Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60's Filmation cartoons: Why no Wonder Woman ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megotoys
    • Mar 28, 2011

60's Filmation cartoons: Why no Wonder Woman ?

Thank you to the administrators of this site for maintaining such an excellent website, and thank you to the members for making it a friendly and informative place.

On to the thread.

My apology if this is posted in the wrong forum, or has been discussed prior to this thread.

There seems to be such an wealth of knowledge in this forum. It really is impressive. Also, differing opinions are offered with such civility. A really neat place.

With regard to the title of this thread, I was wondering if anybody knows the reason why Wonder Woman wasn't featured, at least to my knowledge, in any of the 60's Filmation superhero episodes that featured The Justice League, Superman, Batman, Aquaman, The Atom, etc.

Even if the "powers that be" felt that Wonder Woman didn't warrant her own episodes, surely as a founding member of the Justice League (and to provide a little gender balance), she could have, and dare I say should have been featured in the Justice League episodes of the series.

To confound the issue even further for me, is the fact that other lesser known female characters from DC, such as Mera, were featured in some of the 60's Filmation superhero episode(s).

As a further exploration into the progression of cartoons with DC characters, it is interesting to note (as I am confident all here are aware) that when it came time for the Super Friends cartoons in the early 70's, Wonder Woman was automatically one of the main members, was featured in the show, and remained a staple character throughout the run of the series.

Which again begs the question (for me), why is Wonder Woman completely absent in the Filmation Justice League episodes or otherwise.

Thank you in advance for your time and your insight.
    Last edited by megotoys; Mar 12, '12, 9:07 PM.
  • The Toyroom
    The Packaging King
    • Dec 31, 2004

Could it be that the rights weren't available at the time, due to the pilot attempt made by William Dozier? That's the only thing I can think of. Filmation did use WW later on in an episode of The Brady Kids but that might've been a one time only thing...
    Think OUTSIDE the Box! For the BEST in Repro & Custom Packaging!

Comment

• madmarva
      Talkative Member
      • Jul 7, 2007

Cause she's a girl

Comment

• ShadowAvenger
        Career Member
        • May 14, 2007

Perhaps Filmation couldn't figure out how to do white wash S&M for kids at the time.
        Read my blog at Moongem Comics about comics, toys and more.

Comment

• johnnystorm
          Hot Child in the City
          • Jul 3, 2008

I'd assume it was an issue of contract rights. They didn't use Supergirl or Batgirl either.
          And why didn't Batman or Robin (both very popular from the TV show) ever appear in the JLA or Teen Titans episodes?

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

My guess would be licensing issues. Filmation had an above average amount of female characters and heros in their cartoons and did add Batgirl to the New Adventures of Batman series in the 70s.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

And yet Wonder Girl was in the Teen Titans cartoon. You'll sleep alot better at night if you don't try to figure out the logic behind the decisions made by cartoon companies.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Licensing can be weirdly complicated. Like, Filmation couldn't use the Riddler because of Superfriends and Hanna Barbera couldn't use the Joker because of New Adventures of Batman.
                Last edited by Werewolf; Mar 12, '12, 11:59 PM.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Werewolf
                  My guess would be licensing issues. Filmation had an above average amount of female characters and heros in their cartoons and did add Batgirl to the New Adventures of Batman series in the 70s.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v826...D9C70152C4E465
                  Batgirl was in the 68 series.
                  Last edited by thunderbolt; Mar 13, '12, 3:19 AM.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Wonder Woman WAS in development for a second Filmation series (along with Metamoprho and a few others) for the 1968-69 TV season. But suddenly Filmation had the opportunity to do the previously unavailable Batman, so that show was unfortunately scrapped.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Figuremod73
                      That 80's guy
                      • Jul 27, 2011

I was thinking there was some Wondergirl solo episodes but Nope!
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw2jv...eature=related Just the titans.

In the late sixties the whole superhero revolution was postponed due to various groups who thought there was to much violence on Saturday morning kid shows. It affected the Hanna-Barbara heroes such as Birdman and SpaceGhost as well.
                      I had a hard time finding information on it:
                      What Happened to Saturday Morning Cartoons?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

The direction of Super Friends was a direct response to those parent groups. The SF never encountered actual villains, just misguided folks. No punches were ever thrown. Slowly over time, all of this hoopla eased up, hence the more aggressive "Challenge" season, and it's follow-ups.

There's a hilarious bit on a Batman:The Brave and the Bold episode, where Batman and Robin once again team-up with Scooby-Doo, thanks to Bat-Mite. He magically changes the "cartoon", allowing Batman, Robin, Scooby and Shaggy to actually beat the snot out of Joker and Penguin.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I bet they explored her, it may have just never launched. Filmation had pilots for a lot of DC characters in the works, the two I remember are Metamorpho and the Black Hawks.

Filmation had no issue putting her in the Brady Kids show, which always felt like a back door pilot.

(Edited to not that Chris already said some of this, reading is fundemental.)
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Figuremod73
                            That 80's guy
                            • Jul 27, 2011

Brave and the Bold shall be mine on dvd. I already miss it.

Comment

• huedell
                              Museum Ball Eater
                              • Dec 31, 2003

I like this thread

Seriously, the Filmation cartoons are what got me interested in SF...
                              and the whole DCU to begin with.

I love hearing what you guys know about the behind the scenes stuff I never heard.

And METAMORPHO is as good a solo series hero as any as far as I'm concerned.

Wonder Woman shoulda been a no-brainer save for rights issues.
                              "No. No no no no no no. You done got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna'. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. I think I'll scoot over here right by this winda', let this beautiful carriage rock me to sleep, and dream about how lucky I am." - Chris Mannix

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎