X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riffster
    Atomic batteries to power
    • Jun 29, 2008

DC Comics canceling subscriptions

I got a bunch of letters telling me that DC has cancelled subscriptions and transfering remaining issues to other books. The series' haven't killed, just the ability to subscribe? Makes no sense, JLI is cancelled in 2 issues anyway
    sp
    Firestorm
    Batwoman
    JLI
    JLD
    Superboy
    Legion of Super-heroes
    Birds of Prey
    Red Hood
    Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
    And Super Powers Batman
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Sounds like some of those might be the next round of cancelled books then. Why else would they just transfer subscriptions?
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

There was talk of this on the Aquaman Shrine. Someone got a cancellation notice for Aquaman. Now, Aquaman is outselling X-Men. I can't see them pulling the plug on that one.

I think this is another sign that DC is moving toward leaving print behind all together.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        There was talk of this on the Aquaman Shrine. Someone got a cancellation notice for Aquaman. Now, Aquaman is outselling X-Men. I can't see them pulling the plug on that one.

I think this is another sign that DC is moving toward leaving print behind all together.

Chris
        With a major studio/corporation behind them like Warner Bros., I could definitely see DC being the first comics company to get out of the printing pool, so to speak, but I would miss being able to physically hold a comic in my hands. I downloaded my first digital comics the other day and I think they're pretty cool, but I still like to feel the darn thing in my hand. Guess I'm just old-fashioned that way...
        sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
          I would miss being able to physically hold a comic in my hands. I downloaded my first digital comics the other day and I think they're pretty cool, but I still like to feel the darn thing in my hand. Guess I'm just old-fashioned that way...
          Same here! I want a physical comic book in my hand.

As for DC cancelling subscriptions(or is it maybe just a couple of titles?). If they no longer have direct mail order...it would be a great thing for local Comic Shops.
          sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I'd hate to see the end of physical comics. And I may be jumping the gun, and DC is just limiting their subscriptions, but it just kind of goes hand in hand with their "digital first" titles, etc.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Riffster
              Atomic batteries to power
              • Jun 29, 2008

it says Dear Birds of Prey subscriber
              this is to notify you the series birds of prey will cease to be offered as a subscription title after #10. Issue 10 will be deliverd to you as scheduled in late June. To keep reading the title beyond the end of your subscription please visit your local comic shop or shop online at readdccomics.com

second paragraph is what remaining issues will transfer too
              Looking for Infinite Heroes Robin and Catwoman
              And Super Powers Batman

Comment

• The Toyroom
                The Packaging King
                • Dec 31, 2004

Set up a subscription thru Midtown Comics or another on-line comic store and screw DC...
                Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Didiogital sucks, I tried and gave up after 3 issues. The price along with the staring at the screen killed it for me. The trades are cheaper than digital anyway so I'll trade wait.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• NewForce
                    Persistent Member
                    • Apr 5, 2008

FYI, comics will "always" be available in print format...even if digital takes off more, there will always be printed comics so long as comics are offered in current formet (22 page stories, etc)... believe it or not, DC and Marvel, etc make way more money off the advertisers and they (advertisers) are actually still lining up to be in comics!

digital is great, but without print, comics will cease to exist (again, in any currently recognizable format)

Comment

• VintageMike
                      Permanent Member
                      • Dec 16, 2004

Perhaps it's just a case of those particular books not having enough subscribers.

Comment

• ctc
                        Fear the monkeybat!
                        • Aug 16, 2001

>Perhaps it's just a case of those particular books not having enough subscribers.

That makes sense, especially since they said the books are still coming out but you should get 'em at a comic shop. I could see them wanting to distance themselves from the sales end of things; they probably lose money overall with the shipping and staffing costs, and big conglomerates don't like losing money, even on an effective lost-lead.

Don C.

Comment

• AJ Collector
                          The Biggest Little Man!
                          • Aug 24, 2008

Not to mention the money made in reprint formats, multi issue trades, hardcovers....etc.

Originally posted by NewForce
                          FYI, comics will "always" be available in print format...even if digital takes off more, there will always be printed comics so long as comics are offered in current formet (22 page stories, etc)... believe it or not, DC and Marvel, etc make way more money off the advertisers and they (advertisers) are actually still lining up to be in comics!

digital is great, but without print, comics will cease to exist (again, in any currently recognizable format)

Comment

• samurainoir
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Dec 26, 2006

I'm going to trot out my pet theory again about print comics books eventually becoming agessively pushed as limited edition collectible items once again. Except I'm now upping the time frame to inside of ten years. They will need to pull out all the bells and whistles as the print audience ages to get the under thirty crowd to pick up a physical copy... I'm talking cover enhancements, foil covers, glow in the dark, metallic interior inks, holograms, giant sized foldout pages that can't be replicated on a tablet, etc.

You already see the Indy comix and zines going this DIY art route... Many individual comics becoming little art objects unto themselves... With silk screen or hand painted covers.

We've already seen variant covers are now the norm to the survival and profit margins on many print comics... Which essentially takes advantage of collector OCD, and sells the same item multiple times to the same consumer. The frontier is very obviously digital to anyone paying attention (without the overhead and middlemen) and the comic store is about putting the existing print consumer into a holding pattern for the next couple of decades. Even DC direct sees the writing on the wall and is shifting to direct online sales rather than put all their eggs on diamond and brick and mortar to sell fancy statues.
                            Last edited by samurainoir; May 16, '12, 8:07 AM.
                            My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎