X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Gold Key Comics

Do you guys have fond memories of Gold Key comics? I spent a great deal of time at Toronto's Sick Kid's Hospital visiting my brother as a kid, and it seemed like these were a staple in the gift shop there (in contrast to the other variety stores and newsstands which were dominated by Marvel/DC/Archie/Harvey).

Looking back, most of them seemed to be farmed out to art hacks in the third world (particularly the tv and movie tie ins), but there were the gems in there as well. Joe Staton's E-Man. Carl Bark's Duck reprints.

Anything else stand out for you guys from the now defunct GoldKey line?
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!
  • Bionic Joe
    Persistent Member
    • Dec 10, 2006

I believe E-MAN was charlton not goldkey, Anywho the only goldkey/ whitman comics i ever brought as a kid was STAR TREK and a few whitman Twlight Zone issues in the 3 for 79 cent bag

Comment

• The Toyroom
      The Packaging King
      • Dec 31, 2004

Yes E-Man was Charlton, not Gold Key. I liked the Gold Key/Western titles like Boris Karloff and Turok and Tarzan (before it went to DC).
      Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

They had some cool UFO books, too. Loved the Trek stuff that came out in the 70's.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

I found some of the Star Trek comics at a yard sale once for a dime a piece. Sadly some dipstick stole them on me.

Comment

• PCofmisfittoys
            Banned
            • Oct 17, 2007

i've always loved them . Just getting any of them has always been a challenge ,. I recently bought Gold Key comics metal rack ata thrift store. It has the flintstones and comic side of Gold Key on the topper and it's pretty cool .I had thought about selling it but now want to buy up some flintstones comics to fill it up to display.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

I have a collection of Star Trek and Twilight Zone Gold Keys today.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
                Career Member
                • May 14, 2007

I have a few Gold Key comics but my favorite is the Dark Shadows series. I have an almost complete run from finding them in garage sales, thrift stores and back issue bins.
                Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• fallensaviour
                  Talkative Member
                  • Aug 28, 2006

Oh yes I remember them well.
                  I loved gold key because they had TREK.
                  I used to collect gold key Star Trek,Ripleys believe it or Not, and Mighty Sampson.
                  Good times,good times.I still have them in the basement.
                  “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• ctc
                    Fear the monkeybat!
                    • Aug 16, 2001

Hmmmm....

Gold Key put out some of my all time favourite comics. Dunno if I'd say they were farmed out to hacks... well; not ALL of them.... There were a few really good artists on them back in the day. (And a few NOT so good ones... Stupid Comics )

For some reason a lot of South and Central American cartoonists were being picked up by the second-stringer companies of the day. Not sure WHY though.

But Gold Key DID put out "Mighty Samson" and "The Occult Files of Doctor Spektor;" which I still love. (And would love more if I could finish my sets.) And when I was a kid I always looked for their "true life" UFO books, and horror comics. They also played around with their own multiverse; like Marvel and DC. So, Dr Spektor once fought Doctor Solar; and was a distant ancestor of Dagar the Invincible.

Weird....

Don C.

Comment

• The Sentry
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 3, 2007

I have a stack of Turok Gold Key comics, a few Solar comics, and I did have a nice stack of TZ's but I gave them to Adam (My nephew) for Christmas this year, he was rather pleased with that!
                      sigpic
                      http://facebook.com/Lee.Harrah.99
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/HARRA...755356&sk=info
                      [url]https://www.reverbnation.com/harrah99?profile_view_source=header_icon_nav[url]

Comment

• Bo8a_Fett
                        Pat Troughton in disguise
                        • Nov 21, 2007

Found a few of my Star Trek and a Boris Karloff the other week while down my mum's plus an old issue of Black Orchid (DC Adventure)...
                        ENGLISH AND DAMN PROUD OF IT British by birth....English by the grace of God. Yes Jamie...it is big isn't it....

Comment

• knight errant00
                          8 Inch Action Figure
                          • Nov 15, 2005

I used to always get excited about picking up Gold Key's "Star Trek", but always found myself disappointed after reading them -- never quite right.

"Magnus, Robot Fighter" on the other hand -- that I enjoyed every time I read it!

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

I was that kid who gravitated towards these most of the time especially Turok, Star Trek and Space Family Robinson.

Not sure if it was because they were less fixated on Superheroes or because they felt a little "Retro" even back when they were new.

I'm still obsessed with their Star Trek comics, they go from being completely off model in every way to being simply OK to being almost dead on before they lost the license.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• samurainoir
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Dec 26, 2006

Originally posted by spockfan74
                              I believe E-MAN was charlton not goldkey, Anywho the only goldkey/ whitman comics i ever brought as a kid was STAR TREK and a few whitman Twlight Zone issues in the 3 for 79 cent bag
                              I was misremembering the Modern Reprints!

My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎