X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

4 minute Amazing Spiderman special on AGT

Okay... Just watched this special tonight and here are my thoughts. I can live with the cosmetic changes to Spider-man. Although the lenses are a tad too close to the '77 TV series. I can accept the Lizard how they have him. Every comic villain gets conceptualized to some extent on film, so there you are. And I can live with the web-shooters and the change in the lead role of Parker. I realize it's a reboot and well... that's how it goes. But the number of stories this installment has to cover has me thinking this film will be spotty on strong story points and long on redundancy. Think about it. They have to RETELL the origin. Which means we have to watch Parker go through the discovery phase once more, as well as build his web-shooters. We have to watch Uncle Ben get killed again. And I suspect we have to find out what happen to Parker's parents AND discover why his "accident" may not have been one afterall. This is all on the way to him just becoming Spider-man! And THEN we have to get the background on the Lizard as well. Lots of back story to cover, which means something will suffer just so they can get to the fight between the Lizard and Spider-man. Looks like a script trying to take on more than it can possibly handle in a two hour time frame. I think it would have been far smarter to have picked up this story with Spider-man already in existence.
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
    Looks like a script trying to take on more than it can possibly handle in a two hour time frame. I think it would have been far smarter to have picked up this story with Spider-man already in existence.
    Amen, Reverend, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen!!!!!
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

All I know is that Andrew Garfield has the much better frame to portray Spidey than stocky short-armed Tobey Maguire...

Garfield is lean and long...plus his Spidey swings just like in the comic books...

They had to do a reboot...I'd say mainly because of the mechanical web-shooters (it has to be explained)...this is the REAL Spider-Man...not some organic web-shooting freak...plus Gwen Stacy adds a different element altogether.

After Spider-Man 3...I want to forget that mess...Maguire was truly awful in that one...so I fully embrace Garfield.

The Avengers might be the box office champion this Summer/Year...as a group...they will beat Spidey...but one-on-one...none of them have a chance in terms of popularity...Spidey will ALWAYS be Marvel's number one superhero...and don't you guys EVER forget it...

sigpic

Comment

• Operation:Mego
        I'm the Star Spangled Man
        • May 21, 2011

Uncle Ben doesn't die in this, Webb's confirmed that. "It's a different take on Spider-Man...but we do stick to his roots with the 'Great Power, Great Responsibility' aspect."

I am actually looking forward to it. After reading the reasons for certain decisions, I can say that I have no worries about this film.
        Last edited by Operation:Mego; May 15, '12, 12:52 AM.
        sigpic
        The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Yeah...I loved The Avengers...and I'm sure I'm going to love Spidey as well....that goes for Dark Knight Rises too.

This movie looks so elegant...the cinematography is terrific...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16AwV...layer_embedded

sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

I also agree that we didn't need the Spidey origin again.
            Okay, it's a reboot, and the film makers thought it was important to show their version of the origin, but yeah, with so much packed in to this movie, I fear that no single element will get the screen time it requires.

(But I'm damn glad that we finally get proper mechanical webshooters in this movie. )

Similarly, I also feel that we didn't need the origin relaying again in The Man of Steel.

But hey, with 2012 being so joyously packed with super hero movies, I'm going to give them all the benefit of the doubt and hope they're all great films.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
              Garfield is lean and long...plus his Spidey swings just like in the comic books...

Sorry bro. I have to disagree and say the Spidey swinging and mid air poses look identical to the previous franchise. I think it was smart on their part to keep some things familiar from the Raimi universe and I think this is definitely it. That and his signature "Whooo!" when he is swinging. So Raimi's influence definitely remains.

Last edited by MIB41; May 15, '12, 5:55 AM.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

I was more talking about body frames.

Maguire is short, stocky, and short-armed. Garfield is much leaner and longer-armed.
                sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

I know Emeraldknight and MIB are both part of the Green Lantern Corps, and this is probably payback for many of us hating The Green Lanten movie, but if there's any consolation, I just seen it again on cable, and I actually enjoyed it a lot more than my first experience at the movie theater.

So I'd be the first one to admit I was a bit wrong, I jumped the gun too quickly on my dislike for The Green Lantern.

So, Green Lantern Wonder Twins, if I was accomodating, you should give the new Spidey flick a chance before hating it so much... watch the movie first, lol.

I have spoken!

sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

That's very cool Hec. Glad you enjoyed it! I will be planted in the seats for Spidey opening weekend. I will certainly give it it's just due because Spidey is my all time fav hero. I'm not hating it now, just pointing out some concerns. But I will follow your lead and give this film every chance to be everything it can be.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I think it looks like a good movie. I do wish we could skip the origin. But I honestly wish the new Superman movie was skipping it too. I didn't mind seeing Batman's origin in Batman Begins because it had never been done very well before. I felt Burton's version was very flat. Superman and Spidey's origins were done right the first time. But I can deal with it since the rest of the movie looks well conceived.

My son is majorly excited for this new Spidey movie, so I know we'll be there opening day.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

Originally posted by MIB41
                          That's very cool Hec. Glad you enjoyed it! I will be planted in the seats for Spidey opening weekend. I will certainly give it it's just due because Spidey is my all time fav hero. I'm not hating it now, just pointing out some concerns. But I will follow your lead and give this film every chance to be everything it can be.

http://megomuseum.com/mmgallery/file...pideyGreen.jpg
                          Heh heh----good one, Skippy!!!

And Hector, very big of you to admit that you don't hate GL as much as you previously did. Is it a flawed movie? Yes? Did it deserves the acidic diatribes that the critics dumped on it long before it ever even opened, thus poisoning the box office? I don't think so....
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 20, 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But Hector, with the mask on, how do you KNOW that this IS Garfield in the classic Spidey poses/swings or just another skinny. wiry stunt guy....?

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

No need to... Just look at both actors, Garfield is much leaner and longer-limbed. Maguire is stockier and stumpier.

BTW, that Maguire spidey poster is not him either, lol.
                              Last edited by Hector; May 15, '12, 10:17 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎