Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about cool shops in Toronto cos I'm not going there.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babycyclops
    Career Member
    • Jul 9, 2010

Tell me about cool shops in Toronto cos I'm not going there.

My wife is travelling to Toronto in a week or so, and I'm wondering if some of you folks in the know can tell me about cool stuff happening there in the next month or two, or any must-visit comic or toy shops there.

She has lived and worked in Toronto before, and knows the city pretty well, though perhaps not well enough to buy up gifts for her nerdy and selfish husband.

So what and where do you guys recommend?
  • cjefferys
    Duke of Gloat
    • Apr 23, 2006

Silver Snail on Queen St is a must stop.

Comment

• babycyclops
      Career Member
      • Jul 9, 2010

Thanks!

Comment

• samurainoir
        Eloquent Member
        • Dec 26, 2006

Is she going to be in the downtown core? Keep in mind the Greater Toronto Area is pretty huge. If she's staying out by the airport for example, it's pretty desolate and transit sucks. If she's inside the city along one of the subway lines, then she's golden.

As Chris mentioned, Silver Snail is pretty much the destination store for everyone on Queen ST. W (although it will soon be moving to yonge and dundas, next to the HMV).
        Silver Snail

1,000,000 Comix at Yonge and Wellesley also has a large selection of toys and back issues as well as trades.
        Canada Toronto Anime, Comics, Manga, Collectibles - One Million Comix

My personal recommendation however is for the Annex community on Bloor...

BMV is close to Spadina and has a huge section upstairs on the third floor that sells deeply discounted trades and back issues.
        BMV Books - The Annex - Toronto, ON

Plus The Beguiling, THE best Alt Comics store in North America IMHO. If you are seeking stuff beyond the diamond catalogue, this is the place.
        http://www.beguiling.com/

If you have kids to shop for, The BeguiIng recently opened up the first comics shop aimed only at kids... Little Island.
        Little Island Comics The Blog!

If you are a Golden Age, Silver Age, bronze age, CGC type of collector, then it's Paradise Comics all the way uptown on Yonge (keep in mind Yonge street is a big long St that covers the GTA and beyond north and south)
        Home page

Vintage toys is tough... We generally do toy shows far into the suburbs or drive to the nearby city of Hamilton to visit Kool Stuff.
        Welcome to Kool Stuff Toys,located in Hamilton,Ontario,Canada
        Last edited by samurainoir; May 16, '12, 7:24 AM.
        My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• boynightwing
          That Carl Guy
          • Apr 24, 2002

Kool Stuff is just that. My buddy lives down the street. If we're talking Hamilton way, then I also suggest Big B Comics on Upper James. I go there from time to time. They have some decent toys and the entire basement is a big comic bargin bin.

I used to go to Bounty Hunter Toys a lot but sadly he closed down for health reasons. He's a good guy and I got most of my Trek Mego's from him back in the day.

Comment

• cjefferys
            Duke of Gloat
            • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by samurainoir
            As Chris mentioned, Silver Snail is pretty much the destination store for everyone on Queen ST. W (although it will soon be moving to yonge and dundas, next to the HMV).
            Wow, I didn't know they were moving. That will be a great location, I won't miss the long trek down Queen St W. When is that happening? I'm just glad they are still open, I've been going there everytime I go to Toronto since I was about 13 years old.

Comment

• babycyclops
              Career Member
              • Jul 9, 2010

Thanks very much for the replies guys.

There are a few Bronze Age books that I'd like to track down, so while I could probably find them online, I also really like the feeling of knowing where and when I managed to plug the gaps.

My wife will be visiting friends and family all over Toronto (she has quite the extended family over there) and with a bit of luck I've a feeling that two or three of the shops mentioned may be nearby to folks who she is visiting.

Thanks for the links, Samurai. I would say you guys seem pretty spoiled for comic shops overr there.

Comment

• samurainoir
                Eloquent Member
                • Dec 26, 2006

For bronze age, email paradise comics with your list ahead of time. I'm sure they can be of great help and will pull what you are looking for, and then you can arrange for your wife to pick them up in person at the store.
                My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎