Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Mandrake has always been a somewhat underappreciated talent in the comics world. I, for one, loved his take on Batman, Catwoman and SHAZAM...
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

I think the reason why Mandrake has been underappreciated is because his art style is geared more toward the horror/weird science stories. Don't know if it's because of the inkers or if that's just his style. Can't remember when Mandrake wasn't doing a "regular" title...Regular meaning a title that didn't have a sort of supernatural theme to it. Batman/Detective is the last thing I can think of. The last few things that he has done were stuff like the Batman horror book that came out, Martian Manhunter, and Spectre. I only recently discovered that Mandrake is married to Jan Dursema. Another artist that has been "stylized". She has done a lot of "Fantasy" books in the past.

Also read that Ostrander has Glaucoma and there are a few benefits that are being done that are going to go to help him pay mounting medical bills. Sad to hear...but another reason that artists/writers/inkers need to get some sort of union in the comic book field. I hear way too many stories like this, guys like Ostrander and the late Dave Cockrum, just make you shake your head in sadness and disgust for the "Industry" part of the comic books. Sorry for going off on that tangent.

Comment

• The Toyroom
        The Packaging King
        • Dec 31, 2004

Mandrake is currently handling the art on Marv Wolfman's "Night Force" mini-series...
        Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• emeraldknight47
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by The Toyroom
          Mandrake is currently handling the art on Marv Wolfman's "Night Force" mini-series...
          Cool! It's good to know he's doing some work in the industry!
          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Mandrake did some moody work on the regular Batman titles in the mid-80s right before the Post-Crisis changeover.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• kingdom warrior
              OH JES!!
              • Jul 21, 2005

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
              another reason that artists/writers/inkers need to get some sort of union in the comic book field. I hear way too many stories like this, guys like Ostrander and the late Dave Cockrum, just make you shake your head in sadness and disgust for the "Industry" part of the comic books.
              Marvel and DC would crush a Union in no time. Simply because artist are a dime a dozen and can get replaced. The Old guys got Royally screwed working freelance with basically no benefits.Basically they had to strike tough deals to get a decent wage. Simon and Kirby went to National and worked out a deal to get a combined $500 Now the top guys get a contract and get payed well based on their track success.....

I was reading an article today about Roger Langridge not wanting to work for DC and Marvel because of Treatment of Creators

CREATORS RIGHTS: How the Jack Kirby case caused acclaimed ROGER LANGRIDGE to quit DC and Marvel - Comic Riffs - The Washington Post

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by Blue Meanie
                I only recently discovered that Mandrake is married to Jan Dursema. Another artist that has been "stylized". She has done a lot of "Fantasy" books in the past.
                Jan Duursema is probably best known these days in fan circles for her Star Wars stuff for Dark Horse (where Ostrander has been doing much of his work in recent years).

Star Wars Darth Maul TPB Mint Dark Horse 1st Print 2001 | eBay

Ostrander's wife Kim Yale was an editor at DC comics and collaborated with him on Suicide Squad and Grimjack.

Suicide Squad #49 Oracle / Joker / Batman app NM- 1991 | eBay
                Last edited by samurainoir; May 20, '12, 11:31 PM.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• samurainoir
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Dec 26, 2006

JOHN BYRNE ORIGINAL COMIC ART PAGE #13 FROM BLOOD OF THE DEMON #7 Vs THE SPECTRE | eBay

Adams, Neal SPECTRE 2 PAGE 10 Original Art 1968 | eBay
                  My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

>I think the reason why Mandrake has been underappreciated is because his art style is geared more toward the horror/weird science stories.

True; and he has a weird etherial look to all his stuff which doesn't work for all stories. I remember thinking his stuff looked "soft" during his Grimjack run. (Looking at it now I suspect part of that was 'cos Truman is a damned tough act to follow.)

Don C.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎