keaton as Batman (although I liked Keaton's nuanced and distracted Bruce Wayne). O'Donnel was fine as an older Robin. I kind of liked that they played up the circus gypsy angle, a valid way to go with the character, especially since they aged him. Nicole Kidman's chracter was very one dimensional, but she never looked better, so as the eye candy she was meant to provide, she works.

Carrey's Riddler was Jim Carrey. Just like Nicholson's Joker was Jack Nicholson. WB got what they paid for. Tommy Lee Jones was the biggest disappointment to me. Two-Face is Batman's most tragic foe, but Jones played him as if he was a one-shot guest star on the 60s series. We all know Jones is a fantastic actor, so this felt like a waste. Loved him in Captain America though! He redeemed himself in comic movies.

Forever seems like a tighter film. Batman 89 has some ameuterish dragging parts if you go back and look at it. Burton's pacing seems to be off. Forever moves along at a good clip. But the campy elements are definitely starting to emerge. The scene where Batman crashes through the skylight is ruined by some nerdy guy saying "Ehh, BATMAN!!!". These are similar to the stupid little moments that Dick Lester shoved into Sueprman II, and undercut the destruction Zod and company wrought on Metropolis. There's a difference between humor (see Avengers) and annoying bits like this. Gotham's design is beyond over the top though. Anton Furst's initial art deco-goth look has been changed into neon-giant architecture. It's a little TOO far from reality for my taste.

Overall I like this one better than Batman Returns, which despite Pfieffer's excellent Catwoman is just too-Burton indulgent. I waffle between ranking Forever or 89 on top of the first 4 films. I guess I have to give the edge to 89 just out of nostaliga and for getting the tone right overall. Batman and Robin took the things I didn't like about Forever and regurgetated them for 2 hours. I only watch that one when my kids want to. Alica Silverstone looked nice as Batgirl, but her acting was horrendous, IMHO.

One things for sure, I still get goosebumpy at the end of Forever when Batman and Robin run toward the camera in silhouette, the Bat-Signal blazing behind them. THAT'S what Batman and Robin are about, in the back of my 4-year old brain!

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

I thought Batman Forever was okay esthetically speaking. But I thought Kilmer and O'Donnell look too close in age to take one as a mentor over the other. That and Kidman acted more like a **** than a professional woman with control of her inhibitions. I mean she was able to access the Batsignal to hit on him? Ridiculous. "The Batsignal is not a beeper." Ew... Cringe inducing.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

For me Batman Returns was the worst movie of the original 4.

I love Michelle Pfieffer and I still have a 25 year crush on her, but that aside Batman Returns was the most boring Batman movie of the lot.

Burton's Penguin was just horrible and my least liked character of the original 4 movies.

Arnold's Mr Freeze was 10,000 times more watchable

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

Seeing Pfieffer in Dark Shadows reminded me how much I enjoyed her Catwoman. Can't wait for Hot Toys to do their version.

12" Feline Girl Michelle Pfeiffer Selina Kyle Catwoman batman Brother Production | eBay

Last edited by samurainoir; May 20, '12, 1:10 PM.
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• madmarva
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jul 7, 2007

I really liked the Batman aspect of the script of Batman Forever, and I thought Kilmer was decent other than having sandy-colored hair. I enjoyed Nicole Kidman, too. I think it's the best story arc for Batman in the first 4 films.

But Carrey's Riddler was too much and the script didn't provide Tommy Lee Jones anything to do as two Face. I would have liked to have seen him as Two-Face in a Nolan directed movie or in an adaption of Long Halloween. Of course,he's too old now.

I think the mistake made was that Riddler and Two face were characterized too much like the Joker in the script and as another mentioned Carrey and Jones took to many cues from Nicholson's Joker performance. Joker, Riddler and Two Face are all very different characters in the comics, when portrayed correctly.

The Robin stuff was terrible, too, imo. Robin should start out 10 or 12 years old. By the time Grayson is the age that he's portrayed in the film, he should already be transitioning into Nightwing.

Comment

• samurainoir
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by madmarva
                      But Carrey's Riddler was too much and the script didn't provide Tommy Lee Jones anything to do as two Face. I would have liked to have seen him as Two-Face in a Nolan directed movie or in an adaption of Long Halloween. Of course,he's too old now.
                      But they can get Josh Brolin to play Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face in a Nolan directed movie.

*SIGNED IN PERSON* JOSH BROLIN - 8X10 PHOTO (MEN IN BLACK 3) | eBay
                      Last edited by samurainoir; May 20, '12, 1:31 PM.
                      My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Toyroom
                        Cesar Romero probably is still #1 with me but Nicholson and Ledger have both given inspired performances. But with the others from '66 no one comes close to taking anything away from their performances. Carrey, Pfieffer, DeVito, Silverstone? Bah I say!
                        Jack to me was so so, he still was much weaker than Cesar.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• madmarva
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jul 7, 2007

For what the show was and was attempting to accomplish, the '66 Batman series was fantastic and nearly perfectly cast in its major and minor roles. It just all fit so perfectly.

It's not portraying my favorite version of Batman, but, man, did the the whole production hit the mark it was aiming for.

Batman:The Animated Series, to me, is my favorite adaption of Batman to another medium because it draws from all eras of Batman lore, cherry-picking the best material and still staying very consistent in tone and quality. It was dark enough, but not too dark. Batman was the most determined man in the world, but not whacko.

The villains were strong and distinct and their origins were often portrayed and/or updated better than they were in the comics.

When DC was doing the dreadful "Nightfall" series in the comics during the 1990s, I was so happy to have the Batman cartoons to watch, where Batman could be Batman.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                            galactic yo-yo
                            • Apr 6, 2006

My biggest beef with these versions of the Batman movies was the bad guy was always getting killed. Was it really needed?

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                              My biggest beef with these versions of the Batman movies was the bad guy was always getting killed. Was it really needed?
                              I think that stopped after Batman Returns

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                                Verbose Member
                                • Mar 7, 2004

^Two-Face died in Forever, although Riddler lived. I guess Two-Face could have returned, since no body was found (or we didn't see it). Joker and Penguin were unquestionably D-E-A-D.

Chris
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎