X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by madmarva
    Is it a specific Lantern, or is it a death of the Corps? Guardians have been talking about replacing the GLs in the books with their third generation of policemen (1. manhunters, 2 GLs, 3. ?) since the New 52 started.
    You could be right. Although DC seems to purposefully be evoking the Death of Superman.

The problem with them pulling this stunt ad nauseum in the Green Lantern books is that there are so many Green Lanterns to choose from anyways. The last time they did this was last year, and it turned out to be Mogo they killed. And as Black knight points out, very few of the main Green Lantern characters haven't been dead at some point or another. Kyle and John being the two exceptions, but even they have been put through the ringer too... John was crippled and his wife murdered, Kyle had his girlfriend stuffed in a fridge etc.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Random Axe
      The Voice of Reason
      • Apr 16, 2008

The Corp has thousands of members with new ones daily. Killing off an Earth born GL serves no purpose aside from feeding the hype machine. A smart writer/publisher would kill off someone important and not spoil it ahead of time. Death is mostly random and should be depicted as such.

Personally Id like to see the guardians perish and the corp has to police themselves. The above statement would be doubled if I was actually picking. up this 52 stuff.
      I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• BlackKnight
        The DarkSide Customizer
        • Apr 16, 2005

Originally posted by thunderbolt
        Batman "died" once in Final Crisis. He was actually kicked back in time by Darkseid's Omega Beams. The charred corpse was not Batman but one of Desaad's clones of him.
        It was "Suggested" That Batman Died Twice.
        All That Other Crap Came Later with Back Story Relavations with Much Better Explainations Because Nobody Knew What The F was Going on .

Your input as you will for something you seemed to like, inwhich I hated,.... really has No Meaning with my Factual Statement , That DC Has Committed Far Greater Acts of Stupidity , ...and with the New 52 ......, it's endless , so why not just add to it .
        ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• BlackKnight
          The DarkSide Customizer
          • Apr 16, 2005

Kyle Died for like 5 Panels and 2 Issues in Blackest Night .
          Thats what Origionally Pushed Guy to Become a Red Lantern.
          ...., It also Sounds Stupid ..., I know. I am Ashamed I know this.
          ... The Original Knight ..., Often Imitated, However Never Duplicated. The 1st Knight in Customs.

always trading for Hot Toys Figures .

Comment

• bobws
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 13, 2008

Just don't kill Arisia again, oh wait, i'm not reading the GL stuff anyways.
            "Hang on Lady... We go for a RIDE!" - Shorty to Willie Scott.Best movie line from Indiana Jones & the Temple Of Doom

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by BlackKnight
              It was "Suggested" That Batman Died Twice.
              All That Other Crap Came Later with Back Story Relavations with Much Better Explainations Because Nobody Knew What The F was Going on .

Your input as you will for something you seemed to like, inwhich I hated,.... really has No Meaning with my Factual Statement , That DC Has Committed Far Greater Acts of Stupidity , ...and with the New 52 ......, it's endless , so why not just add to it .
              The author of the story knew exactly what was going on, other nitwits like Winnick or Starlin did not. DC should have given Morrison control over editorial for Final Crisis and RIP(not to mention the Blackest Night infiltration into his story) to keep out the riffraff. I've never read anything that implied Batman died twice, only that he was believed dead once.
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• madmarva
                Talkative Member
                • Jul 7, 2007

It appeared Batman died in the RIP storyline when whatever Bat-vehicle he was in crashed into the Gotham Bay or River or whatever body of water it was. The next two issues or maybe an issue of Batman and an issue of Detective celebrated his legacy.

In Final Crisis, it appeared he died when Superman brought out what appeared to be his corpse or bones.

What happened after RIP and prior to the climax of Final Crisis, was explained a year of so later after the Batman or Bruce Wayne Returns mini series.

All three of those series were written by Morrison. Until the explanation came, it wasn't clear that the entire RIP storyline occurred prior to Final Crisis because they were printed concurrently and editorial never stated it that it was, to my knowledge.

The scheduling was poor. RIP never really flowed into Final Crisis like other DC books but I and I think other readers just assumed it did because that's how crossovers work. The two legacy issues by Gaiman even muddied the picture more.

But I can see the dying twice idea that was a prevalent thought among more than a few readers, but technically DC didn't say he died twice, but there were two story lines running at the same time that suggested it.

That's how I remember it. I didn't reference anything because it's not that important to me.

But as many have mentioned during DIddio's tenure as Editor of the DCU, the company really didn't have the whole communication thing together.

While I hate to praise the New 52, it has been a much more cohesive effort since Harras took over control, but it's not as complex of a publishing plate either.
                Last edited by madmarva; May 14, '12, 4:55 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

The legacy celebrating stuff came after his "official" death in FC 5 shich really should be considered the last chapter of RIP. The FC stuff would fall in right after the explosion in Gotham Harbor and "The Butler Did It" two parter where he was held prisoner by Desaad. That last little bit where Dick and Damian are crashing in on Le Bossu happens after Bruce's shootout with Darkseid and his supposed death. The first implied death was not really all that played up, and then Batman appeared pretty publicly investigating Orion's murder and GL's frame up so I don't even count that one.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• samurainoir
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Dec 26, 2006

Guy's still alive at rocket red's funeral.

Comment

• madmarva
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jul 7, 2007

The first implied death was not really all that played up, and then Batman appeared pretty publicly investigating Orion's murder and GL's frame up so I don't even count that one.
                      The timeline is easy to piece together now with all the issues in hand, but when Final Crisis 1 came out, which featured Batman investigating Orion's murder, the RIP story line still had Batman running around in that purple and red costume out of his mind. The RIP storyline was several issues away from its conclusion. But, the FInal Crisis image of SUperman holding what appeared to be a dead Batman had already been released by DC. Plus, there is all this publicity or hype out there about Batman "dying" in Final Crisis and there is a story line called RIP (insinuating or implying Batman's death) running at the same time. It seemed like they were linked in my mind and to others when really they weren't.

While you may have seen the plot line clearly from the beginning, I and other readers found the whole RIP, FINAL Crisis, Search for Batman a bit muddled, particularly if reading the books as they came out monthly, which you may or may not have been doing. Read apart, I don't think there is any confusion. But, read intertwined and it seems odd DC would kill off Batman twice in such a short time or even run two story lines suggesting it at the same time. So my conclusion was they were linked somehow.

For publicity, DC kind of ruined any shock of Batman's supposed death in Final Crisis by showing the cover to the final issue of FC so early and it also kind of buried the significance of the cliff-hanger in the RIP storyline.

Part of the problem may have been that Morrison finished the Batman RIP scripts well in advance of their publication. There's no doubt he knew RIP had concluded in Batman's timeline prior to Final Crisis, but the reader's didn't.

Taken as a whole, I think Final Crisis and RIP were good reads. I know others don't agree. To me if anything hurt Final Crisis, it was all the tie-in mini-series. Some like the Superman one were absolutely necessary to the story (it probably should have been 2 actual issues of Final Crisis), but others really weren't vital at all.

To me all of that just equals poor planning by the editorial department.

Comment

• samurainoir
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Dec 26, 2006

The annual concludes the black hand/indigo lantern storyline... Which means this might be some more black lantern hojo.

Corps #12 concludes the alpha war, which covers guy and John. Assuming GL Corps will have it's own annual #1 along with a New Guardians annual #1?
                        Last edited by samurainoir; May 14, '12, 9:45 PM.

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                          Talkative Member
                          • Jun 20, 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You really ARE a magician, SN!!! You conjure these images up faster than a speeding bullet!!! Are you sure you're not Kryptonian or don't have a Legion ring....?
                          sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• ctc
                            Fear the monkeybat!
                            • Aug 16, 2001

>Personally Id like to see the guardians perish and the corp has to police themselves.

Didn't they do that WAY back in the day? (I seem to recall the last living little blue dude reupping Guy as his instrument of vengeance.)

Y'know, I have my doubts that the "dead superhero" thing carries any weight these days.

Don C.

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Spoilers.

In the latest issue of GL, they explain the Indigo Tribe at last, and a plan seems to be hatching to turn the Guardians into Indigos. I'm guessing they will at least succeed in bringing Ganthet back from the brink of madness.

I'm actually really enjoying the main GL title right now. Between a fairly good payoff on the Indigo tribe storyline (all the clues fell into place and it had me nodding), and making Sinestro the co-star of the book really has created a very complex and sympathetic character. So much so that you know it will be heartbreaking when Sinestro inevitably falls back on old habits... But he will be a much better and tragic big bad because of it. Like most of john's villains.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎